The Big P&B Hive Mind Euro 2020 Squad Thread/Poll

Les Cabbage

I’ll just swap McLean out, injury is too close to the time so will just void all votes for him with no replacements so it’s easier.

Honestly totally gutted for him, he’s never let Scotland down, don’t ever recall him pulling out, good penalty taker and could have played  a big role with Jack out, in you come Billy Gilmour.

Goalkeepers (3)

Marshall, Gordon, McLaughlin. 

Defenders (10)

Robertson, Taylor, Tierney, Cooper, Hanley, McKenna, Hendry, Considine, O'Donnell, Palmer.

Midfielders (9)

Gilmour, Armstrong, McGregor, Fleck, McTominay, McGinn, Turnbull, Forrest, Christie.

Strikers (4)

Fraser, Dykes, Adams, Nisbet.

• Toss up between Gallagher and McKenna, but I don't think we need both and it wouldn't surprise me if Clarke included both in his squad and dropped Cooper in light of Coopers lack of recent game time.
  • Toss up between Turnbull and Gauld, but I don't think we need both.
  • Nisbet edges it on recent form although I'm not totally convinced by any of our competing backup strikers.

On 11/05/2021 at 16:14, accies1874 said:

Boring questions but will there still be a "provisional squad" named, and if so, will that be an increase on the typical 30?

I think due to covid/bubbles and the fact they’re allowing 26 seems to suggest there won’t be as there’s been nothing about it in the press, I’ve not seen anything definitive though.

Scotland’s twitter saying the squad is now to be released on the 19th of May.

The deadline shall be moved forward to tomorrow at 23:59.

Apologies for the late notice but with the date changing and I’m moving to a new flat next week I won’t have much time.

The results shall be posted on Sunday, get your late votes in.

Edited by Les Cabbage

Keepers (3): Marshall, McLaughlin, Gordon

Defenders (10) :Tierney, Robertson, Taylor, Considine, Hendry, O’Donnell, Gallagher, McKenna, Hanley, Palmer

Midfielders (9) : McTominay, McGinn, Christie, Armstrong, Turnbull, Gilmour, Forrest, McGregor, Fleck

Attackers (4): Adams, Dykes, Fraser, Nisbet

Players to miss out (beyond obvious injuries): Paterson, Shankland, Burke, Cooper

Commentary: with recent injuries and 3 extra players, there is more opportunity to bring in players who otherwise wouldn’t have made it - Turnbull, Gilmour, Gauld, Patterson etc. All four could easily hold a squad place, and offer something different, but I expect that the squad players of Taylor, Fleck, Palmer to make it, even if they offer little variation and are significantly weaker than those in starting positions (as opposed to the former four who are both as good as starting options, whilst also offering a change if required).

Clarke doesn’t seem to have much of a vision beyond immediate fixtures on each squad pick since he’s started, so that’s what makes me think that the four uncapped players are unlikely to make it. The flip side is that beyond simply padding out the squad (Paterson, Cooper, Burke) there isn’t a good reason not to pick at least a couple of them.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

I was literally sick in my mouth writing some of these down but needs must, I'm afraid. I genuinely didn't think I'd be struggling to fill a squad. 
Goalkeepers

• Craig Gordon (Heart of Midlothian)
  • David Marshall (Derby County)
  • Jon McLaughlin (Rangers)
Defenders
  • Stephen O'Donnell (Motherwell)
  • Liam Cooper (Leeds United)
  • Declan Gallagher (Motherwell)
  • Grant Hanley (Norwich City)
  • Jack Hendry (Oostende)
  • Kieran Tierney (Arsenal)
  • Andy Robertson (Liverpool)
  • Greg Taylor (Celtic)
Midfielders
  • Stuart Armstrong (Southampton)
  • Ryan Christie (Celtic)
  • John Fleck (Sheffield United)
  • Billy Gilmour (Chelsea)
  • John McGinn (Aston Villa)
  • Callum McGregor (Celtic)
  • Scott McTominay (Manchester United)
  • David Turnbull (Celtic)
Forwards
  • Che Adams (Southampton)
  • Lyndon Dykes (Queens Park Rangers)
  • James Forrest (Celtic)
  • Ryan Fraser (Newcastle United)
  • Leigh Griffiths (Celtic)
  • Callum Paterson (Sheffield Wednesday)

