Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

Just now, Glen Sannox said:

But as you’ll know only too well Gordon, Scottish politics is now a binary scenario.

It's really not. The Scottish Parliament is more diverse than the UK parliament, even though that parliament covers 4 countries.

I could never vote for a dickhead like Cole-Hamilton, even if it meant spoiling my paper. I've spoiled my paper before because the candidate from the only party I could vote for was an arse and I'd do it again.

Electing dickheads only harms your side over time. It's better to lose with the right candidate than win with the wrong candidate.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

It's really not. The Scottish Parliament is more diverse than the UK parliament, even though that parliament covers 4 countries.

I could never vote for a dickhead like Cole-Hamilton, even if it meant spoiling my paper. I've spoiled my paper before because the candidate from the only party I could vote for was an arse and I'd do it again.

Electing dickheads only harms your side over time. It's better to lose with the right candidate than win with the wrong candidate.

It may indeed be diverse, but they are diverse yes’s or no’s. 

15 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

Absolutely, I didn’t suggest it was, but it’s the only way of keeping the “civic and joyous” out of Edinburgh Western.

I notice you keep using this 'civic and joyous' thing now. Even against those who were critical of the gun boats being sent to Jersey on the other thread. 

Staggering lack of self awareness tbqhwy.

32 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I comfortably predict no list MSPs in Mid Scotland and Fife for Alba. And if the SNP lose Perthshire South & Kinrosshire, they might have been looking for something on the list.

If the SNP lose constituencies then the indy games a bogey regardless of the regional list vote.

Just now, Double Jack D said:

If the SNP lose constituencies then the indy games a bogey regardless of the regional list vote.

That's an oddly self-defeating take.

Constituency seats aren't more important than regional seats, and in the 2011 landslide, when the SNP got a majority, they "only" won 53 constituencies. 

7 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

It may indeed be diverse, but they are diverse yes’s or no’s. 

Yes. There were three No parties on your ballot paper and you voted for one of them who you accept is a bawsac, for the sole purpose of keeping the Yes side down.

Even though independence could never happen without a referendum anyway.

It applies both ways, Yes & No - it's really reductionist to use your vote for literally nothing more than defeating the other side on one solitary issue, especially when it means giving victory to a bawsac.

5 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I notice you keep using this 'civic and joyous' thing now. Even against those who were critical of the gun boats being sent to Jersey on the other thread. 

Staggering lack of self awareness tbqhwy.

It’s not really a staggering lack of self awareness. It was a retort to the predictable/puerile, appalling gammon banter and support of the French by the resident Nats. 

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Yes. There were three No parties on your ballot paper and you voted for one of them who you accept is a bawsac, for the sole purpose of keeping the Yes side down.

Even though independence could never happen without a referendum anyway.

It applies both ways, Yes & No - it's really reductionist to use your vote for literally nothing more than defeating the other side on one solitary issue, especially when it means giving victory to a bawsac.

There has been page upon page in this thread of yes voters pointing out how to vote tactically and keep the nasty yoons out. The result of which, may entail bawsacs getting elected.

8 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Who is the rumoured high turnout good for? A lot of yoons turned up to vote in the referendum despite hardly ever voting in elections so I suspect there is anti-SNP tactical voting going on

On the other hand, younger demographics tend to not vote as much, but split for the SNP by a large margin, so if turnout is up in those cohorts...

Who is the rumoured high turnout good for? A lot of yoons turned up to vote in the referendum despite hardly ever voting in elections so I suspect there is anti-SNP tactical voting going on
Was it not the case that a large number of working class voters came out for the first time and voted Yes?
Turnout may be up but will still be below 60% and a lot less than any UK election

Ive voted, but overall just feel a bit ‘meh’. SNP will fall just short of a majority, tories will refuse and indy ref and we’ll just have another 4 years of not very much happening and Willie Rennie photo ops. Just my prediction. 

On that topic. I know there is a clear lack of talent in the party but how much longer does Willie Rennie stay as leader? Obviously not entirely his fault but they are looking at being 4th again by a fair few seats, while their leader has built a brand of being a joke figure. Surely some within the party want to be taken seriously up here, which they will never be whole Rennie runs around playing wizards and posing with giant deck chairs.

I'd be more pessimistic than optimistic about a high turnout. 

Hardly a peep about independence from Nicola and her pals whilst poll after poll telling NO's Nicola is getting a majority, think the pollsters may have swung this away from the SNP, she'll only have herself to blame if that's the case. 

Edited by ayrmad

On that topic. I know there is a clear lack of talent in the party but how much longer does Willie Rennie stay as leader? Obviously not entirely his fault but they are looking at being 4th again by a fair few seats, while their leader has built a brand of being a joke figure. Surely some within the party want to be taken seriously up here, which they will never be whole Rennie runs around playing wizards and posing with giant deck chairs.

Cole-Hamilton will chuck Rennie under the bus the very first chance he gets.

It’s hard to have a go at Rennie’s record. The Lib Dems are now a very minor party UK wide, and that isn’t his fault. There’s almost nothing he can do about it.

Anas Sarwar looks like he might suffer the same fate. To be honest I think he’s had pretty much as good a campaign as a new Labour leader possibly could’ve done, and he still looks set to lose seats.

Was it not the case that a large number of working class voters came out for the first time and voted Yes?
Turnout may be up but will still be below 60% and a lot less than any UK election

I think in the campaign there was a widely held belief that a lot of new voters were registering to vote yes. But then on the day, turnout was pushing 90%+ mainly in heavily no voting council areas like Stirling and Edinburgh. There was a lot more added turnout from unionists than expected. I wonder if these people have turned out again.

8 minutes ago, Paco said:

Cole-Hamilton will chuck Rennie under the bus the very first chance he gets.

It’s hard to have a go at Rennie’s record. The Lib Dems are now a very minor party UK wide, and that isn’t his fault. There’s almost nothing he can do about it.

Anas Sarwar looks like he might suffer the same fate. To be honest I think he’s had pretty much as good a campaign as a new Labour leader possibly could’ve done, and he still looks set to lose seats.

Not convinced about Labour, I think they might pick up a chunk of list votes from Tories. 

The sort of sadacts who do political Twitter can't pretend to be ITK about vote swings yet (although that won't stop Baroness Davidson from letting us know the postal voting results), so they're pretending to have a clue about turnout instead.