Explain your profile picture

Lofarl

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I assumed Granny Danger's one was about the no vote in 2014 getting 55%. If I'm wrong, fair enough, but that was my impression.

Blowing it up it's from a poll last August with 55% in favour of Scotland being an independent country. It's always confused me too.

53 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Mine is Kenny fucking Powers purely because I rewatched EB&D recently, duscussed it with some fellow Kenny fucking Powers aficianados on here, and felt a tribue was in order.

Previous to that it was Napoleon, owing to some chat about a potential alias named Napoleonardo.

I came in hammered last night and watched a bunch of videos on YouTube one of which was the Misbehavin bit from Gemstones. So good.

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Havent seen it but tbf i like paddy considine, dead mans shoes was a really good film. There was another of his that i left on to watch late at night a few months ago where he plays a boxer that gets brain damaged, pretty uneventful but still a strangely comfy film to watch.

Pride, imho, is an absolutely essential film for anyone who has even a passing interest in Gay Rights, the AIDS  "epidemic", the Miners' Strike, Thatcher's war against the people she was paid to serve, or the eighties in general. Genuinely, it's fucking brilliant. 

I would add that that it's one of a select few films which bring an actual tear to my eye - and, uniquely, not necessarily the same scene each time. The rendition of Bread and Roses, mind, has me going every time. 

ETA: In fact, I finish in a few minutes. I'm going to go home, take the boy for a walk, then settle down and re-watch it. At least that way I'll get a couple of hours of quality entertainment before firing up the iPlayer tonight. 

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

13 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I came in hammered last night and watched a bunch of videos on YouTube one of which was the Misbehavin bit from Gemstones. So good.

Misbehavin is a work of true genius. Going to put it on right now in fact. 

6 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Pride, imho, is an absolutely essential film for anyone who has even a passing interest in Gay Rights, the AIDS  "epidemic", the Miners' Strike, Thatcher's war against the people she was paid to serve, or the eighties in general. Genuinely, it's fucking brilliant. 

I would add that that it's one of a select few films which bring an actual tear to my eye - and, uniquely, not necessarily the same scene each time. The rendition of Bread and Roses, mind, has me going every time. 

Add to that And The Band Played On, starring Matthew Modine and Alan Alda amongst others. I've seen the film and read the book. Wonderfully powerful. 

6 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Not seen that. Consider it added to the list. 

Just had a look on imdb as I remember there being some other famous folk in the movie. There are indeed - Richard Gere, Anjelica Huston, Phil Collins, Ian McKellan, Donal Logue, Steve Martin, Lily Tomlin....

Proper cast, that. And Phil Collins.