Some explanations: Left out Palmer because Forrest and Fraser can cover for O'Donnell. I couldn't include Patterson as I think I've only seen him once. 
Don't shout at me for the CBs. There are others who I don't think are ready (fitness or development) and I just landed on those guys for continuity. Could probably have McKenna in there somewhere but considering that place would just be backup, I'd rather reward Gallagher for getting us to the competition. 
I actually omitted Turnbull before doing this explanation part. There are a lot of options in his position but I think he offers something a bit different to them and he's probably gonna be part of squads for the next 10 years or so - so get him in now (the ages/quality of certain players mean that it would wiser to give Patterson that 'work experience' role). 
I don't like Callum Paterson and worry that Griffiths is a busted flush for Scotland. Paterson's in there to do what McBurnie did in the October games (being a c**t in the last 10 mins or so) and Griffiths is there as a goalscorer (not that he's done much scoring for Scotland). Nisbet was initially in there. 

What will Clarke do? Palmer for Griffiths, Gallagher for Hendry/Forrest and I don't think Turnbull will go

GK

gordon - hearts

marshall - derby

mcglaughlin - rangers

DEF

o'donnell - motherwell

patterson - rangers

tierney - arsenal

robertson - liverpool

cooper - leeds

hanley - norwich

mckenna - notts forest

hendry - oostende

taylor - celtic 

MID

mctominay - man utd

mcginn - aston villa

armstrong - southampton

mcgregor  - celtic

christie - celtic

gilmour - chelsea

turnbull - celtic

gauld - farense 

FORW

adams - southampton

dykes - QPR

fraser - newcastle

nisbet - hibs

forrest - celtic

burke - sheffield utd

Okay so the votes are in, thanks to all that voted and humouring me in this bit of fun, annoying having to bring the date forward, probably would have had more people contribute if it wasn't for that with the date being brought forward. 

39 different players were put forward to fill 26 spaces, not a single vote for Stephen Welsh, Zander Clark, Paul Hanlon, Ryan Porteous, Harry Souttar, John Souttar, David Bates, Lewis Morgan or any of the other jobbers I've heard people say should be in the squad, good.

I'm going to split the results into 5 posts, goalkeepers, full backs, centre halves, centre mid, number 10's/wingers and strikers.

Without further ado

GOALKEEPERS

Marshall.jpg.2c8b0e6a9af71066c708ee1ae6067346.jpg

5 goalkeepers were nominated, probably pretty much as expected with this one.

Allan McGregor received 1 vote, an absolutely outstanding keeper but he's fucked the Tartan Army over too many times for us to go calling for him, if he begged to be in the squad though in fairness I'd probably allow it.

Liam Kelly received 3 votes, a fair shout, probably will be involved after the Euro's with us needing some younger goalkeepers but no point throwing him instead of what got us here.

David Marshall - Of course he's going, receiving 100% of the vote, despite his recent performances he's got credit in the bank for 2 penalty shootouts and rightfully so, suspect he'll be our number 1 although the second choice may have something to say about that.

Craig Gordon - Craig Gordon will feel he deserves a shout to challenge Sir David, had a superb season at Hearts and is arguably more in form of the two, I'm sure we'll see a debate about this in the forums but he also received 100% of the vote, it's fair to say he'll also definitely be there.

John McLaughlin - In spite of a few interesting attempts at spelling his name, McLaughlin takes 3rd spot with a vast majority of the votes, a solid deputy but lets be honest it really makes no difference which goalie is our number 3, could make it Graeme Smith just for bants and wouldn't effect how we do.

FULL BACKS

267063755_TierneyRobertson.thumb.jpg.dc0ecc9508ea6218ac2bb467fa36f03b.jpg

7 different players receiving votes here, Nathan Patterson missing out on a place by the virtue of 1 vote, I can see the reasoning for wanting him in the squad, he'll definitely be there soon and it'll get him some experience, he's probably going to be our future RB/RWB so there's a good case for getting him in.

Greg Taylor stealing a few late votes but not enough to cement him a place, Diego Laxalt bizzarely being played ahead of him is probably his biggest problem, would be pleased to see him leave Celtic in the summer and get him more game time, good footballer, just not had enough football.

Shaun Rooney also got a token St Johnstone fan vote, in fairness he's had a terrific season, scored a winner in a cup final, probably not for me for the squad, fully expect him to score the winner against us in the cup final next week though 🙃.

Kieran Tierney - Another one unsurprisingly with 100% of the vote, he's gone from being targeted by everyone including myself for showing no commitment and always having an excuse to pull out of squad to being our best player uncontested imo, an absolute baller that I've grown fond of since he left Celtic.

