Kilwinning Rangers 24/25

Friendly result last night:

Buffs 1 Talbot 3

A good workout for both teams. Buffs unrecognisable from the team that finished last season.

Onwards and upwards. COYB 🔵 ⚪ 🔵 ⚪ 

The main concern for me was our number four who I initially thought was one of the many trialists and would be easily binned only to find out he is one of our new signings!

Kavanagh was poor for us previously and played yesterday.

Goalkeeper the bright spark for me which tells its own story.

If Woods body language is anything to go by he’ll be away shortly.

2 hours ago, Westy1 said:

Took the game in last night, worry for you guys this season. 

You’ve had it in for The Buffs for a while now. So no surprise

its hardly a game to judge anyone, first proper friendly of the season. With 3 trialists featuring and a number of new signings and key players out with injury. Playing against a Talbot side with the majority of squad returning from last seasons with a couple of trialists complementing the players around them!

Can you explain how I’ve had it in for the Buffs? 

Or are we not allowed an opinion? 

You didn't do well last season & your squad looks a-lot weaker, with the better players that remain wanting away. 

How do you see it going?

1 hour ago, Westy1 said:

Can you explain how I’ve had it in for the Buffs? 

Or are we not allowed an opinion? 

You didn't do well last season & your squad looks a-lot weaker, with the better players that remain wanting away. 

How do you see it going?

all I’ve seen is negative comments, The Buffs could be anything this year once the squad settles down and you can’t base anything off one game against one of the best teams in the premier division!

If you navigate to the top of this page, my first comment is “good signing” quoting Conor McLaughlin, who is a fantastic player that I really like. So maybe you haven’t looked that hard if negativity is all you've seen. 

My opinion isn’t only based on one match. I saw your team last season, seeing the comings and goings, Stuart, Lewis Boyd, Lamont, Wood will all be gone, to be replaced with who?And although I have a good relationship and really like Kevin Kelly as a man, you cannot say it’s an inspirational appointment? One season as manager in this league and relegated, before failing to get promoted back into it. Speaks volumes of where the buffs see themselves at the moment.

am I being unfair in saying any of that? I will be happy to apologise if so.

Regardless of what you think of my comments, I really like the buffs as a club, they have a good social media presence, great facilities and I think would be a welcome addition to the Premier league again, but, I don't see that being any time soon unfortunately. 

8 minutes ago, Westy1 said:

If you navigate to the top of this page, my first comment is “good signing” quoting Conor McLaughlin, who is a fantastic player that I really like. So maybe you haven’t looked that hard if negativity is all you've seen. 

My opinion isn’t only based on one match. I saw your team last season, seeing the comings and goings, Stuart, Lewis Boyd, Lamont, Wood will all be gone, to be replaced with who?And although I have a good relationship and really like Kevin Kelly as a man, you cannot say it’s an inspirational appointment? One season as manager in this league and relegated, before failing to get promoted back into it. Speaks volumes of where the buffs see themselves at the moment.

am I being unfair in saying any of that? I will be happy to apologise if so.

We've got a new manager just in the door, so unfair to be critical after one pre season friendly.

Also unfair to judge against an established Talbot side.

I've no idea what my expectations are for the upcoming season, it's impossible to predict. I think it's fair to suggest that we won't have the same quality of players that we've generally been used to, for a variety of reasons. What that'll mean in terms of goals and targets, I suspect that we'll have to be realistic.

Anyway, looking forward to the new season, let's give everybody a chance and see where it takes us.

Buffs fans should expect a downgrade and a less ‘successful’ season than last purely because of the quality and experience they’ve lost imo. I think on the whole most Buffs supporters are willing to let Kelly build something and won’t be heading into the season with lofty expectations. 

The question is whether he has the qualities/resources to do that, working in a division that is notoriously competitive.

Edited by coistysgoldenboots

1 hour ago, coistysgoldenboots said:

Buffs fans should expect a downgrade and a less ‘successful’ season than last purely because of the quality and experience they’ve lost imo. I think on the whole most Buffs supporters are willing to let Kelly build something and won’t be heading into the season with lofty expectations. 

The question is whether he has the qualities/resources to do that, working in a division that is notoriously competitive.

That's probably where most Buffs fans are at. A huge transitional period at the club this season.

I think a lot of those comments are pretty balanced. I’m not a Buffs fan, but like most, generally there is a lot to like about the club.

That said, they finished comfortably mid-table and despite a period at the top of the league due to matches played, imo were never anything other than a mid-table team. My personal view was because they only had 7/8 good players for that level, and I might be wrong but think they’ve lost all of them bar Boylan.

It makes no impact to me where they finish, but I’d suggest staying up would be success. 

As a side note, doesn’t look great if players are sticking themselves up for transfer after the new gaffer joins. 

Edited by FitbaGuy

3 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

St Cadocs charging £9 & £5 for Buffs friendly at Benburb today.

Surely some mistake?

Pure greed I know they have no fans charging that is not going to do them any favours.

5 hours ago, wow-wee said:

Pure greed I know they have no fans charging that is not going to do them any favours.

Turned out to be a mix up by their Media team, I think I paid £6 and heard the guy on the gate saying they hadn't noticed the pricing on the post.

Good first half from the Buffs today, competing well and looked more like a team.

Second goal just before half time was a clear foul on the defender, Linesman seemed to flag for it, ref ignored it.

Second half we weren't at the races.

A lot of Subs as you'd expect in a friendly, a couple of which look way out of their depth and unable to do the basics.

Thankfully still got a few weeks to iron out the wrinkles.

On 11/07/2024 at 16:32, coistysgoldenboots said:

Buffs seem in a sorry state on and off pitch, pitch looking terrible and untouched during season. Experienced players all leaving. 

Seems a lack of structure to the club. Worryingly for the Buff Colin Boyd seems to be floating around the idea of a return. 

As one of the teams leading the change for the WoS league I can't help but think they are the biggest losers of the new set up. 

Unfortunately for Buff fans I think it may take a few years for the team to return to the top flight. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, leaguereformer said:

Buffs seem in a sorry state on and off pitch, pitch looking terrible and untouched during season. Experienced players all leaving. 

Seems a lack of structure to the club. Worryingly for the Buff Colin Boyd seems to be floating around the idea of a return. 

As one of the teams leading the change for the WoS league I can't help but think they are the biggest losers of the new set up. 

Unfortunately for Buff fans I think it may take a few years for the team to return to the top flight. 

Buffs have always been a bit of a yo-yo club, up one season, down the next. There's many examples of self implosion in our long history.

We've no idea what's going to happen this season. Just need to see what kind of team/squad the new manager is able to put together before we can make any sort of assessment.

No small crumb of comfort, but the Buffs aren't the only club to find themselves in this predicament. With the exception of the likes of Talbot most clubs go through cycles.

Edited by funky monkey

23 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

Buffs have always been a bit of a yo-yo club, up one season, down the next. There's many examples of self implosion in our long history.

We've no idea what's going to happen this season. Just need to see what kind of team/squad the new manager is able to put together before we can make any sort of assessment.

No small crumb of comfort, but the Buffs aren't the only club to find themselves in this predicament. With the exception of the likes of Talbot most clubs go through cycles.

Why can Talbot sustain their success for so long from mid to late 80s right through to today? Never seem to ever be the big spenders and always find gem of players from divisions below. 

I fear the Buffs will be missing from the top flight for a number of years.