VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Why would the SFA have any say in an SPFL competition (other than club registration rules)?

They also provide the referees,  so could in theory tell the SPFL they can’t have VAR as they don’t have enough (trained) refs for it.   I believe we only have something like 2 refs trained on using the system.

Can’t see them doing that tho.

On 22/02/2022 at 19:58, santheman said:

I don't mean every club would need to install it but if UEFA did introduce it for the European competitions the teams from our League who normally qualify would have to comply so you have the situation where some teams would have it and others don't.

Wouldn't be a major problem I suppose but something to consider, especially all the conspiracy theorists.

Not really a fan of it in its present form.

Do you really think that the system used for VAR is permanently installed at grounds? It’s the same as when Sky cover matches at various grounds. They come in, install the equipment, cover the match, take all the equipment away again, and it’s as if they’ve never been there.

8 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Do you really think that the system used for VAR is permanently installed at grounds? It’s the same as when Sky cover matches at various grounds. They come in, install the equipment, cover the match, take all the equipment away again, and it’s as if they’ve never been there.

See below 

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I doubt that's entirely true, I'd imagine a load of the infrastructure remains on site.

The tv companies bring a lot of infrastructure week to week but they certainly require a lot permanent things being in place beforehand. When the expected infrastructure isn’t in place they at times pay a lowered fee to televise games 

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

See below 

The tv companies bring a lot of infrastructure week to week but they certainly require a lot permanent things being in place beforehand. When the expected infrastructure isn’t in place they at times pay a lowered fee to televise games 

Ok, but I was specifically getting at santheman who was intimating  that somehow some teams would have it and some wouldn’t. If the VAR system comes into this country, heaven forbid, either everyone has it or everyone doesn’t. Just because Celtic and Rangers have had the VAR system in place for their European games does not mean that they “have it”.

I don't see why it wouldn't be permanently left there. It would make sense to have the cameras fitted on place at the exact positions at each ground that give the same angles. Just plug them in.

I would say the fact that each var camera would have to be set the same to enable the same angles etc they may be set permanently and just plugged in on requirement to a hard drive or similar. A tv gantry will change with the structure of a stadium. Var is I'd expect need to be consistent through each ground with the same camera angles on view to a referee. That's why we can't rely on TV cameras as a less important match may have less cameras in use.

The consistency of Scottish Referees getting game-changing decisions wrong cannot be a coincidence. Is it only me who thinks this is a concerted agenda by the refs to force the introduction of VAR into Scottish Football? They all seem to be decisions that could easily be overturned by VAR, so why are people focussing on their own club’s and not making the obvious conclusion?

The consistency of Scottish Referees getting game-changing decisions wrong cannot be a coincidence. Is it only me who thinks this is a concerted agenda by the refs to force the introduction of VAR into Scottish Football? They all seem to be decisions that could easily be overturned by VAR, so why are people focussing on their own club’s and not making the obvious conclusion?

The only actual difference here is whiny bores going on the TV to demand VAR after every borderline decision. There have always been bad decisions, there will always be bad decisions.

7 hours ago, bennett said:

Since celtic strongly believe in sporting integrity and the true Corinthian spirit of the game they could donate some of their champions league money to fund the introduction of VAR. 

Celtic are the biggest opponents of introducing VAR for very obvious reason! 

16 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Scottish refs getting decisions wrong is simply because the standard of Scottish refs is appalling. 

I think you’d be absolutely mental to not only want VAR in Scotland but to think that it would be used properly here as well. You only need to look down south at “the best league in the world” and they aren’t even getting it right. The decision going against Rangers in the Europa League midweek as well comes to mind. The top referees are getting it wrong in elite competitions with a system that, some would have it, is supposed to solve all of our problems. Now imagine that system being utilised in the Scottish Premiership. Guaranteed it would be a horrific shambles. VAR was, as far as I understand it, brought in to make decisions on clear and obvious errors. It isn’t being used that way though, it’s being used to a tedious degree - sometimes analysing things from every angle for nearly 5 minutes. Offsides being given because the players foot was millimetres offside. Handballs being given with pretty much zero leeway. It just sucks the enjoyment out of the game for me. I absolutely do not trust Scottish referees to use VAR properly and we should avoid bringing it in until UEFA actually forces us to introduce it. In the meantime, instead of investing in VAR we can start trying to simply improve the standard of refereeing in this country.

20 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The only actual difference here is whiny bores going on the TV to demand VAR after every borderline decision. There have always been bad decisions, there will always be bad decisions.

The only other league I watch is the Italian league and it can be very tedious when they stop every 15 mins so the ref can go look at a screen cos it's moaned about constantly.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I think you’d be absolutely mental to not only want VAR in Scotland but to think that it would be used properly here as well. You only need to look down south at “the best league in the world” and they aren’t even getting it right. The decision going against Rangers in the Europa League midweek as well comes to mind. The top referees are getting it wrong in elite competitions with a system that, some would have it, is supposed to solve all of our problems. Now imagine that system being utilised in the Scottish Premiership. Guaranteed it would be a horrific shambles. VAR was, as far as I understand it, brought in to make decisions on clear and obvious errors. It isn’t being used that way though, it’s being used to a tedious degree - sometimes analysing things from every angle for nearly 5 minutes. Offsides being given because the players foot was millimetres offside. Handballs being given with pretty much zero leeway. It just sucks the enjoyment out of the game for me. I absolutely do not trust Scottish referees to use VAR properly and we should avoid bringing it in until UEFA actually forces us to introduce it. In the meantime, instead of investing in VAR we can start trying to simply improve the standard of refereeing in this country.

If anyone is part of the tinfoil hat club (as many in both camps of the OF are) there is no way VAR solves anything.

23 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

They must've been ahead of their time then, even before VAR was invented they were doing that.