Edinburgh - what is wrong with the place?

2 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Unless you want to see a shit pop star at the Castle or some crappy top division indie jobbers at the Corn Exchange (hello The Snuts) Edinburgh has a shite live music scene, but it wasn't always like this. As @tamthebam pointed out The Venue, Cas Rock and Calton Studios were all brilliant venues on a par with the likes of King Tut's  and Broadcast in Glasgow. All 3 fucked by the developer's grubby paw. Now all Edinburgh has is Sneaky Pete's with it's annoyingly placed pillars and Bannermans, where they play both kinds of music, punk and grebo. I saw so many great small gigs in Edinburgh in the early 90's but sadly those days wont be back for today's kids.

Can I add to this:
- The Tap o' Lauriston
- Cafe Grafitti
- Bongo Club (when it was on New Street behind the Station, NOT the shit version in Moray House)

Losing Cas Rock and the Studios was a disgrace, but I felt what happened with The Venue bordered on criminal. Some nights like Derrick Carter and Sneak at Tribal Funktion still give me happy memories. Everyone goes on about Pure, but it was less my thing. To compare with Glasgow, it felt a bit more like going to The Arches when you actually wanted to go to the Sub.
The other great thing about Tribal Funktion was that you could pop upstairs for Hip-Hop at Scratch if you fancied coming down a bit. It was an amazing place and I'm still gutted about the way it ended.

Clubbing in Scotland in the 90s - early 2000s was a lovely thing tbh. It's not that surprising that when all those clubs in Edinburgh closed down I started coming through to the Subby every weekend and eventually moved to Glasgow.
Having a comfortable happy space to go where there's never any shit to put up with shouldn't be too much to ask. Although... last I saw (years ago, I am over 40 now) the Sub wasn't what it used to be, and Berkeley Suite / Yellow Door is the nicest night in Glasgow now, and has been about 5 years. 

Edited by milton75

2 minutes ago, milton75 said:

Can I add to this:
- The Tap o' Lauriston
- Cafe Grafitti
- Bongo Club (when it was on New Street behind the Station, NOT the shit version in Moray House)

Cas Rock and the Studios were both a disgrace, but I felt what happened with The Venue bordered on criminal. Some nights like Derrick Carter and Sneak at Tribal Funktion still give me happy memories. Everyone goes on about Pure, but it was less my thing. To compare with Glasgow, it felt a bit more like going to The Arches when you actually wanted to go to the Sub.
The other great thing about Tribal Funktion was that you could pop upstairs for Hip-Hop at Scratch if you fancied coming down a bit. It was an amazing place and I'm still gutted about the way it ended.

Clubbing in Scotland in the 90s - early 2000s was a lovely thing tbh. It's not that surprising that when all those clubs in Edinburgh closed down I started coming through to the Subby every weekend and eventually moved to Glasgow.
Having a comfortable happy space to go where there's never any shit to put up with shouldn't be too much to ask. Although... last I saw (years ago, I am over 40 now) the Sub wasn't what it used to be, and Berkeley Suite / Yellow Door is the nicest night in Glasgow now, and has been about 5 years. 

Both were a little grubby around the edges but I think disgrace is taking things a bit far. Cas Rock played host to Mogwai's first gig outside of Glasgow which was a truly religious experience and seeing Nirvana in Calton Studios was amazing. It is true that the floor of the Studio was horribly sticky at club nights but I'm willing to let that go. The Tap was much more horrible than either Cas or Calton. It reeked of a thousand Mission gigs. I moved away from  Edinburgh some time ago but I still miss the Venue.  Some great nights in that place. 

This seems as good a thread as any to ask for Edinburgh pub recommendations that are a) not a significant trek from Waverley or Haymarket as opposed to just knowing where to look and b) not tourist trap shiteholes verging on London prices.

12 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

This seems as good a thread as any to ask for Edinburgh pub recommendations that are a) not a significant trek from Waverley or Haymarket as opposed to just knowing where to look and b) not tourist trap shiteholes verging on London prices.

Depends what you're after and what you consider a significant trek.

The Windsor Buffet on Leith Walk has real ales. The Cask and Barrel at the bottom of Broughton Street also does a nice pint.

The Bow Bar in Victoria Street is small but again a nice pint. I've also been known to drink in Jingling Geordies, The Guildford, The Advocate but you might find them pricey. You won't find many tourists in Mathers in Queensferry Street, it's a bit of a working man's pub.

I don't know as I'm used to paying Edinburgh prices and the cheaper boozers are away from the City centre.

5 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Unless you want to see a shit pop star at the Castle or some crappy top division indie jobbers at the Corn Exchange (hello The Snuts) Edinburgh has a shite live music scene, but it wasn't always like this. As @tamthebam pointed out The Venue, Cas Rock and Calton Studios were all brilliant venues on a par with the likes of King Tut's  and Broadcast in Glasgow. All 3 fucked by the developer's grubby paw. Now all Edinburgh has is Sneaky Pete's with it's annoyingly placed pillars and Bannermans, where they play both kinds of music, punk and grebo. I saw so many great small gigs in Edinburgh in the early 90's but sadly those days wont be back for today's kids.

Is bannermans badly placed?  Comfortable walk from Waverley and on the cowgate so easy access for other pubs.

Otherwise I agree.

