Midlands League

Marten

On 06/05/2023 at 23:28, ScottishLoon said:

I'm out of the loop when it comes to the midland league but having seen how consistent carnoustie have been last two years, What's the chances of them meeting the sfa licence criteria anytime in the near future? 

slim to none I'dve thought.

On 06/05/2023 at 23:28, ScottishLoon said:

I'm out of the loop when it comes to the midland league but having seen how consistent carnoustie have been last two years, What's the chances of them meeting the sfa licence criteria anytime in the near future? 

From last June, don't know how much progress they've made since then. The SFA have put a hold on license applications anyway.

"This season has seen us start to put plans in place to develop Laing Park and these plans continue at pace, now we are part of the SFA Pyramid, we can now progress upwards but to do that we need to be holders of an SFA Licence and to do that, a covered enclosure and floodlights are the two major requirements along with a raft of minor improvements.

"I am delighted to say that we have made significant progress on these projects over the last few months and will be progressing them over the next 12 months and our target is to be licenced by the end of the 2023/24 season.”

https://www.anguscountyworld.co.uk/sport/football/scotland-football/carnoustie-panmure-want-more-after-title-winonecms7d3b6658-9cb1-4b0e-9f8f-bdb7daa4c3c4/

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Inverness Courier overegging Lochee United's chances a bit.

Lol, for us to still claim the title, ALL of the following needs to happen:

• us winning away at Carnoustie
  • Carnoustie getting only one point in total against Violet (12th), Blairgowrie (16th) & FWE (bottom), or 2 points while throwing away the 12 goal lead in GD
  • Broughty failing to beat both Scone (14th) & St. James (15th)
  • Downfield getting no more than 6 points against Brechin Vics (18th), Kirrie (7th), Violet & St. James

I wouldn't advise to bet on that happening! Realistically, we'll finish 4th or maybe 3rd if Downfield have a poor end to the season.

It's something they are going to have to sort out for next season, especially with Montrose joining. 

It would have to be 19 games then top/bottom 10 split for 9 more. Is 28 league games enough though? Has to be better than squeezing in 38 games each plus the cups at this level

36 minutes ago, Spyro said:

It's something they are going to have to sort out for next season, especially with Montrose joining. 

It would have to be 19 games then top/bottom 10 split for 9 more. Is 28 league games enough though? Has to be better than squeezing in 38 games each plus the cups at this level

To be fair, Montrose Roselea joining doesn't change much. With 19 clubs one team is idle each round. The only real difference is that with 20 teams nobody will be idle anymore. But in my opinion, more games should be played midweek early in the season.

9 hours ago, Marten said:

To be fair, Montrose Roselea joining doesn't change much. With 19 clubs one team is idle each round. The only real difference is that with 20 teams nobody will be idle anymore. But in my opinion, more games should be played midweek early in the season.

I suppose it's the same number of game-days needed. I was more thinking about getting the season finished on time so there can be a playoff.

At the moment it's a long wait for the team bottom of the HL and 2 of the 3 feeders have still got a bit to go. It's the same down south as well but not as severe, more league games getting played earlier will help though if there's room. 

Edited by Spyro

The Highland League has to finish its fixtures ridiculously early to fit in with the HL/LL/SPFL play offs, I find it really annoying football's finished before the end of April just when the weather's getting less miserable. Maybe we could do what the Lowland League's doing, delaying their League Cup until their league fixtures are done, possibly something the Midland could do with one or more of their cups? If any teams are involved in play offs they could do a Spartans and drop out.

20 hours ago, welshbairn said:

From last June, don't know how much progress they've made since then. The SFA have put a hold on license applications anyway.

https://www.anguscountyworld.co.uk/sport/football/scotland-football/carnoustie-panmure-want-more-after-title-winonecms7d3b6658-9cb1-4b0e-9f8f-bdb7daa4c3c4/

Thanks 👍

On 08/05/2023 at 21:06, Marten said:

Short of starting the season even earlier or playing 3 games a week i cannot see how the teams can play any more midweek games early in the season (Those without floodlights)

If i remember correct by the 5th midweek of the season most teams had played 9 or 10 games, which is 1/4 of the season.

More teams with floodlights would help.

On 09/05/2023 at 07:28, welshbairn said:

The Highland League has to finish its fixtures ridiculously early to fit in with the HL/LL/SPFL play offs, I find it really annoying football's finished before the end of April just when the weather's getting less miserable. Maybe we could do what the Lowland League's doing, delaying their League Cup until their league fixtures are done, possibly something the Midland could do with one or more of their cups? If any teams are involved in play offs they could do a Spartans and drop out.

The East Region League Cup has only just started, so that's effectively the same as for the LL. The biggest issue was Carnoustie/Downfield having had quite a few games called off.

Carnoustie, Broughty & Downfield all won last night, so now there will officially not be a licensed champion, something we already realistically knew quite some time. 

Carnoustie are clearly in the driving seat with 82 points and 3 games remaining, Broughty also have 82 points, but only 1 game remaining. Downfield are 5 points behind with 3 games remaining. Carnoustie are clearly in the driving seat. If they beat Lochee United on Saturday, they can clinch the title away against Forfar West End next Wednesday. A draw in either game would also see them clinch the title if Downfield drop points either away against Kirrie or at home against Violet. Failing that, they can also win the title at home v Blairgowrie on the last day of the season.

26 minutes ago, Marten said:

Carnoustie, Broughty & Downfield all won last night, so now there will officially not be a licensed champion, something we already realistically knew quite some time. 

Carnoustie are clearly in the driving seat with 82 points and 3 games remaining, Broughty also have 82 points, but only 1 game remaining. Downfield are 5 points behind with 3 games remaining. Carnoustie are clearly in the driving seat. If they beat Lochee United on Saturday, they can clinch the title away against Forfar West End next Wednesday. A draw in either game would also see them clinch the title if Downfield drop points either away against Kirrie or at home against Violet. Failing that, they can also win the title at home v Blairgowrie on the last day of the season.

Kudos to Carnoustie who have shown incredible consistency and resilience over the season. A big squad definitely helps as the season goes on. Looks like the title is in the bag now.

A notable mention to Broughty though. Other than a couple of poor results early doors, they've been bang at it for a good few months now. They deserve to finish runners up imo. 

1 minute ago, BigSash said:

Kudos to Carnoustie who have shown incredible consistency and resilience over the season. A big squad definitely helps as the season goes on. Looks like the title is in the bag now.

A notable mention to Broughty though. Other than a couple of poor results early doors, they've been bang at it for a good few months now. They deserve to finish runners up imo. 

Yeah, can't argue with either to be honest. They have simply been the most consistent. That has been our issue, on our day we can beat anyone in our league, but we're just not consistent enough. I think the main priority for next season should be more squad depth.

3 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

I dunno if that lot ever see any games or what ground-level knowledge they have of anything. Their weekly POTW polls occasionally raise an eyebrow. 

It was voted on via a Twitter poll in fairness. The turnaround in Scone has been tremendous, although not sure that merits manager of the ‘season’.