The BBC HYS comment section...

Ric

..does anyone bother reading this guff? It seems the BBC are keen to open Scottish stories up to the general public to comment on, while not doing so for similar rUK stories, meaning the gammony masses of our Southern cousins have open season to lie and insult Scotland while having next to no knowledge of how our politics work or even a basic grasp of the facts.

And sure, it's a comments section so what should I expect, but this sits on the BBC website and as such has a level of weight more than some random meme on a unionists Facebook.

Just recently I spent 20 minutes trying to "debate" one lunatic who was adamant that the Greens shouldn't have any say because they were elected via the List system. When it was explained that the Tories got 31 out of their 36 seats on the List system apparently that doesn't matter because "they are in power at Westminster". It seems democracy only suits some people if it works in their favour.

Another completely missed the fact a Green candidate become the presiding officer thus making Holyrood a tie by continuing to claim that the SNP are in the minority (they aren't) and that because combined votes of unionist parties make up 50.4% of the vote, SNP lost. Aside from this being just a general misunderstanding of how elections work, it assumes that the Liberals, Tories and Labour all work as a bloc.

it's an absolute cesspit of vitriolic and insulting language coupled with complete ignorance of the subject matter.

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I go on and pretend to be a unionist. Had great fun half an hour ago winding some guy up about the list system.

Keep doing it, it only helps the argument for independence.

21 minutes ago, Ric said:

..does anyone bother reading this guff? It seems the BBC are keen to open Scottish stories up to the general public to comment on, while not doing so for similar rUK stories, meaning the gammony masses of our Southern cousins have open season to lie and insult Scotland while having next to no knowledge of how our politics work or even a basic grasp of the facts.

And sure, it's a comments section so what should I expect, but this sits on the BBC website and as such has a level of weight more than some random meme on a unionists Facebook.

Just recently I spent 20 minutes trying to "debate" one lunatic who was adamant that the Greens shouldn't have any say because they were elected via the List system. When it was explained that the Tories got 31 out of their 36 seats on the List system apparently that doesn't matter because "they are in power at Westminster". It seems democracy only suits some people if it works in their favour.

Another completely missed the fact a Green candidate become the presiding officer thus making Holyrood a tie by continuing to claim that the SNP are in the minority (they aren't) and that because combined votes of unionist parties make up 50.4% of the vote, SNP lost. Aside from this being just a general misunderstanding of how elections work, it assumes that the Liberals, Tories and Labour all work as a bloc.

it's an absolute cesspit of vitriolic and insulting language coupled with complete ignorance of the subject matter.

Just don't read it. It's hugely right-wing. Not for the likes of you or I. I'm sure there are 50 or more goons at Tory HQ paid to just wind anybody who leans to the left up. Ignore it, you'll feel better.

1 minute ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Just don't read it. It's hugely right-wing. Not for the likes of you or I. I'm sure there are 50 or more goons at Tory HQ paid to just wind anybody who leans to the left up. Ignore it, you'll feel better.

I do avoid in general, just wondering if anyone on here "dabbles with the banter" on there.

It's just too tempting to point out the errors of the arguments put forward by unionists without a fucking clue (which, to be fair, is their default position).

45 minutes ago, Ric said:

i have an email address that is just one email under the other

''your comment was removed''

to the BBC, gammon is an offensive slur on a par with anything Jim Davidson & Bernard Manning got shit for.  

Comments sections are generally awful. Web 2.0 revealed who we are when we think nobody's watching, and it ain't pretty.

The BBC website is right down there with YouTube for shit nobody should want to read.

5 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Why get so wound up over people holding a different opinion to your own? 

It's not different opinions, it's factually incorrect claims coupled with insults aimed at Scotland.

Just now, Ric said:

Really? Come now, I would have thought it was obvious I knew you were joking. To claim a whoosh there needs to be a whoosh involved.

If this is a false whoosh, I apologise. 

Just over-excited as I whooshed oaksoft yesterday without intending it. Thought I was on a roll.

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Just over-excited as I whooshed oaksoft yesterday without intending it. Thought I was on a roll.

I feel bad, I sort of want it to be one now, especially if it improves someone's day.. ;)

11 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Comments sections are generally awful. Web 2.0 revealed who we are when we think nobody's watching, and it ain't pretty.

The BBC website is right down there with YouTube for shit nobody should want to read.

YouTube comments are an absolute Gold mine. 

I totally get the "the comments section of [xxxx] is toxic and more fool you for engaging with them", and it's a completely valid point. I just feel the BBC, considering their status, shouldn't be creating a vile little echo chamber promoting falsehoods and misinformation. I'm sure I'll get the "...but that's the BBC for you" responses but I'm also sure some will see where I'm coming from here.