Scotland squad euro 2020

6 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I'm absolutely fine with Taylor being there; while Tierney is obviously much better than Taylor he's also much better than any of the alternatives at centre back. If Robertson was to miss out for any reason I'd rather have the drop in quality at left wing back of Robertson to Taylor than the drop in quality at centre back of Tierney having to move out to the left and being replaced there by anyone else.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Tierney is also excellent at bringing the ball out of defence in his LCB role. He is often driving into the opponents final third, hitting the byline occasionally. I don't think any other CB gives us that option.

My only thought is that Doig may have been a better option than Taylor but it's hard to say. Taylor played relatively well when he stepped in for the Robertson when he was suspended.

Edited by AJF

I quite like the look of the squad.  Seem to have picked a decent blend of experience and youth. Not surprised that some of the old guard not selected and suspect that is their career at the top level over now but good to see some familiar faces get a recall - like others have said it will be interesting to see how Robertson fits in.....:

Gougeon at Rural Affairs and Islands and  Shirley Anne Sommerville in at Education are interesting selections but going with experience in Yousef, Swinney, Matheson and Brown.  Returns to the squad for Robison and Robertson though and Forbes getting a bit more experience in the same position.

Oooh sorry wrong thread..........

11 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

emoji38.png

The guys that made it were knocking their pan in at the last minute to put it together (for obvious reasons since Steve Clarke is hardly going to leak the squad to a bunch of jobbers weeks in advance), so it's more likely they've just had a template ready to go and forgot to change one of the names. The video has McGregor and Gilmour being said together.

Edited by craigkillie

I'd have liked to have seen Ryan Gauld get included. To be playing to an excellent standard abroad, in a struggling team, pickup player of the month and yet not even get in front of a jobber like Fleck (Championship player at best) disappoints me. 

Edited by BukyOHare

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think our centre back options are fine. Hanley gets a bad rap and Cooper/Tierney/Gallagher have all been solid there for us. 

As for the midfield, if you're Steve Clarke watching your usual trusted guys like Christie and McGregor absolutely stink the place out for much of the season, it probably makes you think twice about using both of them in midfield, especially when Turnbull has been head and shoulders above the two of them. With Gilmour coming in there as well and Jack being out, I can understand why we might be looking at a different balance in there. 

My first thought was it would be working out how to offer more protection to the centre backs when we're defending and taking the ball from them to start moves when we have possession, which is the role Jack was filling by himself before. Possibly two deeper midfielders.

The guys that made it were knocking their pan in at the last minute to put it together (for obvious reasons since Steve Clarke is hardly going to leak the squad to a bunch of jobbers weeks in advance), so it's more likely they've just had a template ready to go and forgot to change one of the names. The video has McGregor and Gilmour being said together.

I wasn't having a go at the people who made the video at all - it's brilliant. Just thought it was a funny mistake and an insight into whether he was a last-minute call but your explanation is fair enough.

15 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I'm absolutely fine with Taylor being there; while Tierney is obviously much better than Taylor he's also much better than any of the alternatives at centre back. If Robertson was to miss out for any reason I'd rather have the drop in quality at left wing back of Robertson to Taylor than the drop in quality at centre back of Tierney having to move out to the left and being replaced there by anyone else.

Thinking about the most likely starting XI (what I think Clarke will pick rather than what I'd pick) this gives us cover as follows:

Gordon

(Marshall, McLaughlin)

Hendry - Hanley - Tierney

(Cooper, Gallagher, McKenna, McTominay)

O'Donnell ‐-----‐-------------------- Robertson

(Forrest, Patterson) ----------- (Taylor, Tierney)

McTominay - McGregor

(Gilmour, Fleck)

McGinn

(Christie, Armstrong, Turnbull)

Fraser - Adams

(Christie, Armstrong, Turnbull, Forrest) (Dykes, Nisbet)

I think that's a well balanced squad. You could maybe make an argument for removing a centre back in favour of Shankland or Griffiths, but there's no way you could justify removing one to bring Gauld in when we have so many options in his position already.

Clever intelligent players like Gauld can play anywhere in midfield. Holding role or final third. 

He could quite easily get the ball from the defence, maintain possession and link well his other midfielders and striker/s. 

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I'd have liked to have seen Ryan Gauld get included. To be playing to an excellent standard abroad, in a struggling team, pickup player of the month and yet not even get in front of a jobber like Fleck (Championship player at best) disappoints me. 

If Fleck is a Championship player at best why has he spent the last two seasons as a first pick for a Premier League club? He's also basically the only reasonable like-for-like replacement for McGregor - Gauld certainly couldn't play that role.

Pretty happy with the team. I would have liked Gauld to be in and less sure about Patterson being included but I don't think there are any really surprising calls and its certainly possible to see how and why he has chosen the players that he has. Really looking forward to this now.

happy with the squad selection good to see the youth prospects getting in rather than the some of the deadwood being in the previous squads. only thing would be getting another forward thinking player for taylor or a CB but all in all happy with it. Looking forward to this now!! 

29 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If Fleck is a Championship player at best why has he spent the last two seasons as a first pick for one of the worst Premier League clubs in history? He's also basically the only reasonable like-for-like replacement for McGregor - Gauld certainly couldn't play that role.

FTFY. 

Holding midfielders aren't just there as destroyers. It's just as important that they're excellent in possession and can take the ball off the back 4. Playing in Portugal to an excellent standard shows he's more than worthy of inclusion. 

Let's also see the queue of clubs ready to keep Fleck in the Premier League. 

He's a player I don't mind actually, I just think Gauld's got more of a future internationally, or certainly should have. 

Edited by BukyOHare

They weren't one of the worst Premier League sides in history last season when they finished 9th. In this Scotland system the two holding midfielders absolutely are required to graft and destroy as well as being good in possession.

22 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They weren't one of the worst Premier League sides in history last season when they finished 9th. In this Scotland system the two holding midfielders absolutely are required to graft and destroy as well as being good in possession.

They had one massively over achieving season before the league worked them out. Somehow that gets him in the National squad? I have to repeat that my gripe isn't against Fleck in particular. If Clarke is looking to the future with the likes of Patterson and Turnbull then why not Gauld as well?

You can't have too many technically excellent players in a squad, Gauld is definitely that. 

Selecting a goalie in the squad under the age of 45, with the future in mind, wouldn't have gone amiss either. 

Edited by BukyOHare