Raith vs Accies, 31/7/21

I’ll defer to those present with a better view, but that’s  an inexperienced 18 y-o who made an error, so I not raving about it. It certainly looked the Accies CB would have had a fair shot at intercepting a cross on the replay, perhaps earlier than you see there?
Few inches lower and it wasn't a mistake. He had every right to take the shot on but Connolly did have an open goal if he played the pass. It goes in and he's full of confidence, it didn't but he kept working hard. After being 4-0 up you can't really blame anyone for not taking chances although we should have scored more.

18 minutes ago, grumswall said:
29 minutes ago, TxRover said:
I’ll defer to those present with a better view, but that’s  an inexperienced 18 y-o who made an error, so I not raving about it. It certainly looked the Accies CB would have had a fair shot at intercepting a cross on the replay, perhaps earlier than you see there?

Few inches lower and it wasn't a mistake. He had every right to take the shot on but Connolly did have an open goal if he played the pass. It goes in and he's full of confidence, it didn't but he kept working hard. After being 4-0 up you can't really blame anyone for not taking chances although we should have scored more.

100% agree. Varian, I didn’t see he had a better choice than what he attempted, but he slipped, not sure there is fault there either because he had little,choice. Zanatta attempted to nutmeg the goalie because he was so close when he established control, not sure what he could have done differently either. Heartbreaking to lose after those chances fall by the wayside, but that’s why we play the games.

100% agree. Varian, I didn’t see he had a better choice than what he attempted, but he slipped, not sure there is fault there either because he had little,choice. Zanatta attempted to nutmeg the goalie because he was so close when he established control, not sure what he could have done differently either. Heartbreaking to lose after those chances fall by the wayside, but that’s why we play the games.
It looked like zannata was playing with confidence and a bit of cockiness. He's probably just tried to be too smart when he should have slipped it past fulton. Varion was just simply him losing his footing, frustrating but again he showed the confidence to try go round fulton when he probably should have just slipped it past him.
Wasn't keen on zannata signing but he's certainly looked alot better than I anticipated and his goal yesterday was a great strike. He made a couple of good defensive blocks/ challenges as well as being a pain to the Hamilton defence at times.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

I'll get back to you when I've watched the highlights.  I'm not quite 'there' yet...

Varian did have a better choice - to take the shot on earlier. Rounding a keeper is always tempting fate, particularly when there are other defenders around, and a good shot was, to me, the safer and better option. That said, he too is a youngster and I think he shows promise. Today the disbelief has waned somewhat and I'm enjoying how we played for those 65 mins. We'll be ok.

Varian did have a better choice - to take the shot on earlier. Rounding a keeper is always tempting fate, particularly when there are other defenders around, and a good shot was, to me, the safer and better option. That said, he too is a youngster and I think he shows promise. Today the disbelief has waned somewhat and I'm enjoying how we played for those 65 mins. We'll be ok.
I think he took a heavy touch just when he should have taken the shot on. He then was closer to fulton so decided to try go round him. He should have just taken the shot on earlier though before fulton could narrow the angle.

I think it was a bit of cockiness from Varian to try and take it round the keeper instead of just having the shot earlier.  In hindsight it was the wrong choice, but much like McGlynn’s subs, at the time and with how the game was going at that point I can understand it. 

After he missed it somebody behind me made a comment about how if we’d been drawing and he’d done that he’d be getting pelters but you can get away with trying things like that at 4-1.  Famous last words.

1 hour ago, grumswall said:
2 hours ago, Brashy said:

I think he took a heavy touch just when he should have taken the shot on. He then was closer to fulton so decided to try go round him. He should have just taken the shot on earlier though before fulton could narrow the angle.

Exactly how I saw it, the touch was a bit off and he was then too close to the keeper to make the shot, so he trusted he could get around the keeper, and he did…but slipped. We had a second player there who also has a shot to put it away, but the defender covered.

Managed to stomach the highlights in the hope of gaining some sort of closure. Too soon. 

First goal, nothing really to be said. Seems to be a bit of moaning wanting a foul but I don't see it myself. Zanatta should've done a lot better with his one-on-one after that - the left hand side of the goal is gaping. Varian slips after rounding the 'keeper, which is more unfortunate than anything else. Two golden chances wasted, then. 

4-2 is just a bit too soft. Tumilty is far too easily beaten by Ryan, who finishes well. It is very poor defending to show a player inside like that. 

4-3 is another piece of soft as shit defending. Dismal attempted tackle by Riley-Snow, who is soundly beaten and the cross is turned in. He needs to be much alert as the casual nature of it is infuriating. Just a minute later a Hamilton player is left free at the back post following a set piece as well. 

Fotheringham should've scored that chance. I don't think he can be blamed for that as Connolly likely wouldn't have been visible, although I'm sure Connolly was indeed screaming at him for the cut back. I messaged my brother after that saying something along the lines of "they'll run up and score". Spoiler: they did. 

4-4 is more not encouraging defending from Riley-Snow who is to easily beaten to a header. Again, the Hamilton player goes inside Tumilty for the cross and Berra is too easily beaten to the ball. Amongst the list of defensive crimes is a guy beyond Berra who is entirely unmarked as well waiting to follow the ball in if necessary. 