Andy Robertson - Our captain, again of course he's going, 100% of the vote too, tremendous for Liverpool, meh for Scotland if you believe some, will he step it up on the big stage?

Stephen O'Donnell - All votes bar one, again, he'll be there, rarely let us down, for someone who plays average for a bottom six fodder Premiership club that turns into prime Cafu for Scotland, I have some love for this guy, that moment up against Alaba was class, was terrific in Serbia.

Liam Palmer - Edges Nathan Patterson by the virtue of a vote, he's not really played for Scotland properly for a while but he was probably our best player in the play off against Israel, a rubbish showing away to Slovenia is probably not helping him, along with his Sheffield Wednesday team going down to League 1, a decent back up option, not as good going forward as O'Donnell though.

CENTRE HALVES

Hanley.jpg.8d71060d03a3711dcbec9a4fe50f7994.jpg

Again, 7 players voted for, 5 making the cut this time however, Andy Considine receiving 4 votes, probably between 2 reasons for this, one being the patter and the song, the other being one performance he's already had against one of our group stage opponents. He's not had a great domestic season for Aberdeen though which rightly stands against him.

Jason Kerr, again receiving a St Johnstone orientated vote, another defender had a great season, similar to Rooney but doesn't make it, probably a future Scotland international though, fantastic football player.

Grant Hanley - If you'd told me 3 months ago that I'd be doing this and Grant Hanley would get 100% of the vote I would have burst out laughing, a man who, before March hadn't been capped in 3 years, his last cap coming against Costa Rica in a friendly, that doesn't quite tell the full story though, he's had his injuries and he's been selected for plenty squads between then and now but pulled out due to injury. A solid league winning season for Norwich where he's been a regular and is captain has elevated him back and a solid showing during the March break confirmed his place. And he's only 29 years old WTF?

Scott McKenna - All votes bar one, he finally got his move down south and he seems to have done well, well liked by the Nottingham Forest fans although it's been a poor season for them, recent Scotland appearances have been fleeting but there's worse players we could have in there.

Liam Cooper - I'm pretty amazed that he only got 15 votes tbh, still enough to grab him a place in the squad though, captain of a side that are in the top half of the English Premier League, feel we're yet to see the best of him for Scotland but hopefully this is his time. However what I will say is that he's been dropped by Leeds recently, a good Euro's showing for him could attract a few suitors.

Declan Gallagher - The Aberdeen bound nutcase is going to be in the squad I would think, he's obviously not had a great domestic season but that performance in Serbia gets him enough credit in the bank to grab him a place, solid defender who won't let us down.

Jack Hendry - Another one, if someone had called for it in November you'd have laughed but the Space Cadet makes it by the skin of his teeth, it's funny, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the first game for us, but I also wouldn't be shocked if he misses out entirely, probably best suited when we're attacking teams due to his ball playing skills, not sure if that's the best shout for the Euro's.

CENTRE MIDFIELDERS

1027244328_JohnMcGinn.thumb.jpg.7c87bfd0e1b4f22dd133b69a190f4659.jpg

The results and picks for this one were skewed in fairness, everyone who was voted for was picked with the exception of Ross McCrorie who bizarrely got a vote, good start to the season with Aberdeen but he's been pants/injured since Christmas.

Obviously Ryan Jack and Kenny McLean would have both been in, they actually both received 100% of the vote before the news broke of their injuries, Ryan Jack has had some superb performances for Scotland and Rangers, his injuries are gutting and will really hurt us. Kenny McLean has never let us down, is fucking unreal at penalties and has had a great season at Norwich, feel sorry for both of these guys.

John McGinn - Despite one user forgetting to include him in his original prediction, he of course got 100% of the vote, name a football supporter from Scotland that doesn't shag union jacks that doesn't love this man with all their heart, he wasn't always this loved by Scotland fans, I remember drunkenly arguing with some w**k at the Cyprus home game who kept shouting that he was shite, I've got skin in the game though and he won me well over in his time at The Hibees. What a player and what a man, recently came out and said how any manager that comes to manage him gets told that no matter what he's not pulling out of squads, my man.

Scott McTominay - 100% of the vote for McSauce, a great season at Man Utd, alot of debate about where to play him, I named him as a midfielder for the sole reason of balancing the squad, but he'll be going, had some good games for us and some not so good, you can't doubt his commitment, though, excited to see what he can do.

