The Stress Thread

I've been bothered with stress, anxiety, depression on and off for years. The last 2 years my life has been shit due to one thing or the next and my stress levels have been at an all time high. Having a bad day with stress today actually. Went to my Dad's grave and some low life p***k has stolen an ornament that was there. Saddened and deflated me tbh

Oh and Ayr U. Plenty of stress supporting them

My current stress is my son starting school. I find myself worrying about what he is up to. I have a younger daughter who keeps waking us all up at 5-5.30 so my son is totally shattered and can then act like a dobber. I think he is also acting up due to the whole change of going to school. In a class of 32, there are 28 of them who went to the nursery together and my son is one of the 4 that went to a different one so a bit of an unknown for him.

Added to that and we missed our holiday (which he had been looking forward to for months) because I caught covid. We did manage to get away for a couple of days once out of isolation but wasn’t the same.

In the grand scheme of life though, my worries are probably fairly minuscule. I do find that as your kids get older, your worries increase. Suspect it only gets worse

11 hours ago, TheBruce said:

Oh f**k. I can relate to that, but I prefer travelling with someone. Have travelled round the globe a hundred times no problem. Then one flight flying home from Vancouver, hit a thunder storm. Fucking roller coaster. Didn't think we'd live.  Arse collapsed. Panic attack and have never been able to shake it for the last fifteen years, White knuckle ride ever since. Done the valium and sleeping pills. Don't work, so I just shit myself from beginning to end, pretending I'm ok. The feeling of sheer ecstasy when we touch down and I become a tough guy again. lol.

I'll  be on a plane for the first time in over 2 years next week. I can feel the tension start to build. My wife says she noticed a difference in me on the valium. I just felt like I was screaming and crying on the inside rather than clinging to banisters and chairs refusing to move.

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'll  be on a plane for the first time in over 2 years next week. I can feel the tension start to build. My wife says she noticed a difference in me on the valium. I just felt like I was screaming and crying on the inside rather than clinging to banisters and chairs refusing to move.

Just try not to think of 9/11

51 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I've  got much older plane disasters to reference before I even get to that.

Yeah I suppose you have several hundred to chose from. I’d say the odds are still slightly in your favour of survival though.

11 minutes ago, Geebee said:

Sorry to hear that. 

I notice there are plenty of  interesting  posts here talking about what makes people stressed, but no mention of antidotes that people use to reduce stress.  ie.  "How to you deal with stress"  might be a more constructive question to ask. ..and there are a lot of time tested natural stress reduction tricks out there that work.   I'll PM you a few of my favourites if you like.

If gladly take that advice too.

Very little stresses me these days. Since my last relapse I’ve been doing a lot of things differently. I’m really enjoying the AA meetings I go to and making friends there, in therapy I’m finally dealing with a lot of issues I didn’t even know were there and affecting me, the reiki therapy is very chill and I’m just much happier being the real me finally.

Example, new school for me, started back this week, for a majority of the kids it’s their first time in the building ever and first time in-person at school for over a year. Lots of teachers stressing because all the plans and procedures aren’t going as detailed. Me? I’m just enjoying getting to know my students and working round any disruptions.

Even the fact that they screwed up my pay so I didn’t get paid yesterday was just a matter of being irritated that no one told me in advance. Once I found out and dealt with it I’m fine.

Recovery seems to be good for me [emoji1303]

6 hours ago, Geebee said:

Sorry to hear that. 

I notice there are plenty of  interesting  posts here talking about what makes people stressed, but no mention of antidotes that people use to reduce stress.  ie.  "How to you deal with stress"  might be a more constructive question to ask. ..and there are a lot of time tested natural stress reduction tricks out there that work.   I'll PM you a few of my favourites if you like.

That would be ideal. Cheers fella