The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Not sure Clark is, but Kelly probably is the short term solution.  Kind of hoping for a Neil Sullivan type, under-the-radar, solid-if-unspectacular type to find a Scottish granny from somewhere.  

Kelly,  McLaughlin, McRorie in that order short term solution 

Clarke should have made some effort to involve above 

Tom Cairney plays at higher level and earns more money than Callum McGregor, Ryan Jack, Lewis Ferguson, David Turnbull, Kenny McLean and Allan Campbell. He isn't a better player than any of them, which is why all of them have been capped by Scotland since Clarke got the job and Cairney hasn't.

While it is obviously true that better players tend to gravitate to higher levels and higher wages, there are always exceptions to this and you're more likely to find exceptions in the case of goalkeepers who were at a massive club at a young age not playing often. Gunn is one example of this, still living off his reputation as a goalkeeper of massive potential because he was at Man City. This is why he's only played about 120 games in his career at the age of 26.

I’ve only seen Gunn playing in the EPL and he was absolutely shite every time, but the likes of Clark and Kelly would probably also look a bit shite if they were playing at Premier League level.

No idea how he’s getting on in the Championship this season.

12 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Surely Craig MacGillivray would be a better option than Kelly or Clark. 

Doesn't get a game in league one this season so would be hard to judge his form. Not that there's really anyone in great form this season.

7 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I don’t know where you’ve pulled those numbers from but very confident it won’t have been an accurate source. 

I'm extremely confident they're bang on. They're absolute in the nose what you would expect in every case, but you wouldn't know that.

7 hours ago, gannonball said:

I know the championship can be mental for wages but there is no way the Norwich 2nd choice goalkeeper is getting 40 grand per week.

He's first choice. And signed that contract when they were in the premiership. You know that place Kelly and Clark will only ever watch on TV.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes pulled them from here, i guess, as im sure hes quoted it before then gone on a 3+ post rant about how right he is after folk tell him its made up bollocks based on Football Manager and guesswork

https://salarysport.com/football/scottish-premiership/heart-of-midlothian/

Theyre claiming Stevie May, who had signed a deal when he joined to challenge our highest earning player ever, is on £600 a week, less than our 2nd choice keeper and over £2k a week down on his previous contract. 

Nope 

5 hours ago, Empty It said:

Angus Gunn better than Gordon, someone had too many Christmas shandies. 

Miles better. Not remotely controversial. At his peak Gordon was better, but Gordon's peak ended twelve years ago.

The fuckin nonsense you read on here I'm not honestly not sure I can take much more. And the level of arrogance from some fandan who plays FIFA to think you know better than the people who work in the game at the highest level and decided to pay Gunn multiples of what Gordon gets is truly staggering.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Tom Cairney plays at higher level and earns more money than Callum McGregor, Ryan Jack, Lewis Ferguson, David Turnbull, Kenny McLean and Allan Campbell. He isn't a better player than any of them, which is why all of them have been capped by Scotland since Clarke got the job and Cairney hasn't.

While it is obviously true that better players tend to gravitate to higher levels and higher wages, there are always exceptions to this and you're more likely to find exceptions in the case of goalkeepers who were at a massive club at a young age not playing often. Gunn is one example of this, still living off his reputation as a goalkeeper of massive potential because he was at Man City. This is why he's only played about 120 games in his career at the age of 26.

Cairney told Scotland he doesn't want to be considered for selection years ago and is a better player than all of them except McGregor.

Football is 100% about money. Everything is money. I don't know what's difficult to understand about that.

Gunn's contract is nothing to do with Man City he was released as a kid. It's his quality and potential as a goalkeeper.

I'm making the most simple, basic and obvious point imaginable and have had multiple fanfans try to argue it's not true. You see why I treat so many people's opinions with contempt? It's what they merit.

If I was discussing this with some people who actually know football there would have been not even a raised eyelid to any of this as it's obviously true then the conversation would have carried on. Instead you have to spend days trying to prove water is wet to a bunch of clowns.

22 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Cairney told Scotland he doesn't want to be considered for selection years ago and is a better player than all of them except McGregor.

Football is 100% about money. Everything is money. I don't know what's difficult to understand about that.

Gunn's contract is nothing to do with Man City he was released as a kid. It's his quality and potential as a goalkeeper.

I'm making the most simple, basic and obvious point imaginable and have had multiple fanfans try to argue it's not true. You see why I treat so many people's opinions with contempt? It's what they merit.

If I was discussing this with some people who actually know football there would have been not even a raised eyelid to any of this as it's obviously true then the conversation would have carried on. Instead you have to spend days trying to prove water is wet to a bunch of clowns.

Season 2 Lol GIF by Friends

43 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

He's first choice. And signed that contract when they were in the premiership. You know that place Kelly and Clark will only ever watch on TV.

A tad pedantic perhaps but The premiership that you speak of  has not existed since 2001. 

What source are you using for this 40k a week salary as from I can see he is not earning that much. He may well have earned that when they were in the Premier League but would be amazed if he does in the championship .

1 hour ago, HalfCutNinja said:

And the level of arrogance from some fandan who plays FIFA to think you know better than the people who work in the game at the highest level 

Sorry didn't realise you were Alex Ferguson.

See to be fair, he does have a point. I mean, I don't know if Gunn actually earns £40k per week, but surely a guy playing at the top end of the championship is worth a look over a guy playing for Motherwell, who didn't make the grade at QPR, or a guy whose been warming the bench for Hearts?