Denmark v Scotland

The squad for the Denmark game has been named. Their team will play in a similar formation to Scotland adjusting from playing a 4-2-3-1 with Christian Eriksen to a 3-4-3 with an emphasis on their wing backs Joakim Maehle and Jens Stryger Larsen/Daniel Wass. 

image.thumb.png.1a50e63cc7e5fd67833b47c5ee746668.png

They haven't as it stands got any major injuries to their normal starting eleven Eriksen aside and they are likely to start the game with Scotland with a similar team to that which reached the semi finals of Euro 2020. 

Denmark.thumb.png.9df4a263b08c713103b983c35de8816f.png

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

I'm treating this as largely a free hit. Looking forward to seeing the boy Damsgaard again. Smashing prospect. 

Their whole team give me the fear actually. Braithwaite is superb too.

Back to us. I hope we treat this like the England game and get right into them 

1 hour ago, velo army said:

I'm treating this as largely a free hit. 

Totally agree with this. I hope the media don't paint this as a must win game or a must not lose game because even if we lose this match and end the night in fourth position in the table we are still in touching distance of Austria and Israel who will likely win their respective games versus Moldova and the Faroe Islands before they then go head to head in Haifa on Matchday 2.

Our 3rd game versus Austria is massive, however I don't think this round of qualifiers is going to decide how the group ends.

Edited by 2426255

On 26/08/2021 at 14:09, velo army said:

I'm treating this as largely a free hit. Looking forward to seeing the boy Damsgaard again. Smashing prospect. 

Their whole team give me the fear actually. Braithwaite is superb too.

Back to us. I hope we treat this like the England game and get right into them 

Braithwaite is a real tidy player indeed.

Unfortunately I think were going to get pummelled in this game 😪

Starting to worry that the injuries (and covid absences) are stacking up a bit. Armstrong out completely and McGinn already confirmed as out of the Denmark game. Taylor, Forrest and Patterson all missing today, the former two with injury and the latter self-isolating. That's on top of O'Donnell missing out for Motherwell yesterday and doubts about whether Robertson or Tierney can play all three games.

Definitely feels like we need to get another body or two into the squad.

26 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Starting to worry that the injuries (and covid absences) are stacking up a bit. Armstrong out completely and McGinn already confirmed as out of the Denmark game. Taylor, Forrest and Patterson all missing today, the former two with injury and the latter self-isolating. That's on top of O'Donnell missing out for Motherwell yesterday and doubts about whether Robertson or Tierney can play all three games.

Definitely feels like we need to get another body or two into the squad.

100% we need another right back, and we almost definitely need another left back (assume one of the two won’t play against Moldova)

Clarke needs a win against a decent side before the end of the year or his tea is oot. 

If he starts resting players for their clubs again then questions need to be asked. Strongest team every game. We went to our first tournament in 20 years and put out a lineup who had never played together before in every game then acted shock when settled teams like the Czechs and Croats made us look like mugs. 

55 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Clarke needs a win against a decent side before the end of the year or his tea is oot. 

If he starts resting players for their clubs again then questions need to be asked. Strongest team every game. We went to our first tournament in 20 years and put out a lineup who had never played together before in every game then acted shock when settled teams like the Czechs and Croats made us look like mugs. 

He literally just signed until 2024 so his tea won't be oot this year.  No chance.

I was going to pick a team with Forrest at RWB, (with Patterson out and O’Donnell not played) now it seems that they are both out - I think Ralston probably needs to be called up, him being good today helps with that. I’m sure St Johnstone fans will bemoan how shite he was for them, but things can change - after all many of have seen Rooney look out of his depth in league one with Dunfermline. Dykes isn’t causing these guys an issue aerially, so these is no point whatsoever in attempting to play like that. I’m also not sure who should replace the McGinn role - I guess McClean could play, the only other real options are Christie and Turnbull, neither were great today. 

Gordon 

Hendry    Hanley    Tierney 

Ralston                                            Robertson

McGregor    Gilmour 

Christie   Fraser 

Adams 

There's a lot of speculation, but as it stands currently all we can say is Stuart Armstrong has dropped out of the squad. John McGinn is out for the Denmark game and there is some uncertainty around Greg Taylor, James Forrest, Nathan Patterson and Stephen O'Donnell.  We just have to wait and see until we have more information.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

This doesn't make a lick of sense. Croatia played Gvardiol in every game, and he had only one cap before the tournament, so clearly their team hadn't played together before either. I'm not convinced the Czechs would have played together either since their first choice centre-back was out on account of being a horrible racist.

The main reason our team hadn't played together before was that Jack was injured for the tournament, Tierney missed the first game and Gilmour burst on to the scene.

Squad rotation happens at club level too, it's about picking players at their freshest and also giving everyone a chance to prove themselves. The likes of Ferguson, Turnbull and Patterson need to get an opportunity at some point.

If no one gets called up today, we'll probably just go with what we've got for the Denmark game? If so, I'd play:

Gordon
Hendry Hanley Tierney
Fraser Ferguson Gilmour McGregor Robertson
Adams Christie

Big/stupid call putting Ferguson in there, but I wanted Christie up front and don't trust Turnbull in this game. While that midfield isn't giving you much in attack, Ferguson would provide more than McLean who's quite similar to the other two.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Clarke go with players who know the system and their role in it given the lack of time before the first game, so could see either Dykes or McLean coming in for Ferguson. I also wonder if he'd rather have Hendry's pace behind Fraser (obviously a less defensive-minded option than we're used to) or Hanley's more natural defensive ability, plus we all learned over the summer that he's surprisingly quick. Personally, I'd keep Hanley in the middle of the three at all costs but I'm not sure if Clarke will see it that way.