Calum McGregor - It was nice of him to wait until the biggest Scotland match in 23 years for him to finally have a good performance for his country but by then he was terrific, he's not been great since for club or country but he's in and he'll play due to Jack and McLean's absence, great player on his day, hopefully he turns it on, another one with 100% of votes.

Billy Gilmour - The first uncapped player to be voted in, is he going to be Andres Iniesta or is he going to end up playing for Brighton? Performed fairly well for Chelsea recently, with the absentee's we've no excuse not to take him, if it were up to me I would play him aswell.

John Fleck - The injury beneficiary, I don't think he had much chance before McLean and Jack dropped out, now he's surely a shoe in, he's never really done much for Scotland however he was instrumental in the Sheffield Utd team that finished towards the top of the English Premier League recently, this season the less said the better, will he arrive at the Euros and become a hero? Who knows?

ATTACKING MIDFIELDERS/WINGERS

christie.jpg.180843787a87a92a228fa641e97fbda0.jpg

Believe it or not, the votes on this were pretty unanimous, not all players received 100% of the vote with some preferring extra strikers than others but every single attacking midfielder/winger put forward has made the squad and two thirds of them getting 100% of the vote.

Ryan Christie - By all accounts he's had a poor season, whether or not this costs him a place in the starting XI remains to be seen but he confirmed his place in the November games, that goal, that interview, he's going, on his day he's the best player in Scotland, he's not had many days this season though, but so gifted, lets hope we see the November Ryan Christie and not the Celtic 2020/21 version, he's playing for a move from Celtic though so hopefully that fires him up a bit.

Stuart Armstrong - Will he make up for not clearing the fucking ball? Had a great season for Southampton and he'll correctly be in the squad, he's only had the odd fleeting appearance for us recently he'd be in my starting XI for the first game though.

Ryan Fraser - Would you believe he's only got 16 caps? It feels like he's been around forever, the guy has scored some key goals for us recently and he'll be in the squad, an average at best season for Newcastle doesn't fill me with too much confidence though.

James Forrest - It says alot for this guys ability that he's making the squad and every single P&B punter voted for him to get a place. He's only played 13 games this season and only came back from injury recently and even then he got a setback that has had him in and out of Celtic's team. A superb footballer that I suspect will be on the bench but he could definitely make a huge impact for us.

David Turnbull - Another uncapped shout, surely he's gonna get his chance, the only shining light from Celtic's shitemare of a year, plenty goals and assists, another fantastic option in the likely event we need to change a game at some point.

Ryan Gauld - I cba with another argument about him but some of the clips emerging from Portugal give us some hope, he's clearly a fantastic footballer. Would he be in my squad? Probably. Will he be in Clarke's? I doubt it. Another baller that's a great option from the bench, time will tell if he gets the nod.

STRIKERS 

2100613753_CheAdams.thumb.jpg.c431cb336b5bdabd4cc743e65127c052.jpg

This position had alot more diverse opinions. 3 players make the cut, but 7 voted for. Lawrence Shankland coming closest, he promised alot on his return to the Premiership but for the most part he failed to deliver, a few goals but not many, arguably crucified by Mellonball, arguably not actually that good, needs a move imo, probably would be a small step to a Hibs/Hearts/Aberdeen if he does go aswell, can't see them getting big bucks for him anymore.

Callum Paterson grabbed a few votes, in honesty, I don't really get it, always looks so clumsy, like a rugby player trying to play football, scored a few for Sheffield Wednesday but they also went down, would rather have a Gauld/Turnbull/Forrest on our bench than this fella.

Leigh Griffiths only took 3, if you were asking me I'd be taking him purely for his ability to do the unthinkable, poor season, lack of fitness but he still has that left peg. Get him on the plane imo.

Oliver Burke took 2 votes, I do get it, someone fast to come off the bench and rustle up aging defenders, aye I do get it but he also is likely to go through on goal and then dribble the ball straight into the keepers hands.

1 vote for Oli McBurnie, probably would have had more and would be in the squad if he hadn't got injured, enough's been said about him and he's either a huddy or his time will come depending on who you ask, after the Slovakia game where he nearly scored a few times I thought we'd get a tune out of him eventually but I'm losing hope.

Che Adams - The man, the myth, the legend? Quite simply our best striker, a big thing us convincing him to play for us, superb performance in Israel from him, he'll be there.

Lyndon Dykes - The wee wife shagger will be there, his form has really dropped since November but he was instrumental in getting us there and the nation love him. Club form has been patchy but he will really ruffle up defenders. 

