Scots on the move

Inter Miami trading Lewis Morgan to New York Red Bulls for $1.2 million in allocation money

Inter Miami winger Lewis Morgan, the team’s most valuable player in 2020, is headed to the New York Red Bulls for $1.2 million in allocation money, two sources close to the negotiations confirmed Thursday morning.

The news was first reported by The Athletic.

Miami needed to recoup revenue after being fined $2,271,250 in allocation funds in 2022 and 2023 as punishment for roster rules violations in the Blaise Matuidi contract. Morgan was one of the team’s most sought-after players, along with Nico Figal, Leandro Gonzalez-Pirez and Rodolfo Pizarro – all in their prime and key players for Miami in the first two seasons.

The Morgan-to-New York deal will be made official this weekend, as the MLS transfer window opens Sunday morning. A source close to Morgan said he enjoyed his time in Miami and had hoped to stay with the club, but had been told by management that the financial situation may require him or other top players to be shopped.

Morgan, a 25-year-old Scotsman, is known for his tireless work rate, sprints up the sideline and crossing ability. He previously played for Celtic, St. Mirren and Sunderland. He also has played for the Scottish national team.

He recorded seven goals and 12 assists in 57 games and was the only player to start all Miami’s matches during the two seasons. A natural winger, this season he was asked to move to wingback to solidify the defense, a sacrifice he made for the good of the team.

“Any change is tough, comes with a transition period, but the team’s been successful with me playing there, so I still try to bring as much energy as I can,” Morgan said midway through the season. “One thing I’ve got is a good engine, so I think maybe that’s one of the reasons the managers put me there. I do still feel I can get in attacking areas while of course there’s more of a defensive responsibility but by and large it’s been a successful transition so far.”

Morgan made $550,000 in 2021, was a fan favorite and the consummate professional.

He arrived in South Florida as a relatively unknown prospect in early 2020. He went on to lead the team in goals and assists in his first season, which led to interest from European clubs.

He signed a new contract before the 2021 season. At the time, coach Phil Neville said: “This was a reward for Lewis for his outstanding performance last season. That was the first thing (sporting director) Chris (Henderson) and I agreed on is that this boy had a great season, and we need to keep showing him that this club values him really highly.

“In terms of the signings we made, he’s equally as good, if not better because he’s a player who’s hungry. I like hungry players. He wants to get better. With Scottish players there’s always that burning desire to be the absolute best. He shows all the attributes of all the great Scottish people I have worked with and from the performances I have seen in training so far, he’s a real leader in the group.”

More changes are expected in the coming weeks as the roster undergoes a shakeup for 2022. Despite having the league’s most expensive payroll, Inter Miami has not lived up to expectations and failed to make the playoffs in 2021. The team finished in 11th place, four spots shy of the playoff line.

At least one of the team’s three high-priced Designated Players -- Pizarro, Gonzalo Higuain, Blaise Matuidi – will likely be traded. Pizarro, the Mexican playmaker, could wind up back in Liga MX, where he has been linked with Monterrey and Chivas.

In other news, Brazilian midfielder Jean Mota of Santos has signed with Inter Miami, according to Brazilian media, and the transfer fee was around $500,000. Miami is also in pursuit of Palmeiras midfielder Raphael Veiga, who scored a goal in the 2-1 Copa Libertadores final win over Flamengo. Veiga has 41 goals and 11 assists in 139 games and would carry a heftier price tag than Mota.

Edited by GNU_Linux

• 4 months later...
On 08/05/2022 at 12:49, accies1874 said:

If Ramsay gets the chance to go to Liverpool, he's obviously gonna take it, but, he'll have to get used to life on the bench.

TAA has got that RB position locked down for the next decade.

If Ramsay gets the chance to go to Liverpool, he's obviously gonna take it, but, he'll have to get used to life on the bench.
TAA has got that RB position locked down for the next decade.

I’d imagine he’ll spend a good bit of time in their under 23 team with the odd appearance in the carabao cup whilst they teach him how to defend.

