Fight for 2nd Place - Dundee vs Raith - 24th April.

Just now, The Master said:

“I’ve noticed there’s not been any announcements from the fourth official”

There’s a very good reason for that...

Bobby Geddes is usually on the ball acting as an unofficial fourth official tbf.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Bobby Geddes is usually on the ball acting as an unofficial fourth official tbf.

Yes, but they were talking about added-on time. That’s only shown on the board when there’s a real fourth official. 

Really, really disappointing performance. Losing to Dundee was not unexpected, there hasn't been a great deal between the sides this season and they had to win today. However that manner of the performance was really frustrating.

Dundee got their tactics bang on. Pressed us at the back which forced our centre backs into hopeless punts to the ineffectual Ugwu (Cummings did a fantastic job at this), and mark Hendry out the game. They absolutely cruised most of the game when it mattered.

We came into it into the 2nd half ever so slightly, and you could argue that Hendry or Vaughan should have scored before we did get the goal - but overall I thought we were all over the place. Unable to pass the ball, unable to distribute properly from the back, and unable to apply any sort of pressure up front where it mattered. Too little too late in the end.

A top 3 finish is still a great season regardless of what happens, but you really cant help but feel that without Musonda, Matthews and Vaughan fit and raring to go - and Hendry being in the game, then thats the extent of the success this season.

Edited by CALDERON

Let’s not kid ourselves, the only reason we were in that at the end was because Dundee shat the bed and let us into it. We were woeful today. It’s probably up to Queen of the South whether we finish second or third but today showed that we are prone to putting in absolutely second rate performances. With four, perhaps six games to get promoted then there’s no way we will get through the play offs without a stinker and that will ultimately kill us. If we are missing Musonda and Hendry has a below par performance then we are a shadow of the team we can be. Really disappointing 

That Hendry penalty call looked like a dreadful decision. Thought there were a couple of men playing him on. Tait red card is impossible to tell. Maybe he's off the ground, who knows. I was surprised to see the red. 

Second half played out largely how I expected. Dundee retreated and didn't offer anything going forward, but the Rovers left it too late. If we had a proper, on-form striker throughout this season we'd be lightyears ahead in second. Instead, we feed off scraps and it can't always come through. 

Disappointed not to get the draw in the end, but we knew we had two tough games to finish the season. Really need a favour from Queens now, but I wouldn't rule it out. 

Bitterly disappointing and Dundee merited the three points. Gifted Dundee two goals and then we're up against it. Do nothing for 35 minutes of the second half before finally changing it up and getting our arse in gear. We left it far too late to get back into the game - far too much respect for a team who have shown to have weakenesses. 

We can play so much better than that. If we get Matthews and Musonda back in then we'll be a lot stronger. The likelyhood is we'll need a huge favour off a Queen of the South team who are both rotten and have nothing to play for. Hearts seem to be going great guns despite having everything wrapped up. Hugely frustrating. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms

That will look a lot closer than it was. Completely controlled in nothing higher than second gear. 

As I said at the start of the topic - none of these clubs are troubling the Premiership side. 

Start building for the Championship, lads. Fair play to that Raith side getting into the play-offs. 

We were rotten for most of that game but I don’t think Dundee were great either. We were pretty unfortunate to be 2-0 down in a game where nothing much was going o. One of those games I think, a shot hits a hand by accident and it’s a penalty, a header from a corner is cleared from the line but it’s just over, we have a certain penalty but an offside flag is up.

Dundee will rightly say they didn’t need to do much more since they were ahead, and chasing the game it’s always easy to fool yourself into thinking you deserved something when you didn’t. With Hendry’s chance, Vaughan’s chance and the penalty claim all coming before we finally got to 2-1, I think it just came too late in the end.

Didn’t look a red card to me either but Tait’s out of the play-off first leg I presume, regardless of whether it’s a QF or SF.

Bit of a kick in the nuts there. Friday determines whether we have a chance of promotion or not really.

Deserved win for Dundee, we came into the last 20 minutes or so but left it too late. Looks like we’ll need to win against Hearts next week which is a big ask.

4 big calls from Collum. I have no idea what the handball rule is these days but given the lack of major complaints from us I think he got that and the second Dundee goal correct.

I would like to see the Tait red card and Hendry penalty shout/offside again. The Tait one on first viewing I thought that was harsh. Similarly didn’t think Hendry was offside and should have been a penalty but happy to stand correct when we get the highlights.

Disappointing day and performance but still in our hands for 2nd place going into the last day. We’d all have taken that at the start of the season. Hopefully Matthews and Musonda are back and Hearts are having one of those ‘going through the motions’ days.

To be honest I think Rovers controlled that whole second half because Dundee were happy to sit back. Did Dundee even have an effort at goal after half time? MacDonald with very little to do. Same could be said for us, but we did create in the second and could have maybe sneaked a draw. Whether we finish in second or third we have nothing to fear against teams like Dundee over 2 legs...

Hendry was miles onside at the penalty claim, think Graeme Weir at the same end in the Cup QF all those years ago getting a goal chalked off. At least three yards.

It can only have been the pass into the striker that returned to him. I think it was Gullan. Didn’t get a good enough look on the replay.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

That will look a lot closer than it was. Completely controlled in nothing higher than second gear. 

As I said at the start of the topic - none of these clubs are troubling the Premiership side. 

Start building for the Championship, lads. Fair play to that Raith side getting into the play-offs. 

Piss off you utter twat! Dundee won't be going anywhere unless there's an administration in the equation.

Clearly shows that we are a middlin’ Championship team once you get past a couple of top players and/or you stifle our favorite mode of play. That isn’t a criticism, but actually a compliment to JMcG and PS for getting us to where we are. I expect we’ll be a Championship side next year, and will need to really crack on with firming up the back line, deepening our midfield depth and finding some offensive threats. If we can do that, we’ll be a very serious competitor next year!

Can’t say that Dundee and Dunfermline look composed to threaten to win promotion either, although like us they have shown the ability on an intermittent basis, so who knows?