Arbroath vs St Johnstone

Lichtie78

That was pretty gutting to go out after a great performance nothing between the teams and made worse with Saints 2nd goal from a corner which should've been a fee kick to us. When it went into extra time and Arbroath went 2-1 up we looked more likely to get another goals than Saints did especially the first half of it. Can't miss three pens though, the keeper didn't have to save any off them, all missing the target. Anyway good luck Saints in the next round.

1 hour ago, afc_36_0 said:

Zander Clark never got near any of our pens tbf, shame 3 were off target

1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Seemed a strange sub. 

Until last seasons game at Dens I'm fairly sure he'd never saved a penalty. 

He played a major part in getting us through league cup and Scottish Cup penalty shoot out wins last season.  He's obviously an intimidating presence in there as 3 Arbroath takers missed the target in an effort to avoid giving him a chance.

Was a good sub by Davidson, one of his better ones today.

28 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

No chance we're getting group stage European football Paulo. It's  the hope that kills you.

I think you’re probably right Tam, but there’s always a chance we sneak through somehow with this squad who have been brilliant at getting results when it matters.

In the event we did, I’d be really worried unless we rush out and get another 4-5 first team standard players.  You take a few key first team players out and the drop is significant.

I know teams can't always play to their best every week but if Arbroath can consistently produce performances like today add a bit of luck in their now and again they'll have another good season.  

Part time at that level must be difficult (says the guy who has no idea) but being organised like they seemed today will hopefully  allow them to play on the front foot even against the full time sides again.

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

1 minute ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I know teams can't always play to their best every week but if Arbroath can consistently produce performances like today add a bit of luck in their now and again they'll have another good season.  

Part time at that level must be difficult (says the guy who has no idea) but being organised like they seemed today will hopefully  allow them to play on the front foot even against the full time sides. 

On the other hand, we've played pretty well in our last 3 games and certainly not been 2nd best in any of the games, yet we've come away with 1 point and been eliminated from the cup. 

I just hope that the results start to come our way before the confidence wanes and the performances drop.

As for the game today, I think we saw the difference of a lower league team playing well and a Premier League team doing enough. St Johnstone never really got a foothold in the midfield but when they did get the ball, their front 3 caused us problems with good movement as well as running at our defence. We were a bit one-dimensional going forward at times but Nouble is very good at what he does, we just need to get bodies closer to him in support.

I think we were unlucky with the 2nd equaliser as we really should have had a free-kick when Rooney flattened Hamilton but there were a number of decisions from the ref that didn't really make sense and the only positive case you could make for the ref was that at least he wasn't biased.

Ultimately, you can't go into a penalty shootout, miss the target 3 times, and expect to win.

On the other hand, we've played pretty well in our last 3 games and certainly not been 2nd best in any of the games, yet we've come away with 1 point and been eliminated from the cup. 

I just hope that the results start to come our way before the confidence wanes and the performances drop.

As for the game today, I think we saw the difference of a lower league team playing well and a Premier League team doing enough. St Johnstone never really got a foothold in the midfield but when they did get the ball, their front 3 caused us problems with good movement as well as running at our defence. We were a bit one-dimensional going forward at times but Nouble is very good at what he does, we just need to get bodies closer to him in support.
I think we were unlucky with the 2nd equaliser as we really should have had a free-kick when Rooney flattened Hamilton but there were a number of decisions from the ref that didn't really make sense and the only positive case you could make for the ref was that at least he wasn't biased.

Ultimately, you can't go into a penalty shootout, miss the target 3 times, and expect to win.

I didn’t see the match. Did Hammy do a Hammy?

The referee had an absolute stinker. Can deal with refs who decide certain incidents are fouls/aren't fouls if they're at least consistent with it. Today just felt totally random.

8 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Likely to be "highlights" from the game?

There's some phone clips going about on Twitter, including one that shows Middletons shot off the bar crossed the line...

But f**k knows. There was a stream going about so it must've been filmed at least.

Looks a good goal. We have had a few similar in the past. Without goal line technology in place its always going to happen. I'd give the linesman the benefit here though. He was up with play as you can see him in line with the players. Almost impossible for him to give that at full speed when he's trying to check offside etc.

56 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

That was one of the few times we played a bit of football.

If I remember right, Rooney went on a run cutting through the middle of midfield, slid it to Hendry who did a neat backheel/flick to Middleton who controlled it and hit this peachy shot.