I think they see him as a potential understudy to TAA (a couple of years down the line) which could still mean a decent number of games per season given Liverpool’s record in cups and Europe and his injury issues.

On 19/05/2022 at 18:39, lubo_blaha said:

I’d imagine he’ll spend a good bit of time in their under 23 team with the odd appearance in the carabao cup whilst they teach him how to defend.

I think they see him as a potential understudy to TAA (a couple of years down the line) which could still mean a decent number of games per season given Liverpool’s record in cups and Europe and his injury issues.

Look at Tsimikas who has had a good season for Liverpool as the understudy to Robertson. 

On 21/05/2022 at 10:56, Donathan said:

Look at Tsimikas who has had a good season for Liverpool as the understudy to Robertson. 

Indeed. Trophies to be won, glory to be had but also an attachment to the bench has to be recognised.

Tsimikas saw more opportunity this season when Robertson was injured/suspended. TAA started 32 out of 38 league games.

Just now, ArabFC said:

Indeed. Trophies to be won, glory to be had but also an attachment to the bench has to be recognised.

Tsimikas saw more opportunity this season when Robertson was injured/suspended. TAA started 32 out of 38 league games.

Liverpool played the maximum number of games possible this year (unless you count things like the community shield, super cup and club World Cup). That’s 38 league games, 13 in the champions league, 6 in the FA cup and 6 in the league cup for a total of 62 matches across 4 competitions.

If Ramsay goes to Liverpool and establishes himself as a good quality understudy to TAA, there’s no reason why he can’t be starting 15-20 matches per season across all competition plus another 8-10 appearances from the bench (especially given that the move towards 5 subs looks like it’s being made permanent) 

On 05/12/2021 at 21:26, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

To replace Paul Pogba 4A0C309C-6B26-4029-BF71-BB446AEBBF05.png.93bd6401839417f33d8430f372b40067.png

Thought Man United were desperate to sign Rice? Take it Chelsea are more likely now and he’ll probably want to reunite with his best pal Mount.

McGinn was statistically one of the best players in the league last year (you can check out the methodology on whoscored.com). Statistically, he's better than England's latest golden boy Rice. He's a fabulous player who has raised him game every time he has stepped up a level, there's no doubt he could easily perform for a top club but it's unlikely for two reasons.

First of all, he's just a bit too old. 5 years younger and it would be a certainty.

Secondly, Aston Villa are very ambitious and just signed Kamara and Coutinho. McGinn is their star player and plays pretty much every minute he's available for (Gerrard and Smith both rate him very highly for obvious reasons). Aston Villa don't need to sell and won't for anything but a huge offer.

He's a far more complete player than, say, James Ward Prowse, but because the latter scores free kicks he gets a POTY nomination. C'est la vie, I know who I would rather have for Scotland.

Screenshot_20220525-081336.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-081332.jpg

On 25/05/2022 at 01:17, Satoshi said:

McGinn was statistically one of the best players in the league last year (you can check out the methodology on whoscored.com). Statistically, he's better than England's latest golden boy Rice. He's a fabulous player who has raised him game every time he has stepped up a level, there's no doubt he could easily perform for a top club but it's unlikely for two reasons.

First of all, he's just a bit too old. 5 years younger and it would be a certainty.

Secondly, Aston Villa are very ambitious and just signed Kamara and Coutinho. McGinn is their star player and plays pretty much every minute he's available for (Gerrard and Smith both rate him very highly for obvious reasons). Aston Villa don't need to sell and won't for anything but a huge offer.

He's a far more complete player than, say, James Ward Prowse, but because the latter scores free kicks he gets a POTY nomination. C'est la vie, I know who I would rather have for Scotland.

Screenshot_20220525-081336.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-081332.jpg

1. Not really interested in your stats tbh. Especially ones that have John McGinn ranked above the likes of Thiago & Ronaldo.

