World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

Mon the Kiwi’s! Been here for coming up 8 years so they are my adopted team. Football is certainly growing here and has over taken rugby in terms of participation. I’ve done my C License coaching and got a good gig at a good club so qualification will mean more money for the federation which will trickle down to my level and boost facilities.

With the women’s World Cup coming up soon over here and Australia, things are on the up.

2 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Costa Rica V New Zealand tonight. I want Costa Rica to win on account of their population being poorer and also more into football than NZ so it'll mean more to them. I like NZ as a nation, though, so will still be happy for them if they win. On the pitch, I've always liked Costa Rica since I first saw them play Brazil in the 2002 world cup. They lost 6-2 in that match but were really entertaining. Their 2014 quarter final run was amazing and deserved. They've gone a bit more stodgy and defensive in recent years but they're still a fun side.

New Zealand for me, purely because they hardly ever qualify. Costa Rica will likely be better value, though.

I remember that 2002 game; despite being up against a Brazil side who were absolutely flying, Costa Rica did surprisingly well and didn't give up. They had a good run in 1990 too, although you might not want to look that one up.

4 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Costa Rica V New Zealand tonight. I want Costa Rica to win on account of their population being poorer and also more into football than NZ so it'll mean more to them. I like NZ as a nation, though, so will still be happy for them if they win. On the pitch, I've always liked Costa Rica since I first saw them play Brazil in the 2002 world cup. They lost 6-2 in that match but were really entertaining. Their 2014 quarter final run was amazing and deserved. They've gone a bit more stodgy and defensive in recent years but they're still a fun side.

I want them both to lose because of 1990 and 1982 respectively.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

I want them both to lose because of 1990 and 1982 respectively.

Aye, dirty Kiwi b*****ds should've let us score seven instead of just five!  :lol:

I was too young for that game, but I watched an extended highlights video on YouTube a while back - from 3-0 up, we really did have an impressive go at throwing that match away. Considering defence used to be one of our strengths, we were pretty shocking at that tournament.

22 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Apparently the Peru keeper had his penalty instructions written on a bottle, and the Aussie keeper just threw the bottle into the crowd!

Lol funny if true..

I think we need a re-think on penalties as a decider at the top level. The gamesmanship, un-sporting behaviour, antics and basic shit-housery in trying to get a small advantage has gone too far now...from both the keepers and the penalty takers.

The Peru keeper was just as annoying in his facing the takers down, delaying, the whole charade of checking the ball was on the spot, leaving his goal for water.

Don't get me started on the whole stuttered run up..

Feel for the Peru players, no way to go out a tournament. But as a nation they kinda deserve it for declaring a national holiday before they have even qualified should of fact checked first - was a national holiday to watch the play-off, not for qualification.

Edited by Dylangt7

Lol funny if true..
I think we need a re-think on penalties as a decider at the top level.

What options are there? FIFA tend to trial rules changes at the youth level but I don't remember seeing any trials related to this part of the game.

No matter what you do players will come up with some crazy antics to try and get an edge.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

New Zealand for me, purely because they hardly ever qualify. Costa Rica will likely be better value, though.

New Zealand will basically be at every one going forward given that OFC is getting an automatic place.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

New Zealand will basically be at every one going forward given that OFC is getting an automatic place.

CONCACAF's getting six places, so Costa Rica will almost always be there too.

Still got my hopes that we'll see the Solomon Islands at some point!

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Apparently the Peru keeper had his penalty instructions written on a bottle, and the Aussie keeper just threw the bottle into the crowd!

:lol:

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Unless Australia decide to "go home" and re-join Oceania. 

Initially it looked like the right move to AFC as they had two automatic spot qualifications but that arguably coincided  with there "golden generation".  Now they are back to relying on the Inter continental play off anyway! Probably an argument that the extra competitive games in AFC have helped navigate the play off lottery than use to be the case. Used to be Australia only had two real competitive games in 4 years to qualify for a WC.

However they've done it, its not as easy as perceived. 5 consecutive tournaments is a better record than Italy and I doubt Scotland would have come through the below qualification path each time.

2006 - Inter-continental play off v Uruguay- 5th placed South American 

2010 - Automatic - Winners ahead of Japan

2014 - Automatic - 2nd behind Japan - beating Iran, Jordan and Oman,

2018 - Inter continental play off v Honduras - 4th place CONCACAF

2022 - Inter-continental play off v Peru - 5th placed South American 

anyway its the World Cup and all the better for it to have teams from all the confederations, who wants to watch a Euros with Brazil and Argentina added.

Its a cup and needs upsets and unusual match ups.

Asia are getting several extra places as well so Australia will cruise through that no bother unless they get even worse this time. Scotland or any other mid-ranked European team would definitely have a far better chance of qualifying if we were in any other confederation that isn't Europe or South America.

There is a balance to be struck, and I think the next balance of having over half the teams being from outside of Europe/South America at the next World Cup has gone too far in the opposite direction. There will be some fairly poor teams at the tournament who have barely had to earn their spot, whilst European teams in particular will see very little change in terms of their chances of making it through.

Edited by craigkillie

26 minutes ago, Dylangt7 said:

Unless Australia decide to "go home" and re-join Oceania. 

Initially it looked like the right move to AFC as they had two automatic spot qualifications but that arguably coincided  with there "golden generation".  Now they are back to relying on the Inter continental play off anyway! Probably an argument that the extra competitive games in AFC have helped navigate the play off lottery than use to be the case. Used to be Australia only had two real competitive games in 4 years to qualify for a WC.

However they've done it, its not as easy as perceived. 5 consecutive tournaments is a better record than Italy and I doubt Scotland would have come through the below qualification path each time.

2006 - Inter-continental play off v Uruguay- 5th placed South American 

2010 - Automatic - Winners ahead of Japan

2014 - Automatic - 2nd behind Japan - beating Iran, Jordan and Oman,

2018 - Inter continental play off v Honduras - 4th place CONCACAF

2022 - Inter-continental play off v Peru - 5th placed South American 

anyway its the World Cup and all the better for it to have teams from all the confederations, who wants to watch a Euros with Brazil and Argentina added.

Its a cup and needs upsets and unusual match ups.

If we're not there who's going to be the "upset"?

Nine of the ten South American teams would be competitive at every world cup and while Bolivia would be shit, they'd still be on par with or better than some of the Asian duffers who're going to be qualifying in future. If South America had a load of diddy nations like the other confederations that'd create enough left over teams to argue for more than the six spots. They could take Suriname, Guyana and French Guiana back off CONCACAF.