Queen’s Park 21/22

4 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I'd just like to put it on record that the Daily Record isn't the approved outlet for Queen's Park's transfer deals. Although anything's possible at our club these days. More likely they're framing a "Hoops" story. Can't see it myself. So it'll probably happen. Or not.

But as our strike force collectively can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, he's well worth the risk. The kids we just brought in need to learn from someone.

The Daily Record is of course an absolute joke of a tabloid, but it's possibly worth mentioning that this article was written by the same journalist who announced that John Potter would be working with us about a week before the club mentioned it anywhere.

3 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

The Daily Record is of course an absolute joke of a tabloid, but it's possibly worth mentioning that this article was written by the same journalist who announced that John Potter would be working with us about a week before the club mentioned it anywhere.

I suspect we're a lucky punt for a lot of lazy journos these days. It's a sharp observation though...let's see. I'm just doubtful as Griffiths was set to go but couldn't agree terms. Sounds more like an agent pulling strings than the overwhelming pull toward The Southside.. Tick tock.

He’s now been at the “if he just screws the nut” stage of his career for several years. He’s not going to. I honestly don’t think he can. There’s as much of a risk of him being a disruptive influence as there is of him being a success. 

Would also be another sign of us having absolutely no idea of what we’re trying to be. We’re caught between ageing jobbers and young loanees. Flinging a speculative grenade into the middle of a barrel of jobby would just be another signal of us having absolutely no plan.

34 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

And therein lies the rationale behind a 4-3-3 formation - its flexibility to adapt to a particular passage of play. Am sure if you took a still of, say a corner, the players would not be lined up in an easily identifiable 4-3-3 formation.  

The players do rotate in the system but it's not 4-3-3 mate. Not that I've been watching of late. Maybe I've missed this. I think BBC prints us as that if that's what you're referring to but it's not right.  

Take Saturday for example, Luca and Gillespie sitting with Brown in front of them. They rotate as the game develops but the formation sets up off the ball the same. Smith and Longridge are in line with Brown. They're not in a forward 3 pushed high enough to be in line with Bob McHugh on each wing. 

A goal kick sets out both teams formations off the ball using the full pitch. A corner is a packed box attacking or defending a corner, they set up specifically for the corner. 

41 minutes ago, lavvyheid said:

Murdoch's rag  saying Paul Dalgleish in talks about head coach's job  and Graeme Murty also  interested .

Another couple of names to be added to the list .

Don’t hate the Murty idea. We’re obviously going down a route of younger players and he’s been heavily involved with a big academy. His first team experience at Rangers was at a time of upheaval and transition with a pretty rubbish squad. Aside from doing a headstand on the touchline, I thought he always came across pretty well as well.

Edited by an86

51 minutes ago, lavvyheid said:

Murdoch's rag  saying Paul Dalgleish in talks about head coach's job  and Graeme Murty also  interested .

Another couple of names to be added to the list .

I think Murty would be a positive. His experience of bringing on youngsters would fit our bill exactly and I thought he did a pretty decent job of handling the first team in difficult circumstances.

What’s murty been up to since rangers? I’d say it’s a risk in all honesty taking him on. He’s had success with younger teams but I’m unsure whether he’s actually got enough first team managerial experience. An upgrade nonetheless but i see slight similarities with Laurie Ellis in maybe being a good coach but an unconvincing manager

Dalglish seems to have won leagues in his time in management, albeit a completely different league and culture but I’d feel much more reassured with someone with a track record of winning games and leagues for me. We’re obviously placing emphasis on youth but we still need the man in charge to have that winning mentality

Edited by qpfc

Anyone we bring in is going to be something of a risk, unless we’re paying daft money for someone with pedigree. I’m not sure how strong the level Dalglish has won at is. Tommy Sloan could look like Capello on his Wiki with his Talbot record, for example.

Record is definitely a factor, but I’d want the new manager to have experience of coaching a decent standard of professional as well.

30 minutes ago, qpfc said:

What’s murty been up to since rangers? I’d say it’s a risk in all honesty taking him on. He’s had success with younger teams but I’m unsure whether he’s actually got enough first team managerial experience. An upgrade nonetheless but i see slight similarities with Laurie Ellis in maybe being a good coach but an unconvincing manager

Dalglish seems to have won leagues in his time in management, albeit a completely different league and culture but I’d feel much more reassured with someone with a track record of winning games and leagues for me. We’re obviously placing emphasis on youth but we still need the man in charge to have that winning mentality

Murray only left Rangers in November when the other Dutch caravan rolled into town. He went back to the development/academy role when Gerrard moved in. Never looked comfortable on the touchline but not many would after getting catapulted into that role. Still highly regarded at Ibrox. 

Having experience of both first team and the development side is very rare and hard to find. Two completely different mindsets. I think the Beuker man has discovered that too.

16 hours ago, an86 said:

Would also be another sign of us having absolutely no idea of what we’re trying to be. We’re caught between ageing jobbers and young loanees. Flinging a speculative grenade into the middle of a barrel of jobby would just be another signal of us having absolutely no plan.

Possibly, the track record so far supports that. Perhaps with the fresh eyes of Beuker though someone’s had the balls to say that the ten year plan can’t be achieved in one year. Maybe they’ve considered that having a winning first team for the rest of this season will excite and attract better players for next year and with our new half-stadium built bring a much better crowd into Lesser to see a better team which will have a better chance of winning the league next season. And the parents of all those school kids who our commercial manager has been working hard to get in will find it easier to make a return visit, come to games and sign up for community teams.

Just because the dream is to have a conveyor belt of starlets and a thriving community programme doesn’t mean we can’t have a short term plan for the first team that’s different from the dream. It’s an evolution, not a rayvolution. I’d rather when mistakes are made people are big enough to pause and reassess than just steam on and get us into financial trouble.

16 hours ago, NathanQP said:

and is just pure paper talk. 

I’ve been informed from a reliable source it isn’t just paper talk. Some of the figures quoted are absolutely eye watering for this level as well. It does however sound like Falkirk are chucking even more at it than yourselves which surprised me.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’ve been informed from a reliable source it isn’t just paper talk. Some of the figures quoted are absolutely eye watering for this level as well. It does however sound like Falkirk are chucking even more at it than yourselves which surprised me.

He’s a free agent at the moment so no club transfer fee involved, no follow-ons etc. His market value is £540k. Even half of that would be a good saving for the club and a good retirement plan for the player.

No reliable source involved in this statement.