2. What’s the relevance of your post to the one you’ve quoted?

You were laughing at the idea he would be replacing Paul Pogba, a player he has outperformed for the last few years whilst playing in the same league.

Also, I assume you're referring to the second stat there but Ronaldo has never been a great passer, even at his peak he probably wouldn't have made that list. Kinda implies you don't really watch much football tbh.

And if you think Ronaldos assist record disproves the above I'll save you time - it doesn't.

3 hours ago, Satoshi said:

You were laughing at the idea he would be replacing Paul Pogba, a player he has outperformed for the last few years whilst playing in the same league.

Also, I assume you're referring to the second stat there but Ronaldo has never been a great passer, even at his peak he probably wouldn't have made that list. Kinda implies you don't really watch much football tbh.

And if you think Ronaldos assist record disproves the above I'll save you time - it doesn't.

You assume incorrectly. It’s the ‘whoscored.com’ ranking of players I was referring to, actually. Interestingly the much maligned Jack Grealish is ranked above John McGinn for the season, based on their methodology, which is amusing as well. Essentially most of your post was a complete waste of time given your silly assumption.

Your first post was a lot of words to simply agree with my posts (from an entire year ago btw) that it’s unlikely he’ll be signing for a ‘top’ club, i.e. Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, City etc. He might be a decent squad player at these clubs but he simply wouldn’t elevate them to the next level and for £50m+, the value isn’t really there. Ffs even many Villa fans don’t necessarily think he should be playing every week if they want to get to the next level, which is odd given he’s such a ‘star man’ - Matty Cash won their player of the year btw.

If he signs for Spurs then great, I hope he kicks on and does well. I really rate him as a player, as I’ve said many times on this thread.

On 28/05/2022 at 16:59, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

You assume incorrectly. It’s the ‘whoscored.com’ ranking of players I was referring to, actually. Interestingly the much maligned Jack Grealish is ranked above John McGinn for the season, based on their methodology, which is amusing as well. Essentially most of your post was a complete waste of time given your silly assumption.

Your first post was a lot of words to simply agree with my posts (from an entire year ago btw) that it’s unlikely he’ll be signing for a ‘top’ club, i.e. Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, City etc. He might be a decent squad player at these clubs but he simply wouldn’t elevate them to the next level and for £50m+, the value isn’t really there. Ffs even many Villa fans don’t necessarily think he should be playing every week if they want to get to the next level, which is odd given he’s such a ‘star man’ - Matty Cash won their player of the year btw.

If he signs for Spurs then great, I hope he kicks on and does well. I really rate him as a player, as I’ve said many times on this thread.

Erm, you're wondering why Jack Grealish, Thiago or Ronaldo wasn't in the "not top 4 xI" (where they make clear Arsenal and Man Utd are inelligble)? I gave you too much credit with my assumption I think.

And fair enough I hadn't noticed the post was from a year ago, must have been another thread McGinns performances this year were being criticised. If you go on any club forum you quickly see fans are absolute idiots, there's a reason McGinn starts pretty much every game, and players pretty much every minute.

I don't think he'll leave Aston Villa, as my post makes clear, but it's not cause he isn't good enough.

His contract expires in 3 years, sure he could have a Gary McAllister post 30 career if that's his desire. 

3 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Erm, you're wondering why Jack Grealish, Thiago or Ronaldo wasn't in the "not top 4 xI" (where they make clear Arsenal and Man Utd are inelligble)? I gave you too much credit with my assumption I think.

And fair enough I hadn't noticed the post was from a year ago, must have been another thread McGinns performances this year were being criticised. If you go on any club forum you quickly see fans are absolute idiots, there's a reason McGinn starts pretty much every game, and players pretty much every minute.

I don't think he'll leave Aston Villa, as my post makes clear, but it's not cause he isn't good enough.

His contract expires in 3 years, sure he could have a Gary McAllister post 30 career if that's his desire. 

I wasn’t ‘wondering why’. It was clearly a comment re the methodology used to arrive at the ‘best players in the league’. Jesus, this has been a painful interaction.