English Premier League 2021/22 Season

23 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

All the punters fans etc "we have our club back" is quite the thing 🤣

There was a guy tying himself in knots on 5Live yesterday claiming that them being bought by Saudi Arabia was balanced out by the fact they support a foodbank.

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

There was a guy tying himself in knots on 5Live yesterday claiming that them being bought by Saudi Arabia was balanced out by the fact they support a foodbank.

Aye the Saudi's will be donating big bags of meat with ligature marks on it.

10 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Does anyone know why it is that Newcastle fans seem to think they’re a big club? As far as I can tell, other than a spell of nearly achieving things in the mid 90’s, they’ve been pretty much universally shite since WW2. 

The big club thing seems to be more from the media side from what I’ve seen and has done for a few years now.

Be a good save on football manager but otherwise another sell out to a bunch of murdering c***s.

12 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Yes and Yes

Both are wrong

Scottish papers will run a story that they are after him then when he doesn't get it Rangers fans will say he turned it down because 'Rangers are a bigger club'

They really are on a different planet.

12 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Does anyone know why it is that Newcastle fans seem to think they’re a big club? As far as I can tell, other than a spell of nearly achieving things in the mid 90’s, they’ve been pretty much universally shite since WW2. 

I think big crowds and pashun is about the extent of it.

9 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Do people really think Newcastle will be looking at Gerrard?

And do Rangers fan really think he would turn it down?

Gerrard is perfect for them, they'll still be a couple of seasons away from Top 4, plenty of players grew up with him as an idol, Jude Bellingham being one of them and why would he stay at Rangers if they showed the slightest bit of interest ? 

25 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Cloughie nails it towards the end.

Spoiler

No, maybe 6th or 7th at best.

Edited by jagfox BLM

Slippy has played the Glasgow scene perfectly tbh. Improvements on the park, a title which he helped hype up as being "more" because of 2 utterly meaningless numbers (55 and 10) occassional feeding of the paranoia monster.... He will be off like a shot at the first opportunity. I don't really have any strong feelings on him either way, but you have to admire the way he has played his time in Scotland, which will undoubtedly be centred around getting an EPL job. 

On 17/09/2021 at 21:33, Namond Brice said:

Kinda wished that the Saudi takeover of Newcastle had happened. Sure, you'd be hard pressed to find a bigger bunch of insufferable goons if they did come into some oil money, but watching the seethe as they pished 200 mil up the wall every transfer window just to finish between 6th and 12th would be hilarious.

Sticking to my take from last month on the Newcastle takeover.

13 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

you tell us what makes a ''big club''   ? Winning loads of trophies while playing in a shite league ?

Spoiler

Al Ahly SC logo.png

1 minute ago, Meldrew said:

you tell us what makes a ''big club''   ? Winning loads of trophies while playing in a shite league ?

Reveal hidden contents

Al Ahly SC logo.png

In an Egyptian or African context, Al-Ahly are obviously a massive club so I don’t know what point you’re making.

Newcastle, however, are not a particularly big club in an English context. I’m just wondering what makes them think otherwise, and as alluded to above it’s probably that they get some decent crowds and that overweight middle aged Newcastle fans take their tops off at away games. 

36 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

There's a lot of teams who would like three FA Cups & the Fairs Cup so they could be classified as "shite".

Not to mention the Inter Toto Cup, 2 Texaco Cups and the Anglo-Italian Cup

12 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

Reveal hidden contents

Al Ahly SC logo.png

Various factors:

Success (has to be pit in context though, leagues where the winners come from the same 2-3 teams don't carry the same value as genuinely competitive leagues)

Crowd size/following

Finance

Attraction (to players and managers, OF can't say they are bigger than teams that they lose players to, if a guy from Holland or Sweden sees the likes of Southampton or West Ham as progress in their career then how much longer can they claim to be bigger than these teams? We are not stuck in the 80's, time has moved on and so has football)

8 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Various factors:

Success (has to be pit in context though, leagues where the winners come from the same 2-3 teams don't carry the same value as genuinely competitive leagues)

Crowd size/following

Finance

Attraction (to players and managers, OF can't say they are bigger than teams that they lose players to, if a guy from Holland or Sweden sees the likes of Southampton or West Ham as progress in their career then how much longer can they claim to be bigger than these teams? We are not stuck in the 80's, time has moved on and so has football)

i would say finance tops all of those others in todays world unless you have a lot of the other 2, the two  most successful clubs in the last decade of english football weren't at the races before they won the lottery are now among the biggest