Scots on the move

On 14/07/2024 at 11:51, JS_FFC said:

McKenna is only 17 but already went to Bournemouth for £300k. If I was Clarke I’d be asking for the Scotland youth coaches to promote him up to the 21s for a look.

Slicker is 21 and is still yet to have a first team appearance in club football so it’s not looking good for him.

Angus Gunn is 28 so he has more than enough years left in the tank to get us through until McKenna is ready but there are two issues. The first is that Gunn himself isn’t the same level that we’ve been used to over the past two decades. Nothing we can do about that. The second (and much bigger) problem is that he’s quite injury prone and the options behind him leave a lot to be desired. 

Yeah, neither are clear and obvious candidates to take over imminently. Kind of looking for one of them to step up into Gunn's shoes by the time he's nearing the end of his career at least.

Slicker has a lot to prove before he's a serious candidate for that but I think you're writing him off too early.

If you look at the highest valued keepers in the world right now, it's not unusual for them to have very minimal amounts of first team football before they're 21. Some do, some don't. But this is probably the season where he should go on loan and start to prove himself if it's going to happen.

Slicker does have a few first team appearances for Ipswich and Rochdale in the league cup and fitba league trophy. He's yet to make a league appearance for anyone though. 

Manchester United reject a bid from Fulham, thought to be £25m, for Scott McTominay.

Aaron Hickey linked with Manchester United.

Tommy Conway has apparently had a disagreement with the Bristol City manager. He's now training with the u21s.

A move might be imminent.

Edited by Chripper

On 17/07/2024 at 09:51, Alan Twelve said:

Slicker does have a few first team appearances for Ipswich and Rochdale in the league cup and fitba league trophy. He's yet to make a league appearance for anyone though. 

Ipswich just signed Muric from Burnley. Really unfortunate as between him and Walton they’ll probably share all the competitive minutes with none for Slicker.

On 17/07/2024 at 21:03, Chripper said:

Tommy Conway has apparently had a disagreement with the Bristol City manager. He's now training with the u21s.

Not a disagreement so much as he has refused to sign a new contract. He's out of contract next summer so I expect you are right, he will be sold now.

On 17/07/2024 at 21:03, Chripper said:

Manchester United reject a bid from Fulham, thought to be £25m, for Scott McTominay.

Aaron Hickey linked with Manchester United.

I'd just be happy to hear of Hickey being linked with a reappearance on a football field.  For anyone.  Not sure how true this, hopefully not at all, but I read somewhere he still isn't training with his teammates.  Really odd one this.

1 hour ago, albagubrath said:

Not a disagreement so much as he has refused to sign a new contract. He's out of contract next summer so I expect you are right, he will be sold now.

Yeah. You're right, it's because of a refusal to sign a contract extension.

22 minutes ago, James-Andrew said:

I'd just be happy to hear of Hickey being linked with a reappearance on a football field.  For anyone.  Not sure how true this, hopefully not at all, but I read somewhere he still isn't training with his teammates.  Really odd one this.

Yeah. Me, too. Just want to see him playing.

The Manchester City link has been a long one. I seem to recall they were watching him along with Bayern Munich because he eventually chose Bologna.

I think he's one of those players who is just destined to be playing for a big team.

According to reports, Tottenham are now after Scott McTominay. Joining Galatasaray and Fulham by showing interest.

Manchester United are looking for at least £40m.

Hibs have been linked with a loan for Fulham's Kieron Bowie.

20 hours ago, Chripper said:

According to reports, Tottenham are now after Scott McTominay. Joining Galatasaray and Fulham by showing interest.

Manchester United are looking for at least £40m.

Hibs have been linked with a loan for Fulham's Kieron Bowie.

Love McTominay but no way does he fit into that Spurs midfield the way they play.

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Seems like Conte wants Gilmour at Napoli with reports of an £8m bid already rejected and Brighton holding out for around £12m.

£12m seems laughably low for a 23YO midtable’ish EPL player with 50+ appearances, 30 international caps and 2 years left on his contract. I would have expected £30m+ if Brighton wanted shot of them, which as far as I can tell they don’t.

3 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Seems like Conte wants Gilmour at Napoli with reports of an £8m bid already rejected and Brighton holding out for around £12m.

Obviously a cheeky low-ball bid to see what they can get away with. Really hope Napoli come back with an improved offer and Brighton are open to it. I think playing in Italy would be great for Gilmour.

3 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I would love to see Gilmour at Napoli (or the equivalent) under a top manager.

Fabian Hurzeler might eventually turn out to be q good manager, but presently, there's a question mark on his name.

Plus Brighton, as much as I admire their club structure, are not a big club.

Plus we've seen how Lewis Ferguson has improved playing in Serie A. Yes, definitely not the standard it was, but tactically it's still up there.

Personally, it's been a great summer! Gilmour signing for Napoli would be the cherry atop the cherry sauce on the Black Forrest Gateau

Edited by Chripper

Andy Irving with an assist and a goal in his first couple of pre-season games for West Ham. Certainly seems he’ll be given a chance to be in the squad for the upcoming season.

4 hours ago, albagubrath said:

£12m seems laughably low for a 23YO midtable’ish EPL player with 50+ appearances, 30 international caps and 2 years left on his contract. I would have expected £30m+ if Brighton wanted shot of them, which as far as I can tell they don’t.

Yeah it seems a crazy low price, especially considering the sums that some players go for. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the new manager doesn’t need him or Gilmour wants to move.

Apparently Brighton do tend to not overly stand in the way of players moving on to bigger clubs, so maybe they will be happy with a reasonable profit rather than a maximum one. 

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

I would love to see Gilmour at Napoli (or the equivalent) under a top manager.

Fabian Hurzeler might eventually turn out to be q good manager, but presently, there's a question mark on his name.

Plus Brighton, as much as I admire their club structure, are not a big club.

Plus we've seen how Lewis Ferguson has improved playing in Serie A. Yes, definitely not the standard it was, but tactically it's still up there.

Personally, it's been a great summer! Gilmour signing for Napoli would be the cherry atop the cherry sauce on the Black Forrest Gateau

More posts like this please, you actually sound pretty sane on this one