Scotland Vs Faroe Islands Weds 31st March

Gordopolis

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

All we can say for sure is. The more centre backs we have on the pitch, the more attacking we will play.

Apparently 

If they are good centre backs then the wing backs move forward , and become '' pseudo " wingers  , providing the width

It helps if they can put good crosses in. O' Donnell has certainly put in a couple

IIRC going back to Craig Brown's era and the 3 - 5 - 2 Tosh McKinlay , or Tom Boyd , were at  LWB 

They could be relied upon to provide good crosses

e.g. McCoist's goal against Bulgaria 

away draw

Edited by ewan14

2 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

While I agree in general, it's a simple way of getting at the bigger problems. It was more 5-2-3 against Austria, and 5-3-2 against Israel, but it is the details that are more important. The main issue with the 5 at the back is that it has left us playing like we're a man down in many areas of the pitch. For the Austria match and half the Israel match we played like we were playing with a back 4 with an additional centre half, which left so much space just outside the box and left us a man down trying to press further up the pitch. And when you've got Stephen O'Donnell at wing back, you're not going to be a massive attacking force down the right, and particularly against Austria Robertson was pinned in at left back. It's the classic add a third centre half because you don't trust any 2, but it didn't work. 

The worst thing about it is that this group has been an absolute gift. Winning the group would be like finishing second in 9 out of 10 WC qualifying groups that we'll be in. We should have been taking the risk and going for it, but we've been far too passive. I could understand defending the system as being not too defensive if McTominay was still in the back three and there was an attacking right wing back, but that's not what we did and it left very little of the flexibility in the system to become something different - O'Donnell isn't suddenly going to become a winger, Hendry or Hanley aren't suddenly going to step out and dictate play from the back, etc. It hasn't worked and it has left us with no margin for error in the group whatsoever. 

I thought Hendry might have stepped out but ..

16 hours ago, gannonball said:

A heads gone already and the game is days away against a bunch of fishermen, some forum this.

I think it's just the sickening realisation that another qualification is down the toilet after 2 games.  I'd be delighted to be proved wrong but won't resume any hope until Denmark and Austria drop points against the likes of Israel.  I stopped believing in magic years ago. 

13 hours ago, Mr Tourette said:

From what I can see, Clarke has played 352 for no other reason than to avoid getting sworded by 4 goals like we did by Belgium (twice) and Russia when playing 442

That shouldn’t be the case against Faroes but I think he’ll stick with it regardless

1 )  Not necessarily a bad idea , especially against Serbia

2 ) fair point

Just now, ewan14 said:

If they are good centre backs then the wing backs move forward , and become '' pseudo " wingers  , providing the width

It helps if they can put good crosses in. O' Donnell has certainly put in a couple

IIRC going back to Craig Brown's era and the 3 - 5 - 2 Tosh McKinlay , or Tom Boyd , were at  LWB 

They could be relied upon to provide good crosses

e.g. McCoist's goal against Bulgaria 

away draw

Tends to work better if the opposition will come forward and offer some attacking intent. I dont think the faroes are going to be coming here with a swashbuckling style. Leaving gaps.

They will be delighted to sit deep and watch 3 centre backs passing it around with nobody to hit.

24 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Tends to work better if the opposition will come forward and offer some attacking intent. I dont think the faroes are going to be coming here with a swashbuckling style. Leaving gaps.

They will be delighted to sit deep and watch 3 centre backs passing it around with nobody to hit.

The whole point is that they don't leave gaps so you try to drag the frpm position i.e centre halves stepping forward.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

The whole point is that they don't leave gaps so you try to drag the frpm position i.e centre halves stepping forward.

So we have a centre back stepping into midfield to find a pass, with their 10 men in front of him.

Marking our 8 men, as we have 2 guys sitting back marking nobody.

They won't have an issue closing him down in their half.

Let's see what the manager does, hopefully he's got some sense.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

I am fairly certain we will move to a back 4 tomorrow evening. 

The Faroes don’t seem to lose heavily anymore. By a few goals yes but no longer 6,7 or 8.  That said we certainly do not need to be top heavy in defence.

Also wonder if he will freshen up a little as may want to avoid so many players playing 3 games in a week. I mean Surely Gallacher and McKenna can ably replace Hanley and Hendry for example. Give Liam Palmer a game.  Try another goalie also. 

Not talking about changing all 11. I would still start Tierney, McTominay, McGinn, Fraser and Adams. 

Start on the front foot for once and win by 2-4 goals and hope Denmark win or it is a draw. We would rather not have the Austrians get a home win as they probably remain our most realistic target for 2nd spot. 

