COWDENBEATH 2021-22

Would need to check but Dumbarton must have been miles further back than this a few years ago in the championship when Murray came in. From memory they only had 3 points.

Nothing is impossible. Unlikely but not impossible.

3 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

We’ve been unlucky in so many games even a slight improvement could make all the difference and we’ve got to play Stenny twice.

The lack of not signing enough forwards and attacking midfielders is a big part in that.

A totally unbalanced squad which I hope the manager can get more balanced.

At the start of the season someone with an interest in us but not a regular said our side would struggle and he was right.

Edited by cowdenbeath

17 hours ago, wulliemc said:

Would need to check but Dumbarton must have been miles further back than this a few years ago in the championship when Murray came in. From memory they only had 3 points.

Nothing is impossible. Unlikely but not impossible.

We had five points on Christmas Day 2012. One win (against you lot) and two draws (Raith and Hamilton). That was after 13 games though because we had a fair few postponed.

I'm not actually sure how far behind we were. But I'm pretty sure it would've been more than 10 points.

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

We had five points on Christmas Day 2012. One win (against you lot) and two draws (Raith and Hamilton). That was after 13 games though because we had a fair few postponed.

I'm not actually sure how far behind we were. But I'm pretty sure it would've been more than 10 points.

From what I can see it was 7

5 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

In that case, I'm afraid you guys have some size of mountain to climb.

It is a mountain to climb no doubt.

Can be done it we can start winning a few games, all the sides above us will be taking points off each other as there's nothing between them.

As mentioned Albion Rovers were 8 behind Berwick so it can be done.

From what I can see it was 7

I did some research, nothing else to do.

It was 5 pts in nov, then Murray came in but Dumbarton didn’t play very much for a few weeks and it was still 5 at Xmas. IIRC their pitch waterlogged regularly.

Then they won 5 of next 6 to get going.

At 18 games in as we are now they had 17 points. They finished with 43, winning 8 and drawing 2 of second half of the season.

The same second half performance would put us on 36 points, debatable if that is enough without someone collapsing.

Stringing together a few wins to get us going would give everyone a bit of encouragement.

One other thing looking this up reminded me of. We went to Hamilton on the last day of the season needing the Pars to lose and us to win to avoid the relegation playoff.

Petulant kick out near the corner flag in front of the lino a la Beckham style saw Hamilton player see red and the rest was history.

20 minutes ago, wulliemc said:

I did some research, nothing else to do.

It was 5 pts in nov, then Murray came in but Dumbarton didn’t play very much for a few weeks and it was still 5 at Xmas. IIRC their pitch waterlogged regularly.

Then they won 5 of next 6 to get going.

At 18 games in as we are now they had 17 points. They finished with 43, winning 8 and drawing 2 of second half of the season.

The same second half performance would put us on 36 points, debatable if that is enough without someone collapsing.

Stringing together a few wins to get us going would give everyone a bit of encouragement.

One other thing looking this up reminded me of. We went to Hamilton on the last day of the season needing the Pars to lose and us to win to avoid the relegation playoff.

Petulant kick out near the corner flag in front of the lino a la Beckham style saw Hamilton player see red and the rest was history.

I looked at the pre Christmas issue of our programme and it was 7 behind.

Eitherway we need a Dumbo style start to 2022.

All the clubs above us seem to take points off each other so if we had a run could make in roads.

Still a tough task though very much depends on who comes in.

The Lino at the Accies game was Lorraine Clark ,  now Watson, a Fifer.

Boy who was sent off was Andy Ryan.

Great day that only about 50 or 60 Cowden fans there to witness it.

Edited by cowdenbeath

So realistically it’s a bigger escape than previously from this situation. 
As others have said, the middle 8 teams in the league take points off each other regularly, so Albion and Elgin are probably going to keep adding to their points total. 

7 minutes ago, big al said:

So realistically it’s a bigger escape than previously from this situation. 
As others have said, the middle 8 teams in the league take points off each other regularly, so Albion and Elgin are probably going to keep adding to their points total. 

Aye you really need someone to have a shit run and us to pick up.

2 hours ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

Albion Rovers were 8 points behind Berwick Rangers at one point in the season Berwick went down.

Unfortunately no one has Johnny Harvey at the helm this season.

Rovers were 7 or 8 points behind Berwick in 2018-19. We needed a helluva a bit of luck to stay up with a 3-0 win being awarded to us against Clyde after they fielded an ineligible player being the start of it. When we did turn the corner it did help Berwick being totally inept. I’m not saying Cowden’s current position is impossible but it is difficult…no doubt.

Massive turnaround required. Dont look to far ahead is my motto. Play each game and if we gain points on any teams each game gr8. Our last 2 games are elgin and albion. I would happily take being 3 points behind with 2 games to go.

Biggest issue for us recently is literally everything and I mean everything has gone against us. Draw 0-0 at home with a perfect legitimate goal in injury time. No person can say otherwise. Following week albion score a last min goal to wi  3 pts. Elgin score a last min goal to grab a point when losing 2 nil at one point. Elgin last game score in 93rd min to win 3 points.

These are things that are huge and we need to make that shift happen somehow.

New signings are incoming. We should never have lost the edinburgh game at home so that was another wee punch in the stanes.

Get behind the lads every game. If we finish bottom then hopefully that will b finishing bottom with putting up a huge fight and comeback eg too little too late rather than being miles behind and having to go in low on confidence. 

If we did end up in play off nothing to fear from bonnyrigg rose or fraservurgh or whomever we WILL be a better team by that point 100%.