Kilwinning Rangers 24/25

A tough day for this new Buffs team yesterday. 

An excellent first half with two good goals from Lamont and Caldwell had us deservedly in front 2 1.

Second half we seemed to retreat into our shell and lost a couple of very poor goals to surrender all 3 points.

With a new team and several young players it's going to be an up and down kind of a season.

I'd like one tweak of the team and through time we'll not be a million miles away. We need a physical experienced centre half to anchor the team, to guide the defence when things get a wee bit tough. Does Mr Fabiani still have a pair of boots by any chance?

Post match interview the manager looks frustrated and it's obvious how much he cares, that'll do me.

Onwards and upwards COYB 🔵 ⚪ 🔵 ⚪ 

FB_IMG_1723978275483.jpg

I thought Cumbernauld won it, as opposed to us losing it.  We were good in the first half and deserved to go in ahead at half time.  Cumbernauld had a fair bit of the ball but didn't do much with it, and actually scored with their first real attempt on goal.

In the second half Cumbernauld changed shape, upped the tempo and the physicality and we couldn't cope with it.  We still tried to play football but we don't have much up front at the moment.  We are a bit lightweight in all honesty, I thought Rutherglen were a far stronger team than us and it was the same yesterday, our players look a bit fragile when the physical battles start. 

I've actually been quite impressed by the amount of football teams are playing at this level this season, everyone seems to be playing a passing game so far and it's been decent entertainment. Once the team clicks and gets used to each other I think we'll be fine.

Is Dylan Mackin still injured? He's been out the best part of a year now.

Edited by energyzone

1 hour ago, energyzone said:

I thought Cumbernauld won it, as opposed to us losing it.  We were good in the first half and deserved to go in ahead at half time.  Cumbernauld had a fair bit of the ball but didn't do much with it, and actually scored with their first real attempt on goal.

In the second half Cumbernauld changed shape, upped the tempo and the physicality and we couldn't cope with it.  We still tried to play football but we don't have much up front at the moment.  We are a bit lightweight in all honesty, I thought Rutherglen were a far stronger team than us and it was the same yesterday, our players look a bit fragile when the physical battles start. 

I've actually been quite impressed by the amount of football teams are playing at this level this season, everyone seems to be playing a passing game so far and it's been decent entertainment. Once the team clicks and gets used to each other I think we'll be fine.

Is Dylan Mackin still injured? He's been out the best part of a year now.

There's no question we are lightweight, lacking a physical presence.

As far as I know Dylan picked up an injury pre season, but is hoping to be back training in the next month.

6 hours ago, funky monkey said:

Does Mr Fabiani still have a pair of boots by any chance?

If only !  I still have the boots but unfortunately the legs don't connect with the brain anymore! I struggle with over 40s footballs that's how bad it is! 😂

It's going to take time for Kevin to get the blend right, he's had to bring in a lot of players in a short space of time and unfortunately playing games and having defeats like this is how he will learn about the squad and assess where he needs to strengthen. You learn more as a coach about the mentality attributes of your players in games like this than you do in a comfortable win. 

Edited by Fabi

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

Scottish Cup time again for Buffs.

A tough tie, does anyone give us a chance?

FB_IMG_1724919991972.jpg

At home I would yes, definitely a chance, away will be very difficult. Bo'ness Athletic have an excellent team and very good coaching staff who are usually meticulous in their research of opponents and then working out how to win.  I do think it will be a cracker of a game but Kilwinning shouldn't be afraid, they still have  a chance, the Buffs are really a new team and they are all gelling together and this game might be the start.  Good luck on Friday 

Thought Kilwinning did ok and looked pacey and had a lot of the ball first half - just couldn't really convert any of that into chances. Timing of goals just seemed to knock the stuffing out of you a bit.

1st goal was right at end of 1st half... and was a great strike. If you go in level at the break - totally different game. Then start of 2nd half, the penalty made it 2-0 and pretty much game over. 

Not seen any official crowd figure yet, but looked to be around the 400 mark.

4 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

Thought Kilwinning did ok and looked pacey and had a lot of the ball first half - just couldn't really convert any of that into chances. Timing of goals just seemed to knock the stuffing out of you a bit.

1st goal was right at end of 1st half... and was a great strike. If you go in level at the break - totally different game. Then start of 2nd half, the penalty made it 2-0 and pretty much game over. 

Not seen any official crowd figure yet, but looked to be around the 400 mark.

What was your take on the penalty decision? It looked very soft. Chap next to us was filming the game and played back the incident, looked very little in it. Definitely knocked the stuffing out of us, but credit to Boness they deserved to win the game.

1 hour ago, funky monkey said:

What was your take on the penalty decision? It looked very soft. Chap next to us was filming the game and played back the incident, looked very little in it. Definitely knocked the stuffing out of us, but credit to Boness they deserved to win the game.

It's one of these that I think you see given quite often these days. Good run by Nimmo at pace going into the box and don't think the defender had time to know what to do and caught him slightly. Definitely soft, but easy to see why it was given. I'd definitely have been shouting for it if it was my team.

18 hours ago, leaguereformer said:

Have KR had the worst fate since the WoS was formed? 

unsure when I could realistically see them back in the Prem.  seem mikes off it.  Another club with a good fan base just left to ruin by poor committed decisions.  

You're absolutely fixated on this constantly. Let it go 

In the glorious North Ayrshire sunshine, both teams gave their all on a fantastic pitch.

Buffs are a work in progress and lacking a consistent 90 minutes. Two excellent goals from Boylan and McLean were undone by a late lack in concentration and both teams had to settle for a draw.

Great to see Dylan Mackin back out on the pitch after a long injury lay off.

Onwards and upwards COYB 🔵 ⚪ 🔵 ⚪ 

FB_IMG_1725780889051.jpg

Edited by funky monkey

Manager is making a rod for his own back with these strange tactics.

Mid-nineties Barcelona we are not so if playing out from the back isn’t working, STOP!

A sad state of affairs that an equalising goal against Muirkirk to take us into extra time is celebrated like we’ve actually won the cup!

43 minutes ago, Peter Culter said:

Manager is making a rod for his own back with these strange tactics.

Mid-nineties Barcelona we are not so if playing out from the back isn’t working, STOP!

A sad state of affairs that an equalising goal against Muirkirk to take us into extra time is celebrated like we’ve actually won the cup!

We'd conceded in the 90th  odd minute and thought we were headed for the exit door and equalised seconds later that's reason to celebrate in anybodies book. Against a team that are flying so far this season