World Cup 23 qualifiers

Lurkst

Disappointing night all round. Not good enough all over the park. Cuthbert, Weir and Emslie, three players you'd expect to be the driving force each having one of their worst games in a Scotland shirt. A central.defensive pair of Corsie and Howard is severely lacking in pace. Thomas is no number 9. 

Again, baffling decisions from Pedro, some extremely confusing subs as always. Surely he has to walk after that? Not the man for the job for me, and that's not reactionary, I've been saying it for ages.

Will hopefully be able to regroup and qualify for Euro 2025, but some big changes needed.

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Best team won easily.
Pedro needs to go too. We were clueless, and not for the first time….

100%, it's not like that performance was out of keeping with the rest of the qualification campaign, aimless possession at the back and then humping it forward, or incredibly slow working it out to the wings and then hopeful lumps into the box. You can't get away with it every time. If the manager is still the same at the start of the next qualifying campaign it is hard to see a different result.

Big missed opportunity. Scotland once again failing to get anywhere near enough out of a talented group of players, in sharp contrast to a more limited but better organised Ireland team. Pedro saying the players executed the game plan is rather strange too. If that was the case the game plan was shite. 

31 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Disappointing night all round. Not good enough all over the park. Cuthbert, Weir and Emslie, three players you'd expect to be the driving force each having one of their worst games in a Scotland shirt. A central.defensive pair of Corsie and Howard is severely lacking in pace. Thomas is no number 9. 

Again, baffling decisions from Pedro, some extremely confusing subs as always. Surely he has to walk after that? Not the man for the job for me, and that's not reactionary, I've been saying it for ages.

Will hopefully be able to regroup and qualify for Euro 2025, but some big changes needed.

3 years from now and we will be probably still be playing Corsie, Howard, Beattie, Gibson etc etc. Fcking woeful when they're already done

Very disappointing performance and result. I coach the women’s first team at a club here in Auckland that has been chosen as a training venue for a country so would have been great if Scotland were to be based here, but wasn’t to be.

Would have been great to see some Scotland games if they were playing in NZ too.

1 hour ago, cdhafc1874 said:

Pitch & goals should be smaller as the women simply aren't of the same height to cover the goal in terms of the keepers & simply aren't as athletic as the men so the game looks so much slower/laboured on a full size pitch.

Average woman is now around the same height a man was when the football pitch and goal dimensions were defined. 

Irish played an ugly game but it worked, and they ought really to have been two up at the break. Probably a different game if the penalty goes in but if you fluff your penalties you deserve to lose.

I don't think we've gone backwards - we've just stayed the same and every other team has improved. I'm not sure Pedro is the right manager  though Erin Cuthbert's deeper position is apparently where she usually plays in the English Moneybags League.

Passing thought - has Kim Little's International retirement had an effect?

8 hours ago, RightFootLeftFoot said:

Baffling and infuriating. You can see how frustrated she gets as well. Madness with one of our best players.

May be one of our best players but she was absolutely mince last night. Worst I’ve seen her. Over hitting and misplacing passes. The main problem is the defence though. Weak in every position with Corsie, Howard, Docherty, Alexander all prone to errors. Ireland knew this and exploited it. There’s no sign of anyone coming through either so we look gubbed for the foreseeable future.

The quality elsewhere in the squad should have seen us through.. Tactics were dire. Typical Scotland to beat a tough team in Austria then choke against a team below us in the rankings. 

Howard was at fault with the goal but otherwise worked hard - two goalline clearances saved our bacon in the first half.

Got home in time to see the end of the highlights. Panel suggesting we need to look at who's coming through from the U19s. Going by their recent results I'd say naebody. Thinking of the likes of Jamie Lee Napier at Hibs, who went down to Chelsea, didn't make it and has gone down a league. Like the men's game, will more girls be tempted South but not fulfil their potential?

Ireland knew we struggled in the final third and closed it down. Pedro's answer to our goal shyness seemed to be to lull the Irish into a false sense of security by offering no goal threat for most of the game, then surprise them by sneaking on Abi H.

18 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

May be one of our best players but she was absolutely mince last night. Worst I’ve seen her. Over hitting and misplacing passes. The main problem is the defence though. Weak in every position with Corsie, Howard, Docherty, Alexander all prone to errors. Ireland knew this and exploited it. There’s no sign of anyone coming through either so we look gubbed for the foreseeable future.

The quality elsewhere in the squad should have seen us through.. Tactics were dire. Typical Scotland to beat a tough team in Austria then choke against a team below us in the rankings. 

I agree, she was poor on Thursday too. But playing in front of the back four doesn't suit her in the slightest, and in a team with limitations that you rightly point out to be playing one of the best players so out of position is just bizarre.

I'll admit I don't watch the WSL so if that's where she's playing now then fair enough, but I can't see why as she is really not very good at it.

Edited by RightFootLeftFoot

9 hours ago, cdhafc1874 said:

That of course wouldn't be 'equality'

Pitch & goals should be smaller as the women simply aren't of the same height to cover the goal in terms of the keepers & simply aren't as athletic as the men so the game looks so much slower/laboured on a full size pitch.

Good to see the Women's National team doing (in)glorious failure just as well as the Men though...

Not sure why you've put the word equality in inverted commas, but anyway...

It's not that it wouldn't be 'equality', it's that it wouldn't be 'football'. It would be futsal, and futsal is fucking pish. 

For me the issue is the way in which the team is discussed as though its some kind of social movement, as opposed to what it is - a football team that's currently functioning as less than the sum of its parts. In the closing stages yesterday the co-commentator said that "this is a huge eight minutes for the women's game in Scotland", and I understand why women of a certain age see this team as some kind of historic standard bearer, but it's an enormous mantle for these girls to bear. One wonders if its too much.

Disappointing performance all round last night, in a game which Scotland should really have won. Terrible penalty, catastrophic defending for their goal, very little creativity, poor ball retention all over the park. Really really poor stuff.