The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He's better than what we have available just now and will be number 1 for a few years as long as he's willing to show up and play. A lot of the issue I can guess would be that he wouldn't commit to Scotland as he'd rather be missing out on England squads than getting called up to warm Scotland's bench, which is understandable.

He's still a downgrade on more or less every keeper we've had in the past 12 or so years but not as drastic a drop in quality as the alternatives.

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He's better than what we have available just now and will be number 1 for a few years as long as he's willing to show up and play. A lot of the issue I can guess would be that he wouldn't commit to Scotland as he'd rather be missing out on England squads than getting called up to warm Scotland's bench, which is understandable.

He's still a downgrade on more or less every keeper we've had in the past 12 or so years but not as drastic a drop in quality as the alternatives.

I agree with this but isn't that worrying?How many young goalies have we saw in last couple off years U21 squads at big clubs that we never see again?Really all the young keepers need to find clubs and get gane time,and that is hard cos manager don't trust young keepers doesn't matter the level Scottish championship English league 2 but they need to play 

It should be interesting to see what happens with the Goalkeeping situation with Zander Clark, Liam Kelly and Angus Gunn all touted and playing regularly but also with David Marshall saying this:

I am more than happy, given the respect I have for him (Steve Clarke), to speak to him

David Marshall

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-keeper-david-marshall-opens-up-on-scotland-return-lee-johnson-and-clubs-form-3977129

and Michael Beale saying this:

I feel this year the narrative around Jon is a poor one. In my time at the club previously, and since I’ve been back, Jon’s record per game with wins and clean sheets is outstanding. He made quite a high-profile mistake (Celtic) but I don’t think we should condemn him.  It’s important I keep Jon focused and feeling like he is wanted and loved around here, because he is.

Will I use Allan and Jon this season? If I think it’s right, yes. It’s nothing against Allan. He came out a few weeks ago at Ross County for Jon to go in. I just had a hunch that I wanted Jon to play this game. We’ve played it, we’ve won and hopefully now some of the fuss can go away. We win with Allan and we win with Jon, so that’s a good sign.

Michael Beale

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10037566/rangers-boss-michael-beale-allan-mcgregor/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Admittedly I’ve only watched the 2 derbies vs Hibs and a few other wee clips on Sportscene but Zander Clark seems solid enough if Gordons not available. 

If yesterdays showing vs Raith is similar to how Kelly has been playing for Motherwell consistently then he should be nowhere near the next squad imo 

20 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Admittedly I’ve only watched the 2 derbies vs Hibs and a few other wee clips on Sportscene but Zander Clark seems solid enough if Gordons not available. 

If yesterdays showing vs Raith is similar to how Kelly has been playing for Motherwell consistently then he should be nowhere near the next squad imo 

He has it in him not to just throw in a clanger, but have a performance in which it looks like he’s never played football before.  If he’s starting for Scotland, we’re in more trouble than we thought.