Bringing on Riley-Snow made sense, I thought. From the Livingston game I was encouraged that he sounded like quite a steely player, which we really need whilst Matthews is not available. Unfortunately, his showing here was extremely soft and he's implicated in a couple of the goals. All of the goals came from our right and that needs to be looked at. Not saying anyone certainly needs to be dropped, but there was a recurring pattern. I think the midfield needed to be stronger, though, and perhaps if Matthews was around it might not have happened. Saying that, would we have dominated the way we did the first 65? 

Football, eh? bloody hell. 

Edited by Michael W

Just watched the highlights. Some game! Look at the 3 further 1 on 1 chances we have after it goes 4-1. Really should have taken one of them but the way the game was going it would have just ended up 5-5.  I can imagine if I was there it wouldn’t have been good for my ❤️ heart. Just as well the club have a defibrillator. 4-0 up with 22 minutes left and drawing 4-4 is horrible. Questions will be asked.

Exactly, as noted elsewhere, Tumilty might have been nicked, so perhaps McKay for Tumilty would have been the move instead of withdrawing Vaughan, assuming Vaughan wasn’t nicked. In that case, still McKay for Vaughan and go three wide across the back. Templeton was schooling us, and is a quality player. Varian’s chance wasn’t a terrible choice, as he was too close to the keeper with control…Fotheringham should probably have passed, but it was a sweetly struck ball…Zanatta tried to nutmeg the keeper, but he responded well to block it, his control was established a little to close to do anything else.
The amount of flailing about in from of the net was most concerning for us, but I was honestly expecting to start this game with three CB, not two, so having this happen wasn’t entirely surprising. Our clean sheets were against lower level opposition and a toothless Livi. Varian looks very skillful, BRS looks a bit raw and inexperienced. Agree the feeling isn’t great, but it’s not curtains either.
He wasn't too close to the keeper. First or second touch low into the corner, end of game. Never do thst when the goal is gaping.

He wasn't too close to the keeper. First or second touch low into the corner, end of game. Never do thst when the goal is gaping.
He was by the time he took the touch to take it round the 'keeper. Fulton had narrowed the angle by then.

If we are after a scapegoat it's the subs. That was the turning point only bad things happened after this. 

That said it's the opening game and the first hour was excellent so there's nothing to be gained from going into melt down about it and hounding players for it. I just worry about the damage that will have caused to the confidence of the team and despite "team spirit" you can bet your arse there will have been some inquest in the changing room afterwards much like any other workplace where something has gone tits up in spectacular fashion. 

First time at Stark's on Saturday, taking in a game with my old man. I didn't know what to expect going in to the game but hoped the Rovers could edge it.

For me, I can best describe it as it going 4-0 and me thinking, “This is quality. The Rovers aren’t done here and I’m going to be describing a 6-0 later - talk about a first game!” Then Hamilton scored and my thoughts were, “Ach, 5-1 is going to seem far worse than 4-0.” When their second went in, my old man & I both turned to each other and said Hamilton weren’t done. I knew Hamilton would score a third and - even though I didn’t see Rovers scoring a fifth by that point - I never imagined them conceding a fourth. By the end of the game, I genuinely thought if that game had 5-10 minutes left, Hamilton would have won.

Just an incredible turnaround after such a dominant first half. Fair play to the Hamilton fans who stuck around - something positive to go daft for after all. I guess this is the stuff that keeps you going back again & again. I'll need to head along to another game soon; work out whether I'm a jinx or not...

On 01/08/2021 at 09:29, Accies1 said:

Accies fans have previous of leaving games in Fife early. Few years ago wee were 3-0 down to Cowdenbeath and a fair few left before we made an incredible comeback which included a goal from the half way line from Jesus.

Happened years ago at a Cup Tie versus East Fife also.The game went to extra time and penalties and half our support missed it as they left before the 90th minute and missed another great comeback.

I couldn't make it on Saturday,so had to resort to Hesgoals and the "quality" feed.☺

I went out the back door at 4-0 and by the time I came back in it was 4-2 and  time to turn it back on.

Good attacking play by Rovers who should have scored 6 or 7, but a great comeback by us.

These clowns in the Boardroom have to get some players in as that starting 11 will relegate us as we can't rely on Templeton every week as he won't be fit to play every week.

A decent Manager would help, but even if we had lost 7-0 his job was safe and that is to do with other issues which can't be posted on here.

2 hours ago, voddyman said:

I'm curious, Does that Hamilton comeback of scoring 4 goals in the last 20 minutes create any record, or has there been shorter and better comebacks.

Always say the 2018 3-4 win over Airdrie is the best. Down to 10 men (Davo red for a head but), at Airdrie and trailing 3-1, scored at 87, 90+1 and 90+4 to take the match. https://www.raithrovers.net/36442/airdrieonians-3-4-raith-rovers.htm

1969 at Rugby Park we were up 4-0 at half time cruising George Falconer scored three and Jim Gillespie the other. Second half Killie put a sub on a certain Tommy McLean and he ran riot we were booting the ball anywhere as the game came to an end after 90 minutes. At half time the thoughts were on how many are we going to get before the end. Counting chickens possibly.

21 hours ago, steakngravy said:

1969 at Rugby Park we were up 4-0 at half time cruising George Falconer scored three and Jim Gillespie the other. Second half Killie put a sub on a certain Tommy McLean and he ran riot we were booting the ball anywhere as the game came to an end after 90 minutes. At half time the thoughts were on how many are we going to get before the end. Counting chickens possibly.

Exactly certain players can change games. Vaughan is that player for us. When he’s fit and raring to go. The rest of the team lift themselves too