Scots on the move

• 1 month later...

We were having a chat in the office just now about what current Scotland squad players could kick on and get a 'bigger move' and what players might take a step back in their club careers. 

Players mentioned about getting a bigger move - Tierney- Always seems to stand out in that arsenal team. Wouldn't look out of place in the champions league. Mcginn- There's always been talk about a move from Villa. was wondering if some of the bigger clubs would take a punt. Paterson- Again, talk of premier league teams keeping an eye. Might need to get a run of games at Rangers first? Dykes-Always looks a handful to play against. Could be a fit for a lower premier league team in the near future? 

On the other hand I get the feeling that 1 midfield signing from Manchester United and Mctominay could end up kicking his heals on the bench. Would hate to see that as hes a massive player for us. I wonder if he'll end up at a west ham/spurs/leceister type?

Gilmour is another one that will be interesting to see what happens. Could he go back to Chelsea and go straight in or Might he have to move on to keep getting regular football? A lot might hinge on the rest of this season with Norwich

7 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

On the other hand I get the feeling that 1 midfield signing from Manchester United and Mctominay could end up kicking his heals on the bench. Would hate to see that as hes a massive player for us. I wonder if he'll end up at a west ham/spurs/leceister type?

Is he a massive player for us? He's a midfielder that doesn't make it into our best midfield, and I think him and Hendry are much of a muchness at centre back. 

56 minutes ago, Coooombe said:

Is he a massive player for us? He's a midfielder that doesn't make it into our best midfield, and I think him and Hendry are much of a muchness at centre back. 

I think this year he has been a massive player for us. Scott McTominay has started in every game that he is available for. In 2021 he has played eight competitive games for Scotland with 4 starts in midfield (Austria, Israel, Czech Republic and Faroe Islands) and 4 starts in defence. (Faroe Islands, England, Croatia, Israel).

After Ryan Jack's injury I'd guess the thinking was to have Armstrong, McGinn and McTominay in midfield, but circumstances have worked to put his place in the team under threat. Maybe if Jack Hendry hadn't taken his time getting into the RCB position we wouldn't have seen McGregor play as much and now that Hendry is forcing himself into the defence there is no space for McTominay in midfield. Unfortunate. :lol: 

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, Coooombe said:

I'm a big fan of him as a player. And think he's been a brilliant asset for us. I agree, Mcgregor has been very good for us recently but I would rather have him in the team somewhere than not at all. Just my opinion of course :) Also, the fact we are debating a player playing in the champions league/Top end premier league says a lot about the potential of this squad just now and is a positive thing to have so many options.

My impression of McGinn is that he's good enough to stay at Villa even if they become the best team in England but a top team probably isn't gonna sign him.

Ryan Fraser's actually someone whose next move I'm interested to see. Newcastle's been pretty disastrous for him considering his stock in the 18/19 season but a drop down to the Championship could help a lot.

11 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

My impression of McGinn is that he's good enough to stay at Villa even if they become the best team in England but a top team probably isn't gonna sign him.

Ryan Fraser's actually someone whose next move I'm interested to see. Newcastle's been pretty disastrous for him considering his stock in the 18/19 season but a drop down to the Championship could help a lot.

I'm kind of torn when I hear the likes of McGinn being linked with big moves to top 6 teams. Although I think he is capable, what happens if he becomes a bench warmer? Being an integral part of an established premier league team is surely better than being a substitute. But he could end up being a regular for a bigger team, so who knows. 

Fraser is the one I'm always intrigued by. On form and fit, I genuinely would have him as one of our undroppable players. As you say, that was a while ago. Hopefully Newcastle's next manager will give him a run of games. If not, I'd prefer to see him leave, but I think he is too good for the championship. No doubt there will be some lower half EPL teams interested.

• 1 month later...

Not convinced McGinn would be a success at a team that looks to dominates games (what you would expect under from Utd now with the change in manager). Personally think his style of play is perfectly suited to a counter-attacking team. His passing rang in no better than an average PL midfielder. It’s his box-to-box ability, driving runs and use of his body that are his main qualities. Of course I could be wrong and maybe he will end up a bit of a Goretzka style player.

On 21/10/2021 at 15:28, Tartan Blood said:

Fraser is the one I'm always intrigued by. On form and fit, I genuinely would have him as one of our undroppable players. As you say, that was a while ago. Hopefully Newcastle's next manager will give him a run of games. If not, I'd prefer to see him leave, but I think he is too good for the championship. No doubt there will be some lower half EPL teams interested.

I'd quite like to see Fraser do really well at Newcastle or somewhere else partly just to see where Scotland fans would stand over him pulling out of the last squad and whether it's easier to forgive a player that is more valuable to the squad.

36 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Certainly not looking much like it in the first half.  Having a bit of a nightmare - Daniel Farke's and Kenny McLean's fault obviously.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I'd quite like to see Fraser do really well at Newcastle or somewhere else partly just to see where Scotland fans would stand over him pulling out of the last squad and whether it's easier to forgive a player that is more valuable to the squad.

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

You love to take a big munch don't you? Just can't help yourself. 😁

You used to post some half-decent stuff with the graphics and stats and what-not... It now seems a bit of a shame that you've made a decision that your best persona would be one that consistantly trolls 'Scotland fans' across every topic on the board. Each to their own.

2 minutes ago, IggyStooge said:

You used to post some half-decent stuff with the graphics and stats and what-not... It now seems a bit of a shame that you've made a decision that your best persona would be one that consistantly trolls 'Scotland fans' across every topic on the board. Each to their own.

I've adapted to the lowest common denominator that is this forum. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I just keep my observations to myself mostly now. 🎻

Edited by 2426255

4 minutes ago, IggyStooge said:

It's actually more like 'if the shoe fits...'

Ahh, so you were just having a pop? fair enough - a good case in point then as far as lowest common denominator stuff goes. Norwich losing 2 - 0 I see and Gilmour getting pelters.

Edited by 2426255

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

Ahh, so you were just having a pop? fair enough - a good case in point then.

No. I am isaying it seems you've adapted to truly become what you were initially only being accused of. Which is a bit of a shame as it negates (or at best dilutes) any of the interesting objectivity and truths in your posts.

2 minutes ago, IggyStooge said:

No. I am isaying it seems you've adapted to truly become what you were initially only being accused of. Which is a bit of a shame as it negates (or at best dilutes) any of the interesting objectivity and truths in your posts.

ahh yes, well I'd have to agree. I wasn't always this way. 😁