Tokyo "2020"

Donathan

Do we have any realistic medal hopes in the athletics? We’ve had Farah, Ennis etc who have come in previous years as genuine gold medal contenders but this time around, it feels as if we’ve scraping the barrel a touch. I don’t really follow athletics week in, week out to know however.

2 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

Do we have any realistic medal hopes in the athletics? We’ve had Farah, Ennis etc who have come in previous years as genuine gold medal contenders but this time around, it feels as if we’ve scraping the barrel a touch. I don’t really follow athletics week in, week out to know however.

Laura Muir and Jemma Reekie are real medal chances

KJT would be a gold medal contender but there are question marks over her fitness. We tend to have a chance in the relays though not so much if DAS is out. Muir and Reekie have a chance and maybe Holly Bradshaw in the pole vault.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Definitely scraping the barrel.

Asher-Smith had chances in 200m till she withdrew.

Laura Muir has a real chance in 1500m.

Jemma Reekie in the 800m.

Everyone else is an outside chance.

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Definitely scraping the barrel.

Asher-Smith had chances in 200m till she withdrew.

Laura Muir has a real chance in 1500m.

Jemma Reekie in the 800m.

Everyone else is an outside chance.

I suppose that will be part of the reason they were feverishly touting Asher-Smith. 

I doubt Reekie or Muir will get quite the same coverage though... 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Turned over when the waterworks started. I'm assuming the mood in the studio is now near funereal. 

Just seen the interview with DAS. So it appears she shouldn't even have gone to the Olympics, due to a hamstring injury; thus denying other athletes then opportunity of participating in the 100m, 200m & Relay? Alex Bell's performance, after Laura Muir's withdrawl in the 800m, is proof that those unfancied competitors can shine, when given the chance.