Heads Gone - The Peppino Impastato Memorial Thread

58 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Well, I'm not claiming to be an expert but the territorial disputes are alleged to have stemmed from (at least) two religious groups being awarded/claiming land rights under the authority of the supposed creator of the cosmos.  I'm not really making any claims about when these awards/claims "happened", because I'm not convinced any such involvement of a deity "happened".

As I understand the story, various areas of land in the allegedly Holy Land were promised to the Jews in what is regarded as the Christian Bible. Genesis, IIRC. Thereafter areas became Muslim in the 5th or 6th centuries. As the alleged site of the Prophet's ascension to Heaven, I think Jerusalem is claimed by Islam. There then followed various crusades, wars etc. As I mentioned in another post somewhere, I find the lack of references to the middle east in school history surprising given its political and social consequences.

Mind you, as part of the Muslim story appears to state that the Prophet's horse had face of a woman, the body of a horse and the tail of Peacock, let's just say I find the whole tale a bit... how should I say... unconvincing. In much the same way as I find the Bible unconvincing.

(Just heard a caller on LBC claiming that "God has had enough".  Regrettably that's the kind of gibberish that gets in the way of any progress.)

Seems to me that the only possibility of peace in the area (a possibility that I acknowledge is so remote as to be almost nonexistent) would be to take the contradictory religious claims out, chuck them in a bucket, and treat the whole thing as an international land dispute.  Seems to me that with political parties and armed groups claiming that a deity is on their competing sides, believers in Gods have a veto on peace. Not a tenable situation and IMO ludicrous in the 21st century.

Never stopped anyone else...

Aye there clearly is a "good IRA" who fought the British in 1916-1923. That's the one alluded to in "we're all off to Dublin" and "boys of the aul' brigade".  In fact, as far as I can discern, all of Celtic's song book seems to reference that conflict rather than, say, the blowing up of shopping centres.

Oh, there is the "SAM" song which is more about "the troubles", but aye, as nauseating as Celtic fans can be in their romantic exceptionalism, they're not wrong here.

A half arsed semi resignation post?

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There really wasn't any need for that. I've no idea what part of my post you think screams "arrogant twat" but since my posting style clearly completely offends everyone this will be the last one outside of the Managers thread on Infowire for the foreseeable future. I've absolutely had my fill of it to be honest.

And I have absolutely no memory of offside ever being anything other than level being onside. As you've provided evidence of it I'll happily concede I'm wrong about that, but I don't remember it.

Bye.

On 12/10/2023 at 13:56, velo army said:

Aye there clearly is a "good IRA" who fought the British in 1916-1923. That's the one alluded to in "we're all off to Dublin" and "boys of the aul' brigade".  In fact, as far as I can discern, all of Celtic's song book seems to reference that conflict rather than, say, the blowing up of shopping centres.

Oh, there is the "SAM" song which is more about "the troubles", but aye, as nauseating as Celtic fans can be in their romantic exceptionalism, they're not wrong here.

Guardian article explaining why Rangers and Celtic fans would share common ground in disliking a song.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/13/ireland-embrace-zombie-song-rugby-world-cup-stirs-debate-lyrics

8 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

“Go On Home British Soldiers” is from the “Bad IRA” era

It was written in 1972 as a reaction to Bloody Sunday as far as I'm aware, and specifically rails against an occupying military force, which leans more towards freedom fighter than "bad IRA". 

It very much sounds like I am white knighting my big team here, so I'll quit while I'm marginally ahead.

2 minutes ago, velo army said:

It was written in 1972 as a reaction to Bloody Sunday as far as I'm aware, and specifically rails against an occupying military force, which leans more towards freedom fighter than "bad IRA". 

It very much sounds like I am white knighting my big team here, so I'll quit while I'm marginally ahead.

Fine. “Roll of Honour” then. They sing plenty of songs that have nothing to do with the old guard.

Just now, The Other Foot said:

Fine. “Roll of Honour” then. They sing plenty of songs that have nothing to do with the old guard.

Fair enough, perhaps the songbook has broadened since I last had close mates who were Celtic fans and I've not shared a stadium with Celtic fans since about 2008. The original point was the poster claiming that the IRA were scum, ignoring the historical nuances and the inextricable ties there are between Celtic and Ireland.

I'm still happy to lambast the Celtic support as dewy eyed bores and cultish morons, but fair's fair.

Just now, scottsdad said:

I am pleased - no, delighted - to say I know f**k all about the arse cheek's songbooks. 

Someone could tell me that Agadoo is actually a reference to some ancient battle and I wouldn't know if they were being truthful. 

^^^^^big team found.