I hope the edinburgh music scene gets a kick up the arse it needs with corn exchange becoming a 02 academy. But then I thought the liquid rooms reopening would have done the same.

There is no reason edinburgh can't have a strong music scene, its got a good range of venues if used right and a youngish population with reasonable access from nearby towns. Just needs to sort itself out.

Edited by parsforlife

8 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

When I worked in Cockburn St, my two favourites were the Halfway House, a tiny wee picturesque pub on the Scotsmans Steps and the Jinglin' Geordie right next door which was George Best's hangout when he drank for Hibs. On Rose St, I took to frequenting the grubbiest pub in the street, Robertson's Bar which is probably the last old man's pub in Rose St and run by nice, friendly Polish lasses. Down in Leith, The Tourmalet is a nice, quiet wee pub back off the main strip and handily placed if you are walking down to Easter Road from the centre. If you're going to Tynie then I would suggest The Diggers as all the pubs on Gorgie Road are terrible.

If you're looking for decent music pubs Whistle Binkies, Bannermans and Stramash are all within 5 minutes of each other or if you're heading the other way towards George Street, The Black Rose is decent.

On 03/10/2021 at 09:11, BallochSonsFan said:

I dislike Edinburgh immensely.

It doesnt really have much that's definitively Edinburgh, other than the watered down Gold Star that they spray on the chips - and even then that's made on the outskirts of Glasgow. You look at Dundee getting the V&A and seeing the waterfront redeveloped and think that its a city thats improving. 

You make some fair points amid the hyperbole.

I had a good smirk at this bit - nothing more definitively Dundee than that outpost of a London museum.

8 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

When I worked in Cockburn St, my two favourites were the Halfway House, a tiny wee picturesque pub on the Scotsmans Steps and the Jinglin' Geordie right next door which was George Best's hangout when he drank for Hibs. On Rose St, I took to frequenting the grubbiest pub in the street, Robertson's Bar which is probably the last old man's pub in Rose St and run by nice, friendly Polish lasses. Down in Leith, The Tourmalet is a nice, quiet wee pub back off the main strip and handily placed if you are walking down to Easter Road from the centre. If you're going to Tynie then I would suggest The Diggers as all the pubs on Gorgie Road are terrible.

Just along from the Tourmalet is Robbie's Bar, an old fashioned Leith Walk pub.  Most of the other pubs on Leith Walk are now craft beer gentrified or have been closed and turned into tapas bars etc.  Tourmalet is nice though and has a good selection of beers if you like that.  Robbie's is old school though.

The Diggers is another classic - if you go just up and round the corner The Golden Rule is also good.

My favourite story about shite Gorgie Road pubs is about Stratfords.  The day of Princes Diana's funeral the landlord stuck a note to the door saying "To mark the tragic passing of Pirncess DIana, please note the pub will be opening at 0930 on Saturday, rather than 0900". :lol: 

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Just along from the Tourmalet is Robbie's Bar, an old fashioned Leith Walk pub.  Most of the other pubs on Leith Walk are now craft beer gentrified or have been closed and turned into tapas bars etc.  Tourmalet is nice though and has a good selection of beers if you like that.  Robbie's is old school though.

The Diggers is another classic - if you go just up and round the corner The Golden Rule is also good.

My favourite story about shite Gorgie Road pubs is about Stratfords.  The day of Princes Diana's funeral the landlord stuck a note to the door saying "To mark the tragic passing of Pirncess DIana, please note the pub will be opening at 0930 on Saturday, rather than 0900". :lol: 

Ooft. Straties is as rough as a badgers arse. 

49 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Robbie's and Diggers are great pubs.

2 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Did you work in Whiplash Trash? 

Basically are you the large breasted lass who squeezed into PVC every day for work? 😍

We're talking at least 20 years but possibly up to 30 years ago but given you're talking George Best era, it's not impossible you'll know what the f**k I'm on about.

ps. I've been to all the HMHB gigs at the Liquid Room and also saw Julian Cope, SLF and Prince Buster there. Always liked that venue.

Edited by Suspect Device

13 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Both were a little grubby around the edges but I think disgrace is taking things a bit far. Cas Rock played host to Mogwai's first gig outside of Glasgow which was a truly religious experience and seeing Nirvana in Calton Studios was amazing. It is true that the floor of the Studio was horribly sticky at club nights but I'm willing to let that go. The Tap was much more horrible than either Cas or Calton. It reeked of a thousand Mission gigs. I moved away from  Edinburgh some time ago but I still miss the Venue.  Some great nights in that place. 

😂 I think you replied before I realised the way my post was warded and edited it:

"Cas Rock and the Studios were both a disgrace, but I felt what happened with The Venue bordered on criminal."

Became:

"Losing Cas Rock and the Studios was a disgrace, but I felt what happened with The Venue bordered on criminal."

Slightly different meaning.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

Basically are you the large breasted lass who squeezed into PVC every day for work? 😍

We're talking at least 20 years but possibly up to 30 years ago but given you're talking George Best era, it's not impossible you'll know what the f**k I'm on about.

ps. I've been to all the HMHB gigs at the Liquid Room and also saw Julian Cope, SLF and Prince Buster there. Always liked that venue.

I remember her. She must be at least 60 by now. Possibly still a wid. 

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

Ha ha, I remember that lass. No, I was a Fopp worker of many years. Thankfully my breasts are considerably smaller than hers.