Scotland squad euro 2020

6 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

highlighting is poor defensively ability in the championship never mind against the likes of international players

3 years before his move to Liverpool I watched Andy Robertson get roasted by David Wotherspoon.

Clearly means Robertson can't play higher than Scottish top flight level IMO.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

3 years before his move to Liverpool I watched Andy Robertson get roasted by David Wotherspoon.

I was just thinking that.  It's as if players can get better over time.

1 hour ago, HalfCutNinja said:

They can forget Kerr considering he plays in a different position to Patterson. If we took him instead of Patterson we'd be going to a major tournament with O'Donnell as our only recognised right back.

Rooney they can make a case for, but it seems even many St Johnstone fans think he's quite poor defensively which is what we will be doing for the majority of our games. Folk need to get over the whole Patterson selection based on his number of appearances (which is more than 7).

Add in the fact that Patterson has represented Scotland at every age group from U17 onwards then it's more of a natural progression.

Edited by AJF

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

19 year old Andy Robertson then stood him good stead obviously. 25/26 year old rooney has peaked with his goals in the cup. 

Anyway Patterson most likely future  Scotland RB so makes sense to have him involved 

46 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

So someone shite then.  Yes I saw the tackle, I was at the game.

Did you manage to sell anyone to an English club in the 1990’s for any significant sum?

St Mirren were struggling financially around then. As a result of gaining promotion that season we had to raise money to pay for a seated and roofed stand at the Love St end (for 10,000 covered seats) and undersoil heating. Your tinpot club had to ground share with Aberdeen IIRC as you did not fulfil the criteria when you were promoted.

I’d hardly say that Charlton were shite back then. They had just been relegated from the EPL and were then promoted in season 1999/2000 and stayed in the top flight for seven seasons.  

Best you get your facts straight.

FACT - Ross Tokely is a wife abusing cnut and prematurely ended Chris Kerr’s promising career and never offered a hint of an apology.

3 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

25/26 year old rooney has peaked with his goals in the cup. 

Apologies, I didn't realise you were a time traveller.

1 minute ago, Yflab said:

Did you manage to sell anyone to an English club in the 1990’s for any significant sum?

St Mirren were struggling financially around then. As a result of gaining promotion that season we had to raise money to pay for a seated and roofed stand at the Love St end (for 10,000 covered seats) and undersoil heating. Your tinpot club had to ground share with Aberdeen IIRC as you did not fulfil the criteria when you were promoted.

I’d hardly say that Charlton were shite back then. They had just been relegated from the EPL and were then promoted in season 1999/2000 and stayed in the top flight for seven seasons.  

FACT - Ross Tokely is a wife abusing cnut and prematurely ended Chris Kerr’s promising career and never offered a hint of an apology.

Kerr played football for about 4 years after that.  Ergo Tokely in fact didn't 'prematurely end his promising career'.  I think it's best you get your facts straight.

26 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I was just thinking that.  It's as if players can get better over time.

It's wild, folk clearly have some preconceived opinion of Rooney they aren't willing to change.

Yer man here has him down as 2 years older than he actually is FFS.

45 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Can you take this to the "Nobody gives a f**k" thread, please?

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Can you take this to the "Nobody gives a f**k" thread, please?

My team has never been to the depths of League 1 or League 2 you fcuking no mark. 

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

One of my mates is seething that Griffiths has been left out, given "what he has done for Scotland".

He seemed confused by my disappointment at the lack of Law and Dalglish for similar reasons

The sum total of what Leigh Grittiths has done for Scotland is two exquisite swings of his left boot in the last 5 mins of a game against England.

Fantastic though those were, before then and since then, naff all. 

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

One of my mates is seething that Griffiths has been left out, given "what he has done for Scotland".

He seemed confused by my disappointment at the lack of Law and Dalglish for similar reasons

I understand the calls for Griffiths from from some fans. We all remember his free kicks against England, but maybe Steve Clarke feels that he could be a disruptive figure around the squad. He has had his fair share of off field problems. This squad could be together for a month. That’s a long period to be cooped up. I’d want guys who are hungry and champing at the bit to take part in this tournament. 
We have some real hard workers and good characters in that squad. 
Strachan once commented on the manners of John McGinn where he got off the bus and rather than wander off with the squad he stayed to help the back room staff with all the training gear. Strachan said that McGinn would go far in the game and he has been proved right.

As Fitzy once said:

“Hard work beats Talent, when Talent does not work hard!”

And that’s why imho Griffiths has not been picked.

Just seeing some of the teams being released for the Euros and we have quite a young squad outwith the goalkeepers. One outfield player aged 30 or over. Turkey seemed to have a very young squad aswell.

Craig Gordon looks to be the 2nd oldest player in the tournament. 

*still some squads to be announced

Just seeing some of the teams being released for the Euros and we have quite a young squad outwith the goalkeepers. One outfield player aged 30 or over. Turkey seemed to have a very young squad aswell.
Craig Gordon looks to be the 2nd oldest player in the tournament. 
*still some squads to be announced
That's one of the really pleasing parts about this squad. It feels like a fresh, positive approach as opposed to wheeling out the old crocks. Particularly with Gilmour, Patterson and Turnbull on there.

Earlier in the season I suggested/feared we might need to fall back on Naismith to plug the gap in our striker pool. Kudos to Steve Clarke for ignoring my pish and getting Che Adams in and breaking Nisbet into the squad too.

For anyone who cares, pictures from the squad flying out has shown some of the squad numbers.

1. Marshall
2. O'Donnell
3. Robertson
6. Tierney
7. McGinn
8. McGregor
9. Dykes
10. Adams
14. Fleck
15. Gallagher
16. Cooper
17. Armstrong
19. Nisbet
20. Fraser
22. Patterson
25. Forrest
26. McKenna

McTominay will probably be 4, Hanley 5 and Christie 11. It won't reveal anything about the first 11 that we didn't already know; I was hoping number 4 would be Cooper or something so we could start guessing.