Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Have to admit that I'm 50 but I would want England to lose supposing they had 11 Marcus Rashfords on the pitch, despite my admiration for him as a man. This was ably demonstrated by my roar when he quick-stepped his way to a penalty miss.

I'm 68 etc, etc

Just now, JMDP said:

Poor content gets what poor content gets, brother. 

Sometimes. You also get obsessive weirdo posters on here that display some seriously concerning, creepy behaviours. Even more worrying when you consider their job roles for some of them. 

1 hour ago, SANTAN said:

I've seen the clip plenty, 4 people were competing to win something. Scotland at no point in the tournament were anywhere near winning or stopping England from winning the thing. You were irrelevant. 

You're laughing to yourselves about being one of the worst teams in the tournament whilst your "rivals" nearly won the thing. Sounds hilarious. 

Or "beaten in the final on penalties", as we prefer to say.

6 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

Sometimes. You also get obsessive weirdo posters on here that display some seriously concerning, creepy behaviours. Even more worrying when you consider their job roles for some of them. 

20210713_151845.jpg.76652505cacec455793560890aaad28c.jpg

Just now, JMDP said:

20210713_151845.jpg.76652505cacec455793560890aaad28c.jpg

You showing evidence you've been stalking me since well before January, I sent you that message after you had been systematically disliking all my posts without interacting with me on a daily basis for weeks on end. Genuinely concerned by your unhinged behaviour so I was reaching out to make sure you were okay and not carving my username onto your arms or something. 

35 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Can someone point me to the direction of a petition to replay the semi final between England & Denmark as the good people of Denmark were clearly denied the chance of a penalty shoot out thanks to the ref & VAR painting the bed sheets brown.

Edited by GNU_Linux

Gutted. Went to sign so I could leave a comment about their glorious tears but it wouldn't let me.

The petitioner's opening statement btw:-

"After italy only receiving a yellow card for dragging England players like they were slaves..."

Ooft!

On 12/07/2021 at 13:01, Detournement said:

The "Coming Home" hype around England looks like a noose around their neck now. It's ramped up the pressure on the players, driven the fans insane like the "The Ten" did up here and seems to really piss off Euro fans and teams to the extent that a Scottish/Irish attitude to them getting beat seems quite widespread. 

Bonnuci and Schmeichel were both clearly pissed off by it and the idea that England winning is somehow more important and meaningful than anyone else is only going to motivate all of your opponents making winning more difficult.

Totally agree with this.

It started off as a good football song marking the idea of the game returning to the place it was first codified, in the form of that place hosting a tournament.  The same song lamented England's (even then) long run without success on the pitch.

However, with England doing well in the last two tournaments and with a generation born since it first came out now in adulthood, it's become warped to the point about football coming home, somehow coming to represent England winning a trophy.  As such, it has all sorts of connotations to do with success being somehow correct and fair - it now reeks of an entitlement it didn't initially carry.

In the last World Cup and in this tournament, we've seen exactly the sentiment you describe.  I think Brexit and Boris Johnson are attached to it, but there's no doubt that it's not just people in these islands that now see England defeats as desirable.

The corruption of 'Three Lions' is definitely part of that.