The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 13/11/2022 at 19:35, craigkillie said:

The young keepers aren't playing because they aren't good enough, rather than not being good enough because they aren't playing.

Considering the total dross the clubs have brought in from abroad to play in front of them,  i would suggest that's debatable 

3 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Yeah its pretty sad, but I dont see him coming back. Certainly not up to international level, were going to have to think outside the box now. As mentioned by others, its a perfect chance to go for Angus gun again, he surely must be tempted as he's never in a million years getting an England call up.

Probably but I wouldn't mind us just rubbering him like he rubbered us.

As it happens I watched his dad's solitary cap and saw him knock out Hossam Hassan I think his name is from very close range.

Real gutter for Craig Gordon, the best Scotland goalkeeper in my lifetime bar none, the period where we had Gordon, McGregor and Marshall as our 3 options was quite something. It'd be incredible to see him come back from this at his age but it's probably not likely so thus goalkeeper becomes a massive issue for us (although long-term it was already a big problem - evidently shown by this thread). I don't think Kelly, McLaughlin or McCrorie are currently good enough to be Scotland No.1, even though some have suggested that big Craig was declining at club level this season he was still a far better option than those 3 IMO. Unless Clarke manages to persuade Angus Gunn then I suspect it will probably be Kelly, the decision to have capped no other goalkeeper since the now-retired Marshall at the Euros obviously doesn't look particularly good at the moment. 

Its not as big a deal as a new outfield player coming in to start games. But I do think its fair enough people pulling Clarke up for not capping a new keeper in the previous friendly. It could have put us a bit further forward than we are now, with little cost.

1 hour ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Probably but I wouldn't mind us just rubbering him like he rubbered us.

Its world cup qualifying, unfortunately were not France and able to ditch players we don't like.

Angus Gunn is pretty pish is he no? Is he massively better than the likes of Kelly or Clark? Neither of whom I think will ever be up to the standard either.

I think our next keeper will be the worst we've had in my lifetime. We've been amazingly blessed with McGregor, Gordon & Marshall but even before then, I don't think the above are near the quality of the likes of Douglas & Sullivan who in themselves were stop gaps between the Gordon era and the Leighton & Goram era.

Totally against the idea of Gunn, he’s consistently been against the idea of playing for us so he can beat it as far as I’m concerned. 

One of Marshall/Kelly/Clark/Mcrorie will do me until one of the latter 3 makes the position their own. 

Would love for Gordon to come back and get a few appearances at club level so he can finish his career on his own terms but the priority has to be his ongoing health and hopefully he doesn’t try to rush back. 

Just now, Central Belt Caley said:

Totally against the idea of Gunn, he’s consistently been against the idea of playing for us so he can beat it as far as I’m concerned. 

One of Marshall/Kelly/Clark/Mcrorie will do me until one of the latter 3 makes the position their own. 

Would love for Gordon to come back and get a few appearances at club level so he can finish his career on his own terms but the priority has to be his ongoing health and hopefully he doesn’t try to rush back. 

I might have missed something, is there an article or something hinting at how many times hes been asked or something?

Or has he said something negative about Scotland?

If hes turned Scotland down early in his career when holding out for England and now might have a different mindset, then great. Id say get him in.

Id rather get the best players we can get tbh. I know he's not brilliant, but at this moment he's as good as it gets id say.

There's always the possibility that Angus Gunn, being born and brought up in East Anglia to an English mother, doesn't feel any particular kinship towards Scotland. I know the general assumption is that players will turn up for the most successful nation that wants them, but that's certainly not always the case, especially as plenty of players seem to end up viewing international football as a nuisance.

We seem to have discounted the SPFL candidates as unsuitable, but hopefully one of them can grasp the nettle and prove themselves up to the task. Unfortunately, we're going to end up saying "Craig would've got that" every time they concede, so a tough hide will be necessary.

12 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I might have missed something, is there an article or something hinting at how many times hes been asked or something?

Or has he said something negative about Scotland?

If hes turned Scotland down early in his career when holding out for England and now might have a different mindset, then great. Id say get him in.

Id rather get the best players we can get tbh. I know he's not brilliant, but at this moment he's as good as it gets id say.

I believe he’s been asked by Mcleish and Clarke and turned them both down. If he still believes he can become Englands number 1 then fair play to him, but I would prefer people who would jump at the chance to play for Scotland not have to be begged.

I get what you’re saying about getting the best players we can but Kelly/Clark have shown their commitment to the squad over the last couple years turning up to effectively be second/third choice. If Gunn’s head is only turned when he knows he’ll be first choice then that shows his mentality towards us and I’d rather we didn’t go for him. 

We all knew this was coming but unfortunately Gordons injury has moved the timetable up a year or two. 

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I believe he’s been asked by Mcleish and Clarke and turned them both down. If he still believes he can become Englands number 1 then fair play to him, but I would prefer people who would jump at the chance to play for Scotland not have to be begged.

I get what you’re saying about getting the best players we can but Kelly/Clark have shown their commitment to the squad over the last couple years turning up to effectively be second/third choice. If Gunn’s head is only turned when he knows he’ll be first choice then that shows his mentality towards us and I’d rather we didn’t go for him. 

We all knew this was coming but unfortunately Gordons injury has moved the timetable up a year or two. 

I hear you, but the same could be said and was said about che adams. He had to be persuaded and asked a couple of times. I dont think there's many who would want rid of him now.

3 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Like Che Adams

I couldn't care less about a player refusing call-ups before if they're willing to commit now and are good enough.

This doesn't apply to Angus Gunn, because although neither Kelly or Clark are good enough to be long term options they're both better goalkeepers than him.

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I couldn't care less about a player refusing call-ups before if they're willing to commit now and are good enough.

This doesn't apply to Angus Gunn, because although neither Kelly or Clark are good enough to be long term options they're both better goalkeepers than him.

No they're not, or they wouldn't be at a lower level than him and earning a fraction of what he earns.