VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

It's the poundland version we're getting for games not on telly (not v Celtic or Rangers basically) that concerns me.

I cant remember how many cameras our league is going to use for it but it’s actually above the bare minimum needed which comes as a surprise.

7 minutes ago, stressball said:

I cant remember how many cameras our league is going to use for it but it’s actually above the bare minimum needed which comes as a surprise.

Non televised games are getting 6 (what has been described to me as) wee go pros

VAR will make its debut in the Scottish Premiership next week when Hibs face St Johnstone at Easter Road.

And they are now ready to kick it off in all six top-flight fixtures on the weekend of October 21 and 22.

Hibs and St Johnstone will make history by using VAR when they meet on Friday, October 21 at 7.30pm.

The first televised use of the system will be at Hearts' home clash with Premiership leaders Celtic on Saturday, October 22, at 12.30pm.

All four 3pm kick-offs that day - Kilmarnock v Ross County, Motherwell v Aberdeen, Rangers v Livingston and St Mirren v Dundee United - will also use VAR.
And it will be in play from then on, with the league breaking from November 12 to December 15 for the World Cup.

It's understood the SFA and SPFL will confirm details of its introduction in the next 24 hours - and it's been backed by the refs.

The officiating teams for the six Premiership games on October 21 and 22 have yet to be publicly announced by the SFA.

The normal team of ref, two assistants and a fourth official will now be enhanced by a VAR using the new technology to help get decisions right.

30 minutes ago, stressball said:

The minimum is 4 - main wide, main tight (close-ups), and 2 cameras for assessing offside (almost always 18-yard cameras).

Most non-live Premiership games already had 4 cameras, but none that could be used for offside. So those are being added (and are already being used, as seen on Sportscene) to bring it up to 6. 

The Alba game will have 7 cameras (which, incidentally, they seem to be using for their live games now as well if the two Scotland Women's games recently are anything to go by). 

Edited by The Master

It's the pig headed nature of some of our refs that will be the issue and also the make up of the ref/var combo.

Using Utd's pen they got against us on Saturday. Ok I'm biased but I think most would agree that it was very soft and almost certainly not a pen. Now if it's an inexperienced Ref in the VAR room are they really going to suggest that one of our most experienced refs has fucked it? And even if they do make that call, is Collum going to be able to turn round, put up his hands and say that he himself fucked it. 

Whereas, if Collum is the VAR then he will 100% want to be involved as often as he can and will end up reffing the game himself, particularly if it's on the Tele. 

Other example would be the one that Rangers got on Saturday at Ibrox, can't really see Penalty to Rangers becoming not penalty to Rangers. 

There are so many things that are going to be utterly utterly dreadful about the implementation of VAR in Scotland but once it's here, that's it, I'm afraid. If there are var interventions all over the place in the 1st few weeks, goals chopped off everywhere and the match going fan experience worsens (from already terrible), then it might be it for me. 

So my experience of watching Hibs vs St Johnstone is going to be fundamentally altered* because some sad, divorced f**k from Ayrshire can't accept that the beloved Rangers/Celtic he watches from his sofa don't win 100% of the time? :lol:

*"There might not even be a VAR check". Doesn't matter, now that I know a Hibs goal can be chalked out for anything up to (potentially) five minutes after the ball has hit the net, the enthusiasm has gone.