Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

A shame again however to see the "real fan" trope being thrown out. It's a problem that only seems to exist in a footballing context in England, and so it is English football's problem to deal with. 

Heard plenty of the "real fan" stuff when George Square was turned into a battleground too

Guest Bob Mahelp
34 minutes ago, 101 said:

The boy in blue trackies looks like he's seriously contemplating becoming a serial killer after spending 120 minutes watching football with such a large bunch of fannies.

I actually found that quite painful watching that video. Pretty much every football fan will have been through the emotions of watching their team/country in a penalty shoot out...it's not a pleasant experience. 

They just looked like football fans. Not a bunch of arseholes slagging off foreigners or blacks. I didn't feel sorry for them, but I didn't see anything in that video that was any different from any group of football fans the world over supporting their team. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I actually found that quite painful watching that video. Pretty much every football fan will have been through the emotions of watching their team/country in a penalty shoot out...it's not a pleasant experience. 

They just looked like football fans. Not a bunch of arseholes slagging off foreigners or blacks. I didn't feel sorry for them, but I didn't see anything in that video that was any different from any group of football fans the world over supporting their team. 

Aye, I've got to say I did feel pangs of sympathy for that boy on the far-right (screen, not political spectrum). He looked head to toe like the kind of guy you'd see launching patio furniture around Lisbon or the like but he looked like he was about to cry in the video.

15 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Some of them were more annoying than others, the people who didn't understand how a best of 5 worked particularly annoyed me.

That crossed hammer logo is well known as extreme right wing. A couple of clothing brands, favoured by the neo-Nazis, in Germany use it. You'll get a knock back from virtually all the stadiums in the top 3 leagues here wearing something like that.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Some of them were more annoying than others, the people who didn't understand how a best of 5 worked particularly annoyed me.

Tbh, I still thought Italy had another penalty to go after Saka missed.

In my defence, I was about 6 pints of Moretti in by that point.

Just now, jimbaxters said:

I plan to bookmark these and watch them on the run up to every major finals.

I'm sure Div will get this in the gold section for future generations.

I wasn't supporting England in the final, for the same reason that as a Dee, I don't support Utd in any finals that they get to but in Mings, Kane and Rashford they've got some fine young men willing to stand up and call out bullshit when they see it. I wish some of our "leaders" would follow suit. Respect where it is due.

21 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's young guys+bevvy+being racist twats that is the problem.

We absolutely have that element in our own society.

The difference is that they're more likely to identify with Rangers than Scotland.

We saw it in George Square in May and in Manchester in 2008.

If we had a bigger non white population, racism would be a more explicit part alongside sectarianism.

Just as with the Rangers situation, most England fans aren't like that, but plenty are.

37 minutes ago, German Jag said:

That crossed hammer logo is well known as extreme right wing. A couple of clothing brands, favoured by the neo-Nazis, in Germany use it. You'll get a knock back from virtually all the stadiums in the top 3 leagues here wearing something like that.

Thought it was just West Ham related.

4 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

We need a separate thread for all the reaction clips. 

Watching these dramatic video clips reminded me of something but I couldn't remember what it was.  Then I got it.  It was the compilation of scenes from homes and pubs of the point in Game of Thrones where Arya Stark killed the Night King.  Fear... anticipation.... hope.... hope dashed... hope again... the forces of darkness vanquished... 

Riveting stuff... 😉

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57803366

Certainly the FA acknowledging large numbers of people involved. 

A shame again however to see the "real fan" trope being thrown out. It's a problem that only seems to exist in a footballing context in England, and so it is English football's problem to deal with. 

The "not real fans" thing gets rolled out all the time.  It's such a cop out.  They're wearing England shirts and carrying St Georges flegs, clearly they are England fans.   Admit that you have a problem with a section of your fanbase, including those who actually go to the matches, and fkin deal with it.  

This of course applies to other countries and teams apart from England.