NRJFA Leagues

GNU_Linux

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

?

Near the end, "so the dream now is just to move on the HL, try and keep the profile of the club, and if we did manage to do well in the HL we could see where we go from there"

Edited by Ginaro

Banks o'Dee won the Aberdeenshire Shield last night beating Huntly 5-3 on pens after a 3-3 draw. Dee were 2-0 down after an hour; fought back to eventually lead 3-2 before a Huntly pen levelled the scores.

This means that Dee did the Aberdeenshire double after beating Formartine in the Shire Cup earlier in the season.

If they get in, it should certainly create a stir in the HFL next season.

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Does that happen very often?  The same club doing the Aberdeenshire cup double  I'm guessing BOD are certainly the first non-HL side to do it.

Seems to be since the Shield came back in 90/91.

1. Deveronvale 94/95
  2. Fraserburgh 96/97
  3. Peterhead 98/99
  4. Buckie Thistle 07/08
  5. Fraserburgh 15/16
  6. Fraserburgh 19/20

http://sfha.org.uk/aberdeenshirecup.htm

http://sfha.org.uk/aberdeenshireshield.htm

Double winners Banks O'Dee in right place for Highland League promotion

Lachie MacLeod believes Banks o’ Dee are in a great place to try to win promotion to the Breedon Highland League.

The Junior side won the Morrison Motors (Turriff) Aberdeenshire Shield for the first time on Wednesday night with a penalty shoot-out success against Huntly.

It caps a memorable double for Dee, who also claimed the Evening Express Aberdeenshire Cup for the first time in October.

This season, for the first time, there is the opportunity for Junior clubs to get promoted to the Highland League.

Although Banks o’ Dee still have work to do to win the North Region Superleague and secure a place in the play-offs, striker MacLeod believes they are capable.

The 23-year-old said: “The club is definitely in the right place to go for it.

“You can see how we’ve performed in the Aberdeenshire tournaments and in the Scottish Cup as well.

“Now is probably a pretty good time and better than at any time before to go for it.

“We’ve established ourselves and we’ve built up a good facility at Spain Park and a good squad, so why not?”

History made by Junior side

Banks o’ Dee were pushed all the way in the Aberdeenshire Shield final by Huntly, but eventually prevailed 5-3 on penalties following a 3-3 draw.

It is only the sixth time a club has won the Aberdeenshire Cup and Shield in the same season.

Fraserburgh (three times), Peterhead and Buckie Thistle are the other sides to do it.

MacLeod added: “It was a really difficult game in really difficult conditions and we knew it would be very tricky.

“There was a bit of doubt if it would go ahead, but we’re really pleased that it did.

“We’re buzzing to win both trophies – the gaffer mentioned only three clubs had done it in the same season.

“For us, as a Junior team, to go and win it and win it in the style we did shows we’ve got that side to us where we can dig it out.

“There’s more to us than just playing attractive football at Spain Park.

“We managed to go and do it at a difficult venue against a really good side in Huntly.”

Super-sub changed the game

MacLeod made a game-changing contribution in the final.

He came off the bench with his side trailing 2-0, but scored Dee’s second and third goals as they netted three times in seven minutes to take the lead.

MacLeod also scored during the penalty shoot-out and was pleased with his contribution.

He said: “You want to start every game, especially in the big games, so I was disappointed not to start.

“But Jack Henderson and I are going to toe-to-toe at the minute and you can see with the goals we’ve scored this season that we’re feeding off each other.

“We always know whichever striker starts the other one will support them.

“We can play together as well, but the team probably plays best in a 4-3-3, so that’s just the way it is.

“I was absolutely buzzing with my contribution, but it’s what strikers are there to do in tough games is score goals.

“Jack made the second goal and that just shows we can play together.”

Edited by GNU_Linux

On 14/02/2022 at 02:12, Ray Patterson said:

Banks O'Dee Chairman said their looking forward to the HL on AVFTT the other night so will defo be playing in the HL next season* and won't be dragging their heels again.

*assuming there isn't a Lochee United-type in PO.

The chance of a licensed champion in the ML is very remote. Both ourselves and Tayport are too far behind now and no other clubs are close to licensing at this point. In the NCL it's only Golspie who are licensed and no clubs are close to obtaining one as far as I know. Golspie are also too far behind in the league. So barring a massive implosion, BOD look to be guaranteed to go to the play-off against the HL bottom placed team which shouldn't be a problem to them.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

The chance of a licensed champion in the ML is very remote. Both ourselves and Tayport are too far behind now and no other clubs are close to licensing at this point. In the NCL it's only Golspie who are licensed and no clubs are close to obtaining one as far as I know. Golspie are also too far behind in the league. So barring a massive implosion, BOD look to be guaranteed to go to the play-off against the HL bottom placed team which shouldn't be a problem to them.

Are Carnoustie making any progress, for next year I mean?

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Are Carnoustie making any progress, for next year I mean?

I know they're working on improving their ground, but it was quite bare so there is a lot to do. No idea if they aim at licensing for next season, but I wouldn't be surprised if they need more time.

Edited by Marten