Kanye West changes name

1 hour ago, JMDP said:

A 6 week course to produce the type of music Kanye does is one of the wildest takes I've seen on here. I'm looking forward to being to write Revolver or Is this it after a couple of guitar lessons. 

Aye, that's exactly what was meant.

I'll politely bow out here as clearly I'm missing something about Mr Ye. The most influential musician of the century, amazing. 

A genius if he's managed to sell them, the top shoe in particular I bet cost pennies to make and I'm sure it's $100+ to buy.
Times that $100 by five or six.

5 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I’m a big fan of many musical genres and go to a fair amount of gigs. I’ve been known to enjoy a variety of rap groups and solo artists, but couldn’t name one single Kanye west song, or recognise a song if I heard it.

Am I just old now?

I was in that boat until I recently found out that I'd heard Black Skinhead on a million adverts and in films.

It's shite, but I'm willing to believe that he must have done a lot of good stuff that I've just never been exposed to.

17 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I’m a big fan of many musical genres and go to a fair amount of gigs. I’ve been known to enjoy a variety of rap groups and solo artists, but couldn’t name one single Kanye west song, or recognise a song if I heard it.

Am I just old now?

I'm 38 and this thread might as well be in Arabic 

20 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Am I just old now?

If you've never heard this you're probably deaf

40 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Am I just old now?

Same here.

A 6 week course to produce the type of music Kanye does is one of the wildest takes I've seen on here. I'm looking forward to being to write Revolver or Is this it after a couple of guitar lessons. 
I think Kanye is probably the most influential musician of this century for a lot of the reasons [mention=58552]SANTAN[/mention] put above. Every album is brilliant in it's own right and his catalogue overall stacks up against anyone else IMO.
His debut was groundbreaking (nothing like Jesus Walks was getting made when he dropped it), 808's went against the grain of everything else produced at the time and MBDTF is a masterpiece. In terms of lyrics, he might not have the lyrical dexterity of someone like Wretch, but there are some amazing examples of great stuff (the sweetness of Hey Mama, honesty of Runaway, wordplay on Gone etc).
The other main thing about him, I think is quite overlooked is his ability to bring the best out of others - Nicki Minaj on Monster, Chance on Ultralight Beam, Cam'Ron and Consequence on Gone, Pusha T on Runaway. His drive and work ethic pushed those around him to better things. 
I know it's not for everyone but I think it's hard to deny his genius and influence. 

I remember Clive Martin saying during Kanye’s Glasto set “yeah you can object to him but who’s a bigger rockstar than him at this point? His competition are all ageing rockstars and beige white Tories” and that’s how I feel. A ton of the criticisms are valid but he has a ton of hits and is largely an artist who’s free of corporate influence that’s disappointingly rare for someone of that magnitude in the modern music industry.

Is it not more just the case that if you’re a marketable asset like Kanye is your record label is going to invest more time in you and assign the best producers going etc.

I can confidently say from reading interviews with people like Hudson Mohawke (Pollokshields born and raised) that Kanye collates and sources the producers for his albums. People like Pusha and Chief Keef have also shouted him out for sourcing them out to feature on his album. I think Nicki Minaj whose best verse is on a Kanye track (Monster) was approached by Kanye.

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

If you've never heard this you're probably deaf

That was him? A fucking awful cover of Daft Punk?  :lol:

Fair play to him for making money out of that.