Falkirk vs Goodwillie

7 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

All I said was I'd rather we still had gomis than miller.

Hopefully Williamson will be back soon as we don't really wanting to be playing the likes of queen's park with miller shoehorned into right back. Thought we were excellent today. Nesbitt is my kind if player. Heard he's really screwed the nut now and has changed his diet and everything. Great that we are the beneficiaries. He covered every blade of grass today. The big Albanian boy must be starting soon. Guy looks like a good few levels above Scottish League one.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Really good win there. Clyde's gameplan was pretty clear; defend deep, launch it to Goodwillie and hope for the best. To be fair to them we've seen it work a fair few times, get to 65 minutes or so and the crowd turns a bit then we concede a sickener late on. Today though we got the goal early enough in the 2nd half and they had absolutely nothing to change the game.
I thought we were taking a risk replacing Hetherington with Ross but we controlled the game from start to finish, would definitely start Krasniqi next week though where we should face more of a threat. Miller was fine at RB but he sticks out at being less comfortable with Sheerins system than the rest of the team.
It's amazing actually having a proper set up this season instead of just putting 11 players from the league above on the pitch and hoping for the best as we've seen for the past 2 years or so.

22 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

All I said was I'd rather we still had gomis than miller. He was okay today but as we saw against Airdrie he struggles against better quality opposition.  Team was excellent today especially second half. Nesbitt never stops running and is a joy to watch. Can't be long before the big Albanian gets a start too. He looks a good bit better than league one .

I’ll reply when I’ve recovered from fainting 👌

Today shows how little depth we have in the squad. Forced into a few changes due to injury & we are a significantly weaker team. 

Credit to falkirk though very impressed by them today. He didn’t lay a glove on them but the way they popped the ball about & some of the link up play was brilliant. That’s how I expected them to play when they first came down to league one. Got to be favourites to win the league!

Chicken Curry pie was incredible pre match though. Respect. 

25 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Sometimes you have bad days at the office, maybe a long season ahead for you lot but then your fight isn't against the likes of us, Queens Park, or any of the other protagonists trying to get out of this league. In Goodwillie you still have one of the best strikers in the lower leagues. He will get you goals and points as was proved last week. 

True, but more often than not Goodie goes a full game with next to no service nowadays. Don’t blame him for getting pissed off and looking disinterested. Then we bring Rob Jones on to partner him up front to top it all off for him…

We approached today wisely insofar as we set-up to frustrate Falkirk. And we did that well for about two-thirds of the game. There was good discipline in the shape and the decision to play Mortimer on his weaker side ahead of Docherty was a smart one given that Morrison would be the direct opponent for our left-back. Those are the only positives however.

As it was at Montrose, even with a shape and system meant to mitigate our weaknesses, we came undone because our weaknesses ran too deep. With Rumsby, Gomis and Nicoll in our side we'll rarely be able to hold out for ninety minutes against a team with a decent work-rate and a bit of creative nous about them. And against a full-time team on a big park with players like Morrison, Nesbitt and Telfer buzzing around the prospects are all the pooer for a clean sheet. From an approach point of view, the question then has to be: can we score first and/or score more than one so that we can take a point(s)? But with a crocked David Goodwillie, Ross Cunningham and Barry Cuddihy being our only hopes going forward you'd have to think not. Games playing out as they did against Alloa and Montrose will be the exception and not the rule, in other words.

Congratulations to Falkirk of course. You're as good a side as you have been since you were relegated from the Championship in my opinion. I thought Sheerin showed some wisdom today when he had Morrison push up and inside a little in the first-half. We were so deep that patience clearly wasn't going to reward Morrison and although that change in itself couldn't be tied to a breakthrough it shows that he knows when you're hitting a wall and won't wait to act. And in the second-half, having Morrison switch sides, getting your defenders to come right into our half, having more than one body occupying our central defenders and getting your midfielders closer in to Keena and Nesbitt; all of that seemed to me to be the right way to react to our stuffiness.

We need to sign more and better players if we don't want to get relegated. It's as simple as that.

27 minutes ago, BroadwoodBoy said:

Today shows how little depth we have in the squad. Forced into a few changes due to injury & we are a significantly weaker team. 

I can't say I agree with that view. I'm obviously not disputing that our squad is too thin but there were only 2 changes to the starting line up from the team that beat Alloa.

Splaine (presumably injured, but as normal we're not worthy of being told that) dropped out but was replaced by Cuddihy returning from suspension. They're different styles of player obviously but it's still one regular starter for another.

Livingstone went off injured last week and Mortimer was a better risk than Docherty, who would have been torn apart by Morrison. Considering Mortimer isn't good enough to be a right back at this level, he did a reasonable job covering left back (for the first hour at least).

