English Premier League 2021/22 Season

I hate this talk about years ahead. Aye Man Utd probably aren't going to challenge next season with the state they are in but really if they go out and recruit well they could win the EPL in a couple of years.  Similarly Klopp could leave Liverpool and it all falls to bit.

Actually on investigating Man Utd contract maguire is contracted until 2026. So no fixing anything until then. But if they had the mind to move him and a few others on for knock down prices and rebuild they are still one of the richest clubs in the world and can attract (i.e. pay huge wages to) some of the best in the world.

I hate this talk about years ahead. Aye Man Utd probably aren't going to challenge next season with the state they are in but really if they go out and recruit well they could win the EPL in a couple of years.  Similarly Klopp could leave Liverpool and it all falls to bit.
Actually on investigating Man Utd contract maguire is contracted until 2026. So no fixing anything until then. But if they had the mind to move him and a few others on for knock down prices and rebuild they are still one of the richest clubs in the world and can attract (i.e. pay huge wages to) some of the best in the world.

Or they could have a wait of 21 years and match Liverpool's 30 year barren run.

Man United have maybe 4 players good enough for a title challenging team, fortunately at least one of them (Sancho) is quite young.  They also have a good academy so if they recruit well and nurture the young talent then they have the capability of building a title winning team in four or five years.

That's not going to happen though, they are going to spunk a bunch of money on ageing "Big Names" and continue to have disjointed teams

5 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Man United have maybe 4 players good enough for a title challenging team, fortunately at least one of them (Sancho) is quite young.  They also have a good academy so if they recruit well and nurture the young talent then they have the capability of building a title winning team in four or five years.

That's not going to happen though, they are going to spunk a bunch of money on ageing "Big Names" and continue to have disjointed teams

Sanchos debut season is in stark contrast to Diaz's debut half season. Never mind the fact the former grew up in England and used to live and play football in Manchester and the latter doesn't even speak English.

The mark of a great coach is someone who improves players, a properly coached McTominay and Fred could have a similar impact to Henderson and Fabinho (although granted neither will ever be Thiago).

Currently pretty much every player who goes to Man Utd gets worse and that will only make recruitment more difficult, players know they will likely improve at Liverpool or Man City and get thrown under the bus at Man Utd.

Also see it's pretty much confirmed Haaland will be going to City which is quite expected. As posted earlier he would have certainly preferred Real but they will focus on Mbappe this summer (who is the bigger catch) and probably move there in a few years time.

It's big for the EPL who have struggled to attract the very best players who still prefer La Liga, probably their biggest superstar since Ronaldo left. And the league's highest profile attacking signing in decades.

9 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

100% agree, a team is only a few really good key signings to stark improvements. Man Utd finished above Liverpool last season, while that wasn't a true reflection of the teams ability it still happened.

I may be wrong but my recollection was a few years ago that Liverpool were in the Europa league and hovering around 3rd-4th in the league then they signed Van Dijk and Allison and these 2 players improved the team to a totally different level. A top player can improve those around them which means Man Utd don’t need a whole new 11 but a few of the right players in the right positions and then a few of the players not performing right now start to reach their potential. Man Utd are a team who can afford to find the next superstar in any position and if they had good scouts and identify the correct players the gap between the teams can be cut in a very short time.

Whether they do it or not is a totally different question and there is no indication they have the right strategy or personnel to do so.

11 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
11 hours ago, Jim McLean said:

Or they could have a wait of 21 years and match Liverpool's 30 year barren run.

Oooooooh.

5 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Sanchos debut season is in stark contrast to Diaz's debut half season. Never mind the fact the former grew up in England and used to live and play football in Manchester and the latter doesn't even speak English.

The mark of a great coach is someone who improves players, a properly coached McTominay and Fred could have a similar impact to Henderson and Fabinho (although granted neither will ever be Thiago).

Currently pretty much every player who goes to Man Utd gets worse and that will only make recruitment more difficult, players know they will likely improve at Liverpool or Man City and get thrown under the bus at Man Utd.

Also see it's pretty much confirmed Haaland will be going to City which is quite expected. As posted earlier he would have certainly preferred Real but they will focus on Mbappe this summer (who is the bigger catch) and probably move there in a few years time.

It's big for the EPL who have struggled to attract the very best players who still prefer La Liga, probably their biggest superstar since Ronaldo left. And the league's highest profile attacking signing in decades.

They still have the pull to attract big name coaches.  What they need to do is bring in a coach and give him full control of recruitment to build a team his way, that way he can build a team to suit his playing style the way Klopp has been able to at Liverpool

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Not for me. I'd rather they brought in Tim Sherwood and got relegated, please.

It would be glorious. 

I did see a media report that they had considered Lopetegui but partially discounted him because they thought he could be the next Unai Emery (who I know struggled at Arsenal but is still a top coach and is proving that again).

Ten Haag could be the next De Boer. He probably won't be, but it's the same fairly rubbish reasoning.

And weird seeing Murtogh and Darren Fletcher being considered the big bosses.

Listening to Phil Babbs opinion on why Leicester have been shit this season. He starts off with "too many injuries to key players, it's as simple as that".

He then goes on to name Vardy as having missed a lot through injury before moving on the name Maddison and Barnes as having been not very good.

So maybe not quite as simple as just injuries then m9......