Organised crime thread

20 minutes ago, TAFKAM said:

"Outside Aldi"

I heard the dispute was over some rattan garden furniture that was on special that week.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I sold my Golf GTi a while back. Can see why they are so popular in such crimes though. 

There is basically a drug epidemic in Dundee and everyone knows who it is that brings it in for the most part. They run a massive company that covers three major cities in Scotland. They also run a couple of charities alongside it and its a good presser for the Polis so guess what? We'll just go looking for the folk kicking mirrors off of cars, if you've any information call 101.
Names or GTFO.

On 24/06/2021 at 09:29, Ross. said:

Going back 15/20 years I worked in the Lismore in Partick, which was owned at the time by a well known Glasgow "businessman". One of my first shifts in there, some boy with more than a few second prizes on his face comes up to the bar, mentions that he is a nephew of Mr Beattie and tells me that he will have his drink on the house. Manager overheard the boys request and tells him that he will pay up or the uncle will find out what he is upto. Boy promptly paid and fucked off after his drink. Apparently he was well known for going round the various pubs owned by Beattie and trying the same move on anyone he hadn't seen working there before. Always wondered how many of the chib marks were self inflicted as a result of that kind of behaviour.

I remember when Beattie died, his son was reported as saying he "was a man of principal who knew the difference between right and wrong"...

21 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I remember when Beattie died, his son was reported as saying he "was a man of principal who knew the difference between right and wrong"...

Never met the guy. By the time I worked there he had no involvement in the place. As far as I recall he retained ownership but leased the pubs out because it was easy money with far less hassle at that stage. The only place he seemed really involved with was Oran Mor.

A couple of older relatives grew up in Yoker/Knightswood and knew him from school onwards. They would probably agree with his son, though I get the impression there was a huge element of something mentioned earlier in the thread, that if you were in business with the legitimate side you couldn’t meet anyone nicer and more helpful, but if your dealings were on the other side, it was street rules. I think he stuck to that “Moral code” quite well, and he done what he could to make sure his people done the same.

That is Steven Daniel, the leader of one of the factions in the ongoing gang feud.  Pretty amazing that he survived the attack that left him looking like that.

That is a pretty strange story.  Essentially it seems like they were alleging that Daniel had the accused in that case put a tracker on the car of a florist in her 60s.  Why would he be wanting to track her?  Strathaven is the same place where the local councillor had his house firebombed last week.

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

That is Steven Daniel, the leader of one of the factions in the ongoing gang feud.  Pretty amazing that he survived the attack that left him looking like that.

That is a pretty strange story.  Essentially it seems like they were alleging that Daniel had the accused in that case put a tracker on the car of a florist in her 60s.  Why would he be wanting to track her?  Strathaven is the same place where the local councillor had his house firebombed last week.

The florist thinks it was put there at the request of her husband, who thought she was playing away.

ETA: Florists wouldn’t be the worst cover for anyone wanting goods delivered at short notice and payments made in cash…

Edited by Ross.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Never met the guy. By the time I worked there he had no involvement in the place. As far as I recall he retained ownership but leased the pubs out because it was easy money with far less hassle at that stage. The only place he seemed really involved with was Oran Mor.

A couple of older relatives grew up in Yoker/Knightswood and knew him from school onwards. They would probably agree with his son, though I get the impression there was a huge element of something mentioned earlier in the thread, that if you were in business with the legitimate side you couldn’t meet anyone nicer and more helpful, but if your dealings were on the other side, it was street rules. I think he stuck to that “Moral code” quite well, and he done what he could to make sure his people done the same.

Worked with a guy who used to valet cars for him in the 70s, interesting stories of cleaning copious amounts of blood from the back seats when they were collecting money lending debts, he also found a few finger tips (allegedly) 

4 minutes ago, TAFKAM said:

Right so is it the case the florist is delivering drugs, the husband has had someone fit a tracker to her van because he thinks she's shagging and doesn't know about the drugs, this is not to the liking of the drug dealers, who have been caught removing it and the polis have used this as an opportunity to break that up?

Idle speculation on my part. I have probably read far too much Ian Rankin, Chris Brookmyre, Jo Nesbo, Raymond Chandler and the rest, and I’m sticking to that excuse.

Article about the local councillor who has had to stand down due to repeated firebomb attacks on his home.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/councillor-targeted-by-fire-and-acid-attacks-forced-to-quit-politics-fc72pmdzh

Intersting detail about the spate of firebombings in the last few months, including attacks on Peter Lawell and Allan MacGregor as well as other businessmen. Is someone trying to extort money from these guys?

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Article about the local councillor who has had to stand down due to repeated firebomb attacks on his home.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/councillor-targeted-by-fire-and-acid-attacks-forced-to-quit-politics-fc72pmdzh

Intersting detail about the spate of firebombings in the last few months, including attacks on Peter Lawell and Allan MacGregor as well as other businessmen. Is someone trying to extort money from these guys?

Disappointing to see him step down, I couldn't agree less with his party politics but no-one should be fire bombed out of their perfectly legitimate job.

As for extortion you would imagine if they had been asked to pay up to stop it happening again then that would be in the news? Could just be some mental pyromaniac on a rampage.

10 minutes ago, 101 said:

As for extortion you would imagine if they had been asked to pay up to stop it happening again then that would be in the news? Could just be some mental pyromaniac on a rampage.

Maybe, maybe not.  I remember reading an account of how a Chicago mafioso extorted a legitimate businessman who ran a pizzeria.  Two rough guys approached the businessman and demanded that he pay $300k in a one off payment. Co-incidentally the owner bumped into a mobster he knew from school minutes later and he arranged to reduce the payment to merely $100k plus monthly payments.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2007-07-04-0707031467-story,amp.html

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Maybe, maybe not.  I remember reading an account of how a Chicago mafioso extorted a legitimate businessman who ran a pizzeria.  Two rough guys approached the businessman and demanded that he pay $300k in a one off payment. Co-incidentally the owner bumped into a mobster he knew from school minutes later and he arranged to reduce the payment to merely $100k plus monthly payments.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2007-07-04-0707031467-story,amp.html

I always think that that sort of stuff is impossible in Scotland but that I just naivety. 

56 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

It’s not unheard of for Scottish football figures to associate with “glamorous” underworld figures. 

You mean someone with significant wealth and power might not always deal with nice people?

15 minutes ago, 101 said:

I always think that that sort of stuff is impossible in Scotland but that I just naivety. 

You mean someone with significant wealth and power might not always deal with nice people?

Not quite but I’ll use footballers as my example for now. 

Young, working class men with a particular talent but suddenly with more money than anyone they’ve ever known are easily seduced by charismatic geezers who can provide whatever club entries, ladies, bouncers and all the rest of it. And once they’re in, very difficult to get them out. 

6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

It’s not unheard of for Scottish football figures to associate with “glamorous” underworld figures. 

I never made it as a professional football player, I was close all that was missing was speed. And discipline. And talent.  But if I did I feel pretty sure I could have had a great old time hooring and drinking with shady characters.

So near yet so far.

2 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

I never made it as a professional football player, I was close all that was missing was speed. And discipline. And talent.  But if I did I feel pretty sure I could have had a great old time hooring and drinking with shady characters.

So near yet so far.

Meet me at Ferraris, 3pm.

Theres still time for you yet, x. 

5 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

So near yet so far.

That has never been a barrier to stop folk playing for Dunfermline.