We lost because we're miles off Falkirk in terms of quality, but we already knew that. It was nothing to do with a thin squad today.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

First twenty minutes we had our midfield three playing man-to-man with the Falkirk players and it was laughable. Nicoll was getting dragged half way down the park by Nesbitt and had no chance of going back the other way with him. Once we ditched that and played more zonal we defended better. Falkirk ended up moving players about constantly and I think they confused themselves a bit. 

It's obviously an awful view being stuck behind the goal but I couldn't see any foul at all with the Nicoll tackle that led to the first goal? Either way, to let Dixon stroll forward unopposed makes it the latest in a succession of genuinely embarrassing bits of defending. We are temporarily down to ten, we should be doing everything we can to show Falkirk out wide there. 

There is some amount of garbage in that squad but to think that Rumsby is still here is beyond a joke. That one is entirely on Lennon. Our first game in L1 he got caught on his heels by Dowds to cost us v East Fife and it's just been a succession of garbage bits of defending since. That nonsense today should be the final straw.

Never thought I'd be saying Billy Mortimer was MotM for Clyde but here we are. 

I don't expect us to beat Falkirk. However, that was pathetic today; that team wouldn't be anywhere near the top of League 2. I can only imagine how bad we'd be if the players weren't putting a bit of effort in.

Easy victory for Falkirk, some decent play too. Play more like that and someone is taking a tanking! 

I thought Gomis did quite well for Clyde, seems he’s realised or been telt, use your experience and don’t go running all over the park chasing lost causes and getting tired after an hour - However, Wanting him back when the White Patrick Viera is on the bench is madness. 

A couple more signings and we might have a strong squad to win this league.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Aye it was roles reversed today somewhat. Last few seasons we've been the team whose old plodder  midfield has been given the run around by young midfields at the likes of Clyde and Airdrie .

The big guy you brought on as a sub who’s on loan from Huddersfield looks a player.

5 hours ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Easy victory for Falkirk, some decent play too. Play more like that and someone is taking a tanking! 

I thought Gomis did quite well for Clyde, seems he’s realised or been telt, use your experience and don’t go running all over the park chasing lost causes and getting tired after an hour - However, Wanting him back when the White Patrick Viera is on the bench is madness. 

It's not so much wanting him back I just feel he's a far better footballer than miller still.

22 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's not so much wanting him back I just feel he's a far better footballer than miller still.

For us he was crisp bag chaser, whose  legs had gone. For clyde he was using his brain and ran when he needed too. 

Sheerin likes energy and movement Gomis doesn’t fit in with that. 

Miller isn’t a favourite of mine but he is versatile and in a small squad you need that. 

9 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I must've missed them opening up.🤔🤔

Clear to see they brought another striker on and it was their downfall to us adding goals, they could have held on longer and then tried to sneak an equaliser, the draw is what they came for. 

Clyde weren't more dangerous with the 2nd striker, for me just made it much more easier for us to penetrate giving us goals 2 and 3

8 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Hopefully Williamson will be back soon as we don't really wanting to be playing the likes of queen's park with miller shoehorned into right back. Thought we were excellent today. Nesbitt is my kind if player. Heard he's really screwed the nut now and has changed his diet and everything. Great that we are the beneficiaries. He covered every blade of grass today. The big Albanian boy must be starting soon. Guy looks like a good few levels above Scottish League one.

Shoehorn ?

Id guess Gary Miller has played more games at right back than any other position. His first game for is was there. 

The fact we were so soft in the middle gave him the move to central mid

6 hours ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Personally Gomis in a 5 man midfield who had zero intentions of getting forward was more the case yesterday. 

He showed his touches of class at times today and was still running about late into the game as he did with us. 

As said I'd have had no qualms if Gomis re-signed for one more season but he would have been a squad player, which Miller will be once Williamson is back.

10 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Do you often compare full backs with central midfielders ?

I await your I'd rather have Mikey Doyle than Charlie Telfer next week 

4 minutes ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

For us he was crisp bag chaser, whose  legs had gone. For clyde he was using his brain and ran when he needed too. 

Sheerin likes energy and movement Gomis doesn’t fit in with that. 

Miller isn’t a favourite of mine but he is versatile and in a small squad you need that. 

Harsh calling him a crisp bag chaser, we were clueless in central mid last season. I can't call Gomis an attacking or defending mid cause I don't think he is either. I initially thought he was a defensive one but realised he wasn't.

I hope Hetherington gets better but I'd choose Gomis over him as it stands, Hetherington for me has been poor in controlling the ball and simple passes 

As said, early days with Hetherington but I'd start the Albanian next week afore him 

4 hours ago, MrDust said:

Harsh calling him a crisp bag chaser, we were clueless in central mid last season. I can't call Gomis an attacking or defending mid cause I don't think he is either. I initially thought he was a defensive one but realised he wasn't.

I hope Hetherington gets better but I'd choose Gomis over him as it stands, Hetherington for me has been poor in controlling the ball and simple passes 

As said, early days with Hetherington but I'd start the Albanian next week afore him 

Gomis over hetherington is an awful shout. Minus last week I think hes done reasonably well.