Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

13 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Every goal England score is exactly the same.  A ball down the channel in behind the full back and a cut back.  How are teams not defending this better?

That was exactly what my boys and I were talking about after the goal last night. You would think the opposition coaches would catch on to it too.

Just now, Thumper said:

What the f**k does Grealish offer? At least when Sterling isn't smashing into the backs of players and then somersaulting to the floor he occasionally chips in with a goal from open play.

Lee Dixon loves him and the stat about how many fouls he draws equates to how annoying he is. Unless you're leading going into the last ten minutes of a game, that's not a desirable asset.

3 minutes ago, orfc said:

So you're claiming a country that didn't exist for 1900 years gave a country that didn't exist for 900 years a good shoeing around 50AD? That's historically accuracy of a kind I'm not familiar with. Still good to trigger you like an landmine (except an italian one would have gave up and ran off) 🙂

Con +1

6 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Bernandeschi over Grealish? I'm sorry but that's an absurd shout. I can guarantee you that there isn't a Juventus fan that till agree with you on that.

Maybe, I doubt he'd get near being a regular starter for them though.

Grealish benefits from having a squad entirely built around him to promote his strengths and hide his weaknesses. He'll be horrendously found out once he moves to a bigger club and doesn't see as much of the ball, and he's asked to actually help defend.

Bernandeschi barely gets the ball at Juve as he's asked to play a supporting role to Ronaldo/Dybala/Chiesa. You think he wouldn't be a stand out if you dropped him into the Aston Villa equivalent in Serie A, 11th placed Genoa?

England have made it to the semi final of a world Cup and the finals of a Euro's and Denmark are the first top 10 ranked team they have beaten (Denmark currently ranked 10). The draw in last two competitions has been incredibly fortunate.

Whereas in the quarter and semi alone Italy have beaten the ranked number 1 and number 6.

7 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

England have made it to the semi final of a world Cup and the finals of a Euro's and Denmark are the first top 10 ranked team they have beaten (Denmark currently ranked 10). The draw in last two competitions has been incredibly fortunate.

Whereas in the quarter and semi alone Italy have beaten the ranked number 1 and number 6.

'we can only beat wots in front of us guv'.

Yes, and you barely managed it last night.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Maybe, I doubt he'd get near being a regular starter for them though.

Grealish benefits from having a squad entirely built around him to promote his strengths and hide his weaknesses. He'll be horrendously found out once he moves to a bigger club and doesn't see as much of the ball, and he's asked to actually help defend.

Bernandeschi barely gets the ball at Juve as he's asked to play a supporting role to Ronaldo/Dybala/Chiesa. You think he wouldn't be a stand out if you dropped him into the Aston Villa equivalent in Serie A, 11th placed Genoa?

Bernandeschi doesn't even a supporting role any more. He barely gets a game now. Trust me you'll really struggle to find a Juventus or Italy fan who would take him over Grealish. His selection in the Italy squad has been a running joke on Serie A twitter. 

Edited by DMCs

1 minute ago, DMCs said:

Bernandeschi doesn't even a supporting role any more. He barely gets a game now. Trust me you'll really struggle to find a Juventus or Italy who would take him over Grealish. His selection in the Italy squad has been a running joke on Serie A twitter. 

Pirlo was a clownshoe manager, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

His spell at Fiorentina before his move to Juve was reminiscent of Grealish at Villa. Except Grealish has stayed in his comfort zone instead.

There's not a huge gap between the two but given a choice I'm going for the boy who's played and performed at the highest level rather than a guy who starred in a second tier and is currently in a bottom half EPL side.

His spell at Fiorentina before his move to Juve was reminiscent of Grealish at Villa. Except Grealish has stayed in his comfort zone instead.
There's not a huge gap between the two but given a choice I'm going for the boy who's played and performed at the highest level rather than a guy who starred in a second tier and is currently in a bottom half EPL side.
Was Grealish injured last night or was the switch tactical?

15 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

You're giving credibility to a system that literally has England as 4th in the world. 

I don't think we will beat Italy but when you take a step back a semi final and then a final is mightily impressive and people trying to downplay it or act as if England are shit or lucky are just completely bitter and unobjective at this point. 

1 minute ago, dundeefc1783 said:
5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Maybe he's shite at penalties?

1 minute ago, dundeefc1783 said:

He's a huge liability defensively. He came off because they wanted to shut up shop and he's the clear weak link there.

He's nowhere near good enough at the top level to make it worthwhile for any longer than 30 minutes at the end.

24 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

That was exactly what my boys and I were talking about after the goal last night. You would think the opposition coaches would catch on to it too.

Knowing how somebody does something is not the same as knowing how to stop it.

As an English chap, I'm always conflicted watching the national team. 

However, this bunch seem like a genuine group. 

Booing the knee and GSTQ will always be toilet mind. 

Although, It's been nice seeing fans of all colours come together. 

Italy will be a real test but I actually think both teams are quite even. 

He's a huge liability defensively. He came off because they wanted to shut up shop and he's the clear weak link there.
He's nowhere near good enough at the top level to make it worthwhile for any longer than 30 minutes at the end.
Yeah shows just how much Gareth Southgate trusts him. The fanfare around him baffles me. You would think it was the second coming they way they go on

You're giving credibility to a system that literally has England as 4th in the world. 
I don't think we will beat Italy but when you take a step back a semi final and then a final is mightily impressive and people trying to downplay it or act as if England are shit or lucky are just completely bitter and unobjective at this point. 
A semi final and final is impressive but it cannot be denied that there has been quite a bit luck involved when it comes to the draw.

I think England are an efficient team and it is working for them so fair play. One thing I did notice from both semi finals was that the ability levels in the first game seemed to be way way above the second one. The first semi final was one of the best games I have seen in years.

Thought I was the only one that just couldn't see the hype around Grealish.  Obviously very good on the ball, but the way people go on about him it's like he's a world class must-pick.  There's a reason he's only been a sub, and indeed subbed off again last night.

I mean, most of this probably comes from him looking like the world's worst jakey Beckham impersonator, but still.

1 hour ago, Roker Rover said:

I wanted Scotland to do well in the tournament

I’ve heard this a lot, but I suspect the attitude would change very, very quickly if we ever actually did start doing well at tournaments, particularly if it coincided with England not doing very well. Not necessarily for you in particular, since I don’t know you, but for a lot I suspect it’s a bit like OF fans with a wee team - they’d almost immediately stop liking the wee team if they ever actually threatened to beat Celtgers consistently. 

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’ve heard this a lot, but I suspect the attitude would change very, very quickly if we ever actually did start doing well at tournaments, particularly if it coincided with England not doing very well. Not necessarily for you in particular, since I don’t know you, but for a lot I suspect it’s a bit like OF fans with a wee team - they’d almost immediately stop liking the wee team if they ever actually threatened to beat Celtgers consistently. 

But doesn't that go without saying?  I didn't really mind what England did in tournaments because it rarely affected Scotland, and usually they were good for getting punted out in the knockouts.  When we were in direct competition, they can get to f**k.  What's wrong with them saying the same thing?