48 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I am fairly certain we will move to a back 4 tomorrow evening. 

The Faroes don’t seem to lose heavily anymore. By a few goals yes but no longer 6,7 or 8.  That said we certainly do not need to be top heavy in defence.

Also wonder if he will freshen up a little as may want to avoid so many players playing 3 games in a week. I mean Surely Gallacher and McKenna can ably replace Hanley and Hendry for example. Give Liam Palmer a game.  Try another goalie also. 

Not talking about changing all 11. I would still start Tierney, McTominay, McGinn, Fraser and Adams. 

Start on the front foot for once and win by 2-4 goals and hope Denmark win or it is a draw. We would rather not have the Austrians get a home win as they probably remain our most realistic target for 2nd spot. 

You're correct.  They have improved significantly, but they don't offer much in attack.  They aren't minnows like San Marino or Gibraltar, but they've failed to build on their campaign where they beat Greece home and away.

They've conceded four goals on six occasions in the last two years, and largely, have very poor away results.

We should be winning this with ease, irrespective of whether we win 2-0 or 4-0.

I'd expect to see us going four at the back, but my big fear is that we start with McBurnie, McLean, McGregor etc. with the inevitable collapse in creativity.

I'd personally love to see Fraser, Dyke, Adams all to start, with an attack-minded three central midfielders - Armstrong, McGinn, McTominay ideally...

I'm expecting to be disappointed...

32 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

You're correct.  They have improved significantly, but they don't offer much in attack.  They aren't minnows like San Marino or Gibraltar, but they've failed to build on their campaign where they beat Greece home and away.

They've conceded four goals on six occasions in the last two years, and largely, have very poor away results.

We should be winning this with ease, irrespective of whether we win 2-0 or 4-0.

I'd expect to see us going four at the back, but my big fear is that we start with McBurnie, McLean, McGregor etc. with the inevitable collapse in creativity.

I'd personally love to see Fraser, Dyke, Adams all to start, with an attack-minded three central midfielders - Armstrong, McGinn, McTominay ideally...

I'm expecting to be disappointed...

I can't help but think of the San Marino away game immediately after the Kazakhstan horsing. We lined up with Johnny Russell and McLean in the side (okay, McLean has gone on to be decent for us, but not amazing) and Callum Patterson either started or was brough on early IIRC. Total hoofers XI. Shambolic and horrible to watch game.

Absolutely not the time to be pissing about with the second team. I'd like to see Clarke going with something along the lines of the 4-5-1/4-3-3 that started the second half against Israel, but in trying to sort out the Robertson/Tierney conundrum I've been wondering if there's a possibility of Robertson playing midfield - he has the fitness, passing and tackling ability and has a decent strike on him if given time, he could also link up well with Tierney and Fraser on the left to create decent overloads at times while also covering if Tierney pushes forward, gives Tierney a well deserved shot at LB without the controversy of dropping Robertson.

Gordon

O'Donnell Hanley Hendry Tierney

Armstrong McTominay Robertson

Christie  Adams Fraser

Never going to happen ultimately, but would be interesting to see.

2 hours ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Absolutely not the time to be pissing about with the second team. I'd like to see Clarke going with something along the lines of the 4-5-1/4-3-3 that started the second half against Israel, but in trying to sort out the Robertson/Tierney conundrum I've been wondering if there's a possibility of Robertson playing midfield - he has the fitness, passing and tackling ability and has a decent strike on him if given time, he could also link up well with Tierney and Fraser on the left to create decent overloads at times while also covering if Tierney pushes forward, gives Tierney a well deserved shot at LB without the controversy of dropping Robertson.

Gordon

O'Donnell Hanley Hendry Tierney

Armstrong McTominay Robertson

Christie  Adams Fraser

Never going to happen ultimately, but would be interesting to see.

Palmer in for O’Donnell and A. midfielder in for Robertson and that’s a good team - arguably better than the XI that finished against Israel. 

Anyone else wish we were playing Denmark or Austria tomorrow night instead of the Faroes?

Feels like there is a ghost to be exorcised (showing we can control and win Vs a decent team) but against the Faroes we can't really prove much.

Just now, Gordopolis said:

Anyone else wish we were playing Denmark or Austria tomorrow night instead of the Faroes?

Feels like there is a ghost to be exorcised (showing we can control and win Vs a decent team) but against the Faroes we can't really prove much.

I feel a bit flat about the whole thing now tbh, and not really looking forward to it. Regardless of who were playing. Cant help thinking we've blown it already, and we're already looking for unlikely results.