Do footballers need to 'man up' and 'strap on a pair' re Social Media abuse?

36 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

No, I am attempting to bring some perspective to the issue, as adults are capable of doing without acting all hysterical. Obviously certain players will get more than others. That's actually the nature of an average mate.

Take Paul Pogba, probably gets more than most. So if the average is one per player per day roughly, maybe he gets five. He has 8.5 million followers on Twitter. So five per day from someone with that level of visibility and audience is a tiny, tiny problem. That's the meaning of the word perspective mate. Its obviously wrong and unacceptable, but the way it is presented is as if its an epidemic, it isn't. 

Why should he turn off his DM's then? What did I mischaracterise there?

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Why should he turn off his DM's then? What did I mischaracterise there?

As its clearly the sensible thing to do given he is a high profile figure and the world contains idiots, which can be news to no one. You mischaracterised my view as being the problem is he hasn't done that. 

Just now, HalfCutNinja said:

As its clearly the sensible thing to do given he is a high profile figure and the world contains idiots, which can be news to no one. You mischaracterised my view as being the problem is he hasn't done that. 

🤣

Wild.

1 hour ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Why should he have to? He probably also gets DM’s that he likes, from people who he wants to hear from.

You are suggesting he gives something up that he probably values overall because other people can’t control themselves. 

I don’t actually think the problem is decreasing anyway.

It used to be that Britain was fairly openly racist, I don’t think it’s gotten that much better it’s more that it became less and less acceptable to be so and a lot of it became hidden. It’s starting to come back into the open again, largely due to having had a very racist Brexit campaign, a racist PM backed by a very racist Conservative party.  Worldwide, racism is also fairly evident in a lot of places, I’m not sure we can really claim it ever got less of an issue.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

I had a Nigerian friend at school. Was given the usual racist abuse but it was only by a minority of the folk in school.

Don't know why he didn't just stay at home. Would have made it easier to avoid the abuse.

Did your school have a third of a billion pupils? 

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

State of you idiots taking a trolling scumbag seriously.

Mate I've got no idea who you are but would you not consider calling someone a 'scumbag' for having a different opinion to you abuse? 

And would you not then accept you'd be a massive hypocrite to be opining on abuse footballers receive with that in mind? 

So maybe best pipe down and assess your anger issues.

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

State of you idiots taking a trolling scumbag seriously.

TBF I stumbled across this and replied before I’d seen the Heads Gone thread on GN otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered my hole. 

11 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Mate I've got no idea who you are

Sure about that?

11 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

So on average, in a month, one Manchester Utd player receives about say 30 abusive messages. Or one per day.

Wonder how much racist abuse Brandon Williams is getting. Seems a bit of a waste of time sending him one racist tweet per day.

While we're here, did you know that the average person has approximately one boob and one testicle?

We keep hearing the problem is increasing. I don't think it is.

One one hand there's the actual people living it, plus the charities, academics and experts.

On the other, some guy on a football message board.

I just don't know who to believe.

9 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Mate I've got no idea who you are but would you not consider calling someone a 'scumbag' for having a different opinion to you abuse? 

And would you not then accept you'd be a massive hypocrite to be opining on abuse footballers receive with that in mind? 

So maybe best pipe down and assess your anger issues.

Just block him, switch off your DMs, walk away from the phone, stop posting.

Theres a tendency to say nowadays because of Social Media that everything no matter what is the worst its ever been. I think in most but not all cases that proves to be incorrect when its looked at with some reasoning and perspective.

On the footballers they have the right to complain about and by doing that it hopefully helps those who are impacted by racism that arent in the limelight. Thats who I would want to see helped, i will be honest some multimillionaire footballers arent high on my list but normal people like their young fans etc who are impacted by racism would be on my list of getting it sorted so they dont have to endure that.

In related topic about UK , ive worked in a few countries in europe and found them to be more racist that UK was. Infact i was surprised just how bad racism is in a lot of european countries.