Midlands League

Marten

Certainly an interesting scoreline today. As the north playoff setup indicates the round-robin will go ahead even if only BoD are licensed, you've also got the potential scenario of BoD and East Craigie scudding Loch Ness plus East Craigie humping BoD, who finish runners-up but nevertheless progress to paste Fort William, who then drop to the league with Loch Ness (presumably)?!

Just been told that Derek Mitchell and Jay Smart have left Lochee Harp and have now taken charge of Cupar Angus.  Wonder what went wrong at Lochee harp as they seemed to be doing a good job there. 

P.s Great for Cupar Angus.

Edited by Welly boy

A 4-0 win for us at Violet today, I wasn't there, but from what I've heard it was much better than the Tayport game last week. I'm happy about this, I'd still want us to finish the season well. Obviously we have to build further for next season now but I'm sure that's where the focus will be on now.

Edited by Marten

2 minutes ago, zenon said:

Assuming the ML have several new applications for next season but not enough to make a second tier ie. tier 7, would they go for a North/South split like it was last season in the ERJ? 

If they have enough for North/South, doesn't that meand they'd have enough for Tier 6/Tier 7 if they wanted?

11 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If they have enough for North/South, doesn't that meand they'd have enough for Tier 6/Tier 7 if they wanted?

This would mean relegation would have to be introduced really late into the season and I don't know if it would go down well with the bottom clubs.

1 hour ago, zenon said:

Assuming the ML have several new applications for next season but not enough to make a second tier ie. tier 7, would they go for a North/South split like it was last season in the ERJ? 

Any idea who would be likely to apply for the Midland League?

Trying to think from what leagues presumably most of the local junior sides are already involved, except the Perth region ones that went to EoS.

Would top amateur sides be likely to apply if interested?

30 minutes ago, zenon said:

This would mean relegation would have to be introduced really late into the season and I don't know if it would go down well with the bottom clubs.

Well even without new clubs they need to be considering splitting into two divisions given the number of games (36) and the large difference in quality between the top and bottom teams. Adding a couple more would surely make it impossible to remain as a single division.

Splitting north/south doesn't look like it would work too well with 6 Angus + Blairgowrie + Coupar Angus, you'd need to be splitting Dundee clubs which they wouldn't want.

Bottom clubs would surely prefer more competitive games?

17 hours ago, zenon said:

I disagree on that point.

I am sure all clubs are aware the league would like to expand, and thus what the implications of that would probably mean.

I think even one more accepted club would possibly mean 2 leagues of 10 and certainly not waste another season with conferences.

Straight to Tier 6 & Tier 7 for me.

Much like in all the set ups it would be correct albeit odd to see the likes of Jeanfield Swifts apply and head into the Midlands 2nd Division.

I do feel a club like that may see a path to the Highland League as 99% more achievable than the Lowland League.

Be interested if @Cumbo had any thoughts.

Haven't heard anything about it but there's no reason not to have everyone all in at this stage.

Letham and St James (and Harp to an extent with their Menzieshill influx) have shown that there can be a fairly smooth transition from decent ammys to fair to middling juniors.

No to conferences for me. We know what's what. 

St James were able to use St Joseph's old ground and Letham had an unusually good setup for an amateur club regardless of the knockback from the EoS, so who else has access to something similar this time around? Breadalbane do and get mentioned on here whenever this subject crops up but then don't actually apply.

Can't think of anyone else with a suitable ground (Stobswell and Osborne's old ground is now a cemetry and a second coming for Bankfoot, Alyth, Errol, Balbeggie or Crieff Earngrove seems unlikely) so that basically makes Luncarty, Jeanfield, Kinnoull and Montrose Roselea the prime suspects to put the old Tayside regional setup back together again but they may be happy where they are.

Nobody is talking about putting the Tayside back together or even necessarily adding MAFA sides to the current single Tier set up but there could easily be a pathway between MAFA and the ERSJFA

Depends what kind of ground you think you need to compete in Tier 7 or 8 of the northern pyramid.

In my opinion the best ground and enclosed pitch currently sitting outside the ERJSFA is youth side Monifieth Athletic.

The Fireys play out of Charlotte Street which is part of NW Community Sports Hub and there are plans to have a 3g cage in place there soon.

Invergowrie is in a public park but there is changing rooms and exclusive use of the pitch.

Wellbank same as Invergowrie.

I think there are currently 38 clubs playing in ERSJFA and MAFA at the last count. I would have to check as there are more teams than that as there B teams, ammy versions of juniors etc but I think its 38 individual clubs.

So room for 3 divisions potentially but who knows how many ERSJFA will be in Tier 5 or higher in 10 years time.

In terms of Dundee venues:

There's always Dundee Uni (or another club) that could play out of Riverside - Enclosed pitch there.

Gussie Park is getting a renovation and doesn't have a Saturday tenant - although could be problematic with Dundee and United (or could be an opportunity, for say a 1pm KO)

There's also the new Regional Performance Centre (which is just a 3G Cage with a roped off spectator section) but seems good enough for SWPL2. There's even a 3G cage on Arbroath Road at Craigie High - that only needs fencing a barrier to prevent free entry on one side.

So plenty of potential grounds for an ambitious Am. club.

Outwith Dundee - Breadlabane seems to be the common shout.

Edited by Ray Patterson

Could something along the lines of what the WoSFL is doing with the 4th division no appease all? Anyone who wants to join, even if their pitch isn't up to par yet, can join a lower tier for next season, no-one is relegated this season, and then the clubs that are in the position to go up from the lower tier do so?