Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

1 minute ago, tarapoa said:

Latest GDP per capita globally put UK at 22nd in the world.

This was behind Ireland, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Iceland, Finland, Netherlands, Sweden and Austria.

Conclusion - being a country in Northern Europe with a low population, you would have to make a hell of an arse of things not to be prosperous. Throw in abundant natural resources and that’s even moreso - which is why I struggle with this default to Tory from the affluent, especially with the one-way ticket to Boris’ xenophobic Daily Express cloud-cuckoo land that’s currently on offer.

Then the issue is that someone most likely the SNP is it? arent selling it well enough and answering those questions those people have

It all comes down to someone being able to sell independence, this is where I have a bit of an unpopular opinion that Sturgeon is a good politcian but for indy2 it needs to be a leader with a bit of something more

16 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Of course we are- but what would it be pegged to the Euro or the pound? Is sterlingisation the answer? Loads of questions that need to be considered. Not just a case of 'omg look at our new bawbees'

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You don't know which approach would be taken any more than I do.

11 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I often wonder if those who seem to wet their pants over the currency issue, to such an extent that it may have a major influence on their vote for independence, are able to function when they go abroad....are they able to cope with the use of euros in Europe...or do they just not try and pack their suitcases full of teabags and baked beans?

Well for me, if you believe indy Scotland should inherit a proportionate share of the UK’s debt then it should inherit a proportionate share of its assets and reserves ie the Bank of England, that would easily support a new currency being established for a country the size of Scotland. We also have the beginnings of the investment bank etc. On the whole I feel quite positive about all things currency. 

This was always going to end up in court. Johnson won't give a f**k about saying No and would have done so with 70 SNP seats. 
This...anyone who think the fat entitled p***k was going to roll over to an SNP majority is moon howling. It was always going to end up in the courts.

It was laughably transparent when some seats didn’t fall to the SNP that all the ‘panicked’ tweets about an SNP majority emerged.

It’s not that difficult a narrative to counter either by formalising an agreement with the Greens who appear to be doing well or jumping on the fact that even the BBC have been pretty consistent over the last two days in pointing out that a pro-indy majority already exists.

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

And he's talking shite.

I really don't see how. Currently sitting on 62 with only Edinburgh North and Leith to declare, giving them 63, then possibly one list seat to come in the South of Scotland and even that isn't a certainty. Unless they are picking up another list seat from somewhere besides the South, and they do indeed pick one up there, then I don't see how they can possibly have 65 seats.

19 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Two reasons from what I can tell.

Firstly, not everyone experienced the carnage you are talking about.  Most people in Scotland did very well out of Thatcher and the Tories. This isn't convenient to hear but it appears to be the truth of it.

Secondly, not everyone in Scotland feels Scottish. They feel British. It's as simple as that. You'll never persuade them to ditch that feeling of Britishness any more than than they could persuade you to ditch your feeling of being Scottish.

Personally, I think the way to go here is to persuade them that Scottish indepedence is not about "Scottishness" or "Britishness" but simply about where decisions affecting Scotland are made and about who makes those decisions. People can still feel British in the same way that many of us feel European and others can still feel Scottish.

The problem for a lot of people is that the whole debate is wrapped up in flags - Scottish and UK - and the idea of "freedom from the English" and that's what's causing such vicious societal divide. It's very unfortunate and unhelpful to have the debate wrapped up like that.

That's my take on it.

You’re not far out there.

For me, the Thatcher years were liberating and lifted me out from my Council house upbringing in to new uplands of opportunity.

Also, I love my British heritage with the language which we share with our English neighbours and all the cultural ties which we have . Much more so than with our European friends.

Your analysis is quite accurate.

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

And he's talking shite.

How are they going to get 65?

Maybe one in the south, taking it to 64, but plenty of results have already come in and they're nowhere near anywhere else.

So let's say 2 years time pandemic has settled, things are back to normal, support for Indy is as it is now, do people here want to have a referendum in that situation? 

I hope we force their hand and actually have one tbh. 

I really don't see how. Currently sitting on 62 with only Edinburgh North and Leith to declare, giving them 63, then possibly one list seat to come in the South of Scotland and even that isn't a certainty. Unless they are picking up another list seat from somewhere besides the South, and they do indeed pick one up there, then I don't see how they can possibly have 65 seats.
Highlands & Islands

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:
3 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Highlands & Islands

They’ve already announced H&I, they got 1. 

How are they going to get 65?
Maybe one in the south, taking it to 64, but plenty of results have already come in and they're nowhere near anywhere else.

They aren’t. JLD is wrong, as usual.