Scotland squad euro 2020

16 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Reality disagrees with you. It happens all the time, far far far too much for far too long.

Take this squad right now. If we were Holland, or even Wales, Josh Doig is in the squad instead of Taylor.

Doig played 36 games for the the team that finished an easy third in the league, Taylor managed a grand total of 12 games for Celtic. 

Doig is the better player. Not in the future, right now. If you're picking a team to play for your life tomorrow afternoon and can have one or the other its Doig, cause he's the better player. Right now.

So why is he not in the squad when a clearly inferior player who plays the same position is?

Same with Gilmour. If not for injuries he's not in the squad. He won't be a first choice in the tournament and clearly inferior players like McGregor will feature heavily.

O'Donnell will be first choice for the tournament and probably get roasted. Patterson is clearly the better player. Right now, not in three years, not potentially. He's a better footballer today than O'Donnell is. So throw him in. Let O'Donnell be his back-up, if he gets an injury or tires after 75 minutes let O'Donnell fill in for him not the other way round.

This is what other countries do. Holland pick players after three games of senior football if they're good enough they're in. Their age and experience is irrelevant, only their quality. Look at the Wales squad, loaded with guys who've hardly kicked a ball of senior football.

When Danny Wilson was getting picked that's cause he was the best option available, he didn't cost us anything and him and us did not suffer from picking him young, His career stalled as he made a bad move. 

Both Doig and Hickey are better players than Taylor right now. Hickey if fit would have been overlooked, Doig has been, for a player who is clearly inferior and has played less football this season than both of them. So it does happen all the time and isn't overstated.  Its a problem with the mindset in Scottish football.

Doig's defending can be woeful sometimes. I've not seen Hickey this season. 

Taylor is very reliable.

8 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Taylor is very reliable.

Pish. Reliably meh you mean. 6/10 and all he ever will be.  Do you see top clubs from top leagues competing to sign Taylor?  Me neither.

The idea that Patterson is better than O'Donnell now is up for debate. To put it across as objective fact is nonsense. You can say for certain that he has more potential but only one of them has played at international level and did ok. The other has barely played for his club and has had a few shaky starts in Europe that would be absolutely punished in a major finals like these

8 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Taylor isn't very defence minded and is small and shite. He's like a converted winger. Doig is a unit and quality.

Certainly not for Celtic anyway when he could  get away with it more, he is a full back first and a wing back second.  Thats why Laxalt got a game ahead of him (which I disagreed with).

7 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Wales could cap dozens of teenagers because their squad was pot five garbage at the time.

Yeah also even when Wales had a decent team their first 11 or so could absolutely horse their second team so makes sense to just give youngsters a chance. The same couldn’t be said for Scotland at any time this side of the millennium.

Edited by gannonball

2 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

The idea that Patterson is better than O'Donnell now is up for debate. To put it across as objective fact is nonsense. You can say for certain that he has more potential but only one of them has played at international level and did ok. The other has barely played for his club and has had a few shaky starts in Europe that would be absolutely punished in a major finals like these

He was fuckin quality in Europe, that's why he's in the squad.  Performing at a level O'Donnell isn't capable of.

2 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

He was all over the place at times. He looked completely out of his depth in Prague to begin with, albeit he grew into the game.

Pish, he made about two mistakes in the first 20 minutes, by the end of the game he was the best player on the park.  35 year old defenders with a thousand games make mistakes too. What's impressive is he grew in the space of an hour the same amount some players take five years. That's how you know he's got it, he could play for Scotland against Wembley tonight and do fine. He's already better than O'Donnell.

Its just a fypical fan thing to do point out a couple of mistakes as if that means they know something about the game. Fuckin Messi makes mistakes, it happens to everyone. 

On 05/06/2021 at 10:09, DiegoDiego said:

Wales could cap dozens of teenagers because their squad was pot five garbage at the time.

That's a great story and irrelevant.  Wales have given out 50+ caps to players <21 years old since they last qualified for a major tournament.

I'd hazard a guess that they've given out more caps since Euro 2016 to teenagers than we have since 1998.  If it's in any way even reasonably close, it's because our numbers are inflated by Darren Fletcher.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

Just saw a tweet that talked about "multinational footballers" and listed each nation with "players who could declare for someone else". Apparently we have 6. I could think of only 4 (Adams, Dykes, Cooper and McTominay). I looked through the squad but couldn't name another two.

Anyone have any ideas? 

Just now, velo army said:

Just saw a tweet that talked about "multinational footballers" and listed each nation with "players who could declare for someone else". Apparently we have 6. I could think of only 4 (Adams, Dykes, Cooper and McTominay). I looked through the squad but couldn't name another two.

Anyone have any ideas? 

McLaughlin was brought up in England so can play for them according to the home nations agreement that let Andy Driver play for us

Kieran Tierney was born in the Isle of Man which, I believe, allows him to play for any of the home nations

McGinn and Grealish interview giving me the fear today. McGinn seems to have a problem with tackling his pals. I need players who will go through their pals to win a game. He seems to be known for it too. 

7 minutes ago, velo army said:

McGinn and Grealish interview giving me the fear today. McGinn seems to have a problem with tackling his pals. I need players who will go through their pals to win a game. He seems to be known for it too. 

Hopefully any notion of that kind will disappear once the game kicks off. I think the occasion will take over and he will treat him like any other player.

On 05/06/2021 at 15:34, Detournement said:

Taylor is very reliable.

Doig got absolutely bullied by both Rooney and Middleton in the Scottish cup final.  Hickey definitely better than him at the moment