Edinburgh - what is wrong with the place?

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Aberdeen though. I’m convinced an Aberdonian could show me around, the way I could show someone around Paisley, but, just turning up as a visitor, what a fcuking miserable looking place it is. Instantly brings your mood down just walking around its centre.

Really don't understand why people from the central belt go to Aberdeen, unless for work or football. Takes ages to get there, and it's worse than where you've come from. Like someone from London going out their way to visit Norwich.

10 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Really don't understand why people from the central belt go to Aberdeen, unless for work or football. Takes ages to get there, and it's worse than where you've come from. Like someone from London going out their way to visit Norwich.

Most people in London never go out of their way to visit Norwich. Nor do most of them ever visit places like Manchester, Glasgow, Leeds or Newcastle unless they have to. I think that's actually part of the problem we have in the UK.

I like going to random places in Scotland just to see if they are actually how I had previously perceived them to be.

Can we not just agree that both places are shiteholes for very different reasons. But one thing that makes Edinburgh residents absolute wrong yins is the insistence on putting watery brown sauce over perfectly good chips. One good thing that Edinburgh has going for it is The Kitchin which is my favourite restaurant. One thing that makes Glasgow shite is the infestation of sectarianism whereby everyone gets tarred with the same brush, I also hate the fact that everyone assumes everyone from Glasgow is either a rangers or celtic fan, even abroad ‘where are you from?’ ‘glasgow? Are you celtic or Rangers?’ f**k off mate ive got taste. One nice thing about Glasgow is the emerging food scene in and around Finneston and the Southside. 

2 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

That's Glasgow for you....always been the same. Neds, Bigots & Litter.  Which, incidentally, was a proposed but unused title for Hue & Cry's 2nd album.

Throw in puddles and abandoned furniture and that's pretty much my impression of Glasgow too.

Aberdeen is misunderstood by many, but we are used to that - plus if you include the coastal and inland hinterlands there’s plenty to see and do.

When I head the 2.5 hours (ages as you deem it) into the central belt - there are very few parts of it that cry out “I really must spend more time here”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Bob Mahelp

We were in Edinburgh last week for the first time in ages. What a run down, 3rd world shithole of a place Princes Street is. What should be one of Europe's most iconic thoroughfares is filled with empty shops, tartan tat, crap awful 99p chain stores and more buses per square metre than any place else in the world. 

Don't even get me started on the Royal Mile. 

There's literally decades of hopeless mismanagement of what is a historically unique city. Awful. 

7 hours ago, sparky88 said:

Four of us went to Aberdeen for an overnighter simply because, other than for football, we’d never been. Me, my mate, and our good ladies. Booked a Travelodge in town, and the brief was pretty simple - walk around the town during the day, go for a nice Italian or Chinese, hit a city centre bar, retire to the hotel for a nightcap. Now, to be fair, we did enjoy a ‘studenty’ bar in Aberdeen, can’t remember the name, but it was a bit ‘goth’, was maybe a church back in the day, played good rock music, and felt like we were drinking in the album sleeve of Ozzy Osbourne’s ‘Diary of a Madman’. That was good fun. However, we found the city centre to be a grey depressing place to be.

We don’t, for example, find Dundee to be a depressing place. Dundonians will have to remind me, but there’s a restaurant down by the Tay that was an old railway carriage - that was good, and also a good area to stroll around watching the sun set over the ‘silvery Tay’. Just one part of Dundee, but it was pleasant to be there. As is the V&A area and waterfront. I think there’s a good feel to Dundee as a visitor.

As I said in an earlier post, an Aberdonian could show me around and it would no doubt be very enlightening, but just as a casual visitor, not my favourite place. No offence intended as I really try to enjoy everywhere I go in my own country. 

Edit… on the whole though, Scotland is fcuking brilliant. Yes, we have our issues, our faults, but by Christ, look at the size of us and what we have. Utterly amazing country. 

Edited by pozbaird