Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

Guest Jedi

Cue the next few months of Douglas Ross and Johnson banging on about 'there is no mandate, as the SNP didnt win a majority/it was all settled in 2014' now.

1 minute ago, BigDoddyKane said:

the Tartan tories thats true, in the past they were clearly

No, it's never been true at all, it's always been a total misunderstanding by folk who've never given it any thought.

The SNP started winning constituencies in the NE of Scotland by uniting the working class/ anti-Tory vote. There's not a shred of evidence to suggest their vote came from the Tories, it came from Labour and the Libs. Labour were generally weak in rural areas because they didn't have the big, unionised workplaces and the large numbers of people living together, and the working class in those areas were somewhat more into national identify than class identify.

The lazy thinking is that these areas used to return Tory MPs, then they returned SNP MPs, ergo it must have been Tories voting SNP. If that were the case then the Labour and the Lib Dems would still be big parties in those areas and it's the Tories who'd have suffered. The opposite is clearly true. 

So after all that the SNP and the Tories have the same amount of seats as they did before it all began - according of the Beeb forecast. Bit of... an anticlimax.

IMG_5054.jpg

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I seriously doubt people in Scotland would be able to successfully guess which side of the constitutional divide up to around 90% of the population is on simply by looking at their facial features or that they would usually have a very good idea of somebody's probable political leanings simply by looking at their name. We'll never truly be anything like Ulster even if we have some of the same social divisions on the go in parts of the central belt.

I was just referring to electoral behaviour rather than wider society. 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

We’re they ever really?

Yes, the minimum number is 5. They'll be off the Parliamentary Bureau, they'll have much less input into the business of parliament and I think their questions at FMQs will be cut back.

6 minutes ago, GordonS said:

BBC projection has the Lib Dems down to 4 MSPs. That would mean they are no longer a group.

What does this (for those us who are dafties)? No right to ask questions alongside the other parties, etc?

Just now, Antlion said:

What does this (for those us who are dafties)? No right to ask questions alongside the other parties, etc?

They'll be off the Parliamentary Bureau, they'll have much less input into the business of parliament and I think their questions at FMQs will be cut back.

Just now, GordonS said:

They'll be off the Parliamentary Bureau, they'll have much less input into the business of parliament and I think their questions at FMQs will be cut back.

Cheers - saw you’d answered already just as I posted. Ta!

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Maybe a kindly Tory will defect to the Lib Dems.

I mean they already banded together to get the four seats, why not lend them a fifth?