Illusory Superiority on P&B

Illusory Superiority on P&B  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

What’s smart about learning a mathematical ratio to a degree of accuracy that would only be used in interstellar astronomy, where you would rely on a computer to do the calculation anyway?

I can recite the alphabet backwards. It’s a useless skill and doesn’t make me smart. It just means I was really bored one Sunday morning when I was a child and decided to learn the alphabet backwards.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

Combining your two comments, I know Pi to ten decimal points because it was something I learnt at school and I doubt I will ever unlearn it.  Some people use a nmemonic such as "How I wish I could recollect Pi easily today".

(I wish I could always remember how to spell "nmemonic").

However I find 3.14 is usually close enough on most occasions.  Like you, I see little point knowing more decimals for Pi.

I can name the 50 states of America because I once made an effort to do this and again I am not likely to unlearn them.  Not much use unless you also know where they are, how big they are, rivers, cities and so on.

Occasionally I try to learn the elements of the periodic table.  Not so good.  Not much use unless you learn something about them.  For example in one part of the table the sequence is not toxic, very toxic, very very toxic, extremely toxic, not toxic, toxic, and toxic.  

These all sound like fantastic ways to impress the ladies. And to do well on pointless. Not mutually exclusive. 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

These all sound like fantastic ways to impress the ladies. And to do well on pointless. Not mutually exclusive. 

Not entirely true.  I recall one night out where I mentioned that I knew all the US states and their capitols as well. 

This one bore then asked "okay, what is the capitol of New Hampshire?"

"Concord", I replied.

"Okay then, what about South Dakota?"

You can see where this is going.  Despite me saying repeatedly that I knew all of them, he just kept asking one after another.

Everybody else was thoroughly bored.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

For some reason I memorised the square root of 21 to 8 figures when I was about 12 or something. It'll come in handy any day now.

Must be frustrating when someone asks for the square root of 22.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

Not entirely true.  I recall one night out where I mentioned that I knew all the US states and their capitols as well. 

This one bore then asked "okay, what is the capitol of New Hampshire?"

"Concord", I replied.

"Okay then, what about South Dakota?"

You can see where this is going.  Despite me saying repeatedly that I knew all of them, he just kept asking one after another.

Everybody else was thoroughly bored.

What state capital would you go for on pointless? 

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Oooft, over 80% now.  No wonder so many threads turn into a condescending sh*tshow when 8/10 posters perceive themselves to be in the forum's elite.

That's incredible.

Anyone ever done an IQ test

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Statistician - there are 7 billion people on the planet, only 1800 are killed by tigers. Think I'll go and say hullo and maybe stick my head in it's mouth, I'm more likely to be struck by lightning than something going wrong.

That’s far too exciting a sentence for a statistician to make.

24 minutes ago, coprolite said:

What state capital would you go for on pointless? 

Obviously one of the ones where most people think it is somewhere else.

Salem.

I would not expect to win.  Even if nobody in the audience knows all of them, at least one person will know each of them

5 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Salem.

I would not expect to win.  Even if nobody in the audience knows all of them, at least one person will know each of them

You credit the British public with too much knowledge. 

I'd guess there would be pointless states, nevermind their capitals. 

7 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Salem.

They don't even know Albion Rovers.

24 minutes ago, coprolite said:

You credit the British public with too much knowledge. 

I'd guess there would be pointless states, never mind their capitals.

Not really.  I have seen these sort of questions on Pointless - States that have a coastline, States that don't have a coastline, West of the Mississippi, East of the Mississippi, that border Canada, border Mexico, end with a vowel, don't end with a vowel.  Always someone that knows one of them.

I feel sorry for the guy who appeared on Pointless and said his special subject was Middlesbrough Football Club.  He reached the final and was asked to name a former captain of the Scotland team.  He failed.  He was then asked if he knew of a player called Stephen McManus.  He replied "My Dad is going to kill me."

1 hour ago, 101 said:

That's incredible.

Anyone ever done an IQ test

It's not the actual IQ score I was interested in, more the attitude towards others.  I suspect that most posters will consider themselves to be nothing particularly special, but think of others as relatively moronic.  Folk will then end up fighting over a point, convinced there's a good chance they're in the right.

Referring back to the OP, you can have rather intelligent people finding themselves at any stage of that Dunning-Kruger curve, particularly the high-confidence/low-ability part.  One might argue that's where they end up most on GN when they assume that they must be knowledgeable about at most things (given a little data or a Wikipedia page) because they have expertise in something completely unrelated.

Edited by Hedgecutter