Kevin Nisbet - The wildcard spot, had a superb season and I've had the pleasure of seeing most of it, a clever player who can link up really well and has a great eye for goal, superb finisher. Would be glad to see him there and don't see any harm, his performance against the Faroes wasn't great but his recent form is probably enough to see him get in ahead of Shankland and co. 

Final Squad

David Marshall, Craig Gordon, John McLaughlin

Kieran Tierney, Andy Robertson, Grant Hanley, Scott McKenna, Liam Cooper, Declan Gallagher, Jack Hendry, Stephen O'Donnell, Liam Palmer

John McGinn, Calum McGregor, Scott McTominay, Billy Gilmour, John Fleck

Ryan Christie, Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Fraser, James Forrest, David Turnbull, Ryan Gauld

Lyndon Dykes, Che Adams, Kevin Nisbet

2 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

STRIKERS 

2100613753_CheAdams.thumb.jpg.c431cb336b5bdabd4cc743e65127c052.jpg

This position had alot more diverse opinions. 3 players make the cut, but 7 voted for. Lawrence Shankland coming closest, he promised alot on his return to the Premiership but for the most part he failed to deliver, a few goals but not many, arguably crucified by Mellonball, arguably not actually that good, needs a move imo, probably would be a small step to a Hibs/Hearts/Aberdeen if he does go aswell, can't see them getting big bucks for him anymore.

Callum Paterson grabbed a few votes, in honesty, I don't really get it, always looks so clumsy, like a rugby player trying to play football, scored a few for Sheffield Wednesday but they also went down, would rather have a Gauld/Turnbull/Forrest on our bench than this fella.

Leigh Griffiths only took 3, if you were asking me I'd be taking him purely for his ability to do the unthinkable, poor season, lack of fitness but he still has that left peg. Get him on the plane imo.

Oliver Burke took 2 votes, I do get it, someone fast to come off the bench and rustle up aging defenders, aye I do get it but he also is likely to go through on goal and then dribble the ball straight into the keepers hands.

1 vote for Oli McBurnie, probably would have had more and would be in the squad if he hadn't got injured, enough's been said about him and he's either a huddy or his time will come depending on who you ask, after the Slovakia game where he nearly scored a few times I thought we'd get a tune out of him eventually but I'm losing hope.

Che Adams - The man, the myth, the legend? Quite simply our best striker, a big thing us convincing him to play for us, superb performance in Israel from him, he'll be there.

Lyndon Dykes - The wee wife shagger will be there, his form has really dropped since November but he was instrumental in getting us there and the nation love him. Club form has been patchy but he will really ruffle up defenders. 

Kevin Nisbet - The wildcard spot, had a superb season and I've had the pleasure of seeing most of it, a clever player who can link up really well and has a great eye for goal, superb finisher. Would be glad to see him there and don't see any harm, his performance against the Faroes wasn't great but his recent form is probably enough to see him get in ahead of Shankland and co. 

Final Squad

David Marshall, Craig Gordon, John McLaughlin

Kieran Tierney, Andy Robertson, Grant Hanley, Scott McKenna, Liam Cooper, Declan Gallagher, Jack Hendry, Stephen O'Donnell, Liam Palmer

John McGinn, Calum McGregor, Scott McTominay, Billy Gilmour, John Fleck

Ryan Christie, Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Fraser, James Forrest, David Turnbull, Ryan Gauld

Lyndon Dykes, Che Adams, Kevin Nisbet

If Clarke chooses this squad I'd be pretty happy with it - tempted to take Griffiths but would understand if he doesn't go

Mclean and Jack are very unlucky with the injuries - both would have went

35 minutes ago, gannonball said:

@Les Cabbage

A marvellous thread. Out of interest was the integrity of PnB maintained by no mention of Perth Pushers in the voting?

ETA - just seen Jason Kerr, name and shame.

Further ETA  - Shaun fucking Rooney? Absolutely disgusting 

The poster in question posted publicly, relatively recently too, won’t name and shamed but feel free to scroll and shame.

1 hour ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

If Clarke chooses this squad I'd be pretty happy with it - tempted to take Griffiths but would understand if he doesn't go

Mclean and Jack are very unlucky with the injuries - both would have went

He’s been pretty miserable tbh past few games by his standards. Strangely he looks fit enough when peeling off defenders but his touch seems to have deserted him, something I thought I would never say.