Insulate Britain

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

So essentially just pretend they didn’t block any motorways and continue on with the ludicrous ‘just turn around and go the other way’ suggestion. No worries.

If you want to just pretend that these people don’t exist that’s your choice. It’s an incredibly Tory stance to take, but crack on.

There's very obviously a difference between pretending that the caricature you've created doesn't exist and pretending that they are representative, hence why I mentioned the fact you had used 4 caveats to answer a general question. You'll have to explain why that's a Tory stance but I get that's just a go to.

Of course worker's rights in this country should be far stronger to the point that being unable to attend work due to e.g. a protest disrupting travel should mean no loss of earnings. But unfortunately that's not possible because as demonstrated through this very case and conversation no one can try to make an obviously positive change through direct action in this country without someone going "ehmmm have you thought of this specific guy I've just thought of and his problems, because it's pretty problematic if not"; that's if they're not actively assaulting those trying to bring about that change. So there we are. 

31 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

OK. One two occasions out of forty protests people couldn't turn round. I'll make sure to say a prayer for those who were an hour late to work that day. 

Actually make this three. Even tho' it's not a motorway any disruption to the Blackwall Tunnell is just mean... bordering on a war crime

2 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

There's very obviously a difference between pretending that the caricature you've created doesn't exist and pretending that they are representative, hence why I mentioned the fact you had used 4 caveats to answer a general question. You'll have to explain why that's a Tory stance but I get that's just a go to.

Of course worker's rights in this country should be far stronger to the point that being unable to attend work due to e.g. a protest disrupting travel should mean no loss of earnings. But unfortunately that's not possible because as demonstrated through this very case and conversation no one can try to make an obviously positive change through direct action in this country without someone going "ehmmm have you thought of this specific guy I've just thought of and his problems, because it's pretty problematic if not"; that's if they're not actively assaulting those trying to bring about that change. So there we are. 

The French blockade their roads on a regular basis whenever farmers or any other section of their society fancies having a go at the government. They're on their fifth republic and maintain social and political rights while the UK has placidly accepted having the exact same club of upper-class freakshows fucking them over on and off since the 1700s. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

To give examples from both extremes:

Plenty of managers/chairmen have left clubs due to fan protests.

Mohammed Bouazizi brought down three governments.

Also, if people were shitting on shop floors in a coordinated manner on a large scale that wouldn't be something which affects society?

There are plenty of legitimate targets for IB to disrupt rather than resorting to random sections of the public.

Fan protests are generally disruptive to the operations of the football club. 

The c**t set himself on fire and started a revolution. I'm not sure IB have any lessons to learn there, they don't want revolution they want loft insulation. 

What would you suggest they do, other than shit on the floor of every Sainsburys in the land?

Fan protests are generally disruptive to the operations of the football club. 
The c**t set himself on fire and started a revolution. I'm not sure IB have any lessons to learn there, they don't want revolution they want loft insulation. 
What would you suggest they do, other than shit on the floor of every Sainsburys in the land?
Shit on the floor at every Asda?

5 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I don’t know.

Maybe, but lots of things could inconvenience emergency vehicles so I don’t see why they should be singled out. 

I think they’re trying to make the point that climate change is disruptive. Should they be advertising to everyone which roads they’ll be blocking ahead of time? 

I don’t know either. It would be useful to know. If it’s 5 minutes that a slight inconvenience (although not if you’re in the back of an ambulance, that’s possibly life-threatening). If it’s an hour or more that could be a big inconvenience, if you’re stuck on the M25 or A40.

They are being singled out as their actions are deliberate and irresponsible.

They are called Insulate Britain. What has this to do with random road blocks? People who care, already know that climate change is disruptive. They shouldn’t be blocking roads in the first place, but protest march organisers usually involve the police. Why are this Insulate Britain lot any different?

What are they hoping will happen as a result of these random road blocks? Is it just to show people what disruption to their lives looks like?

2 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Anyone given any sort of explanation as to why it's "not ok to stop people getting to their work"? 

It should be a fairly easy one to answer - nurses, doctors, care assistants, ambulance drivers, etc. Must be more than that, but those would be the key ones.

Why would the middle class oddballs who seem to comprise the majority of these protests shit in Waitrose?
Because they wouldn't dare slum it with the scum in Asda or Tesco.

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

It should be a fairly easy one to answer - nurses, doctors, care assistants, ambulance drivers, etc. Must be more than that, but those would be the key ones.

Cool so not only are those driving into London to get to their work poor wee Bob Cratchetts a day's pay away from starving to death but now also fully scrubbed up healthcare workers on their way to provide vital treatments. 

What happens when healthcare workers are ill or otherwise unable to get to work out of curiosity?  I imagine that the institutions for which they work might just muddle along! 

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Guy is so proud of himself too, almost as if he's kept that shit in his car HOPING that he gets to use it. Absolutely nobody in these videos comes away looking well tbh. I have empathy with the protestors but I was pissing myself laughing at the boy who glued his head to the road. It's just brilliant. 

Protest needs to disrupt something. If it's not road networks it would be something else. Unless you want all forms of protest made illegal?

There are loads of protest outside the Scottish Parliament or Westminster. What are they disrupting?

4 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Cool so not only are those driving into London to get to their work poor wee Bob Cratchetts a day's pay away from starving to death but now also fully scrubbed up healthcare workers on their way to provide vital treatments. 

What happens when healthcare workers are ill or otherwise unable to get to work out of curiosity?  I imagine that the institutions for which they work might just muddle along! 

I’d imagine they try and find cover and if they can’t, then the people relying on them don’t get the care they need. At least for a while until the Insulate Britain goons get tired and go home for a cuppa.

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

There are loads of protest outside the Scottish Parliament or Westminster. What are they disrupting?

Is that nut job still wandering around parliament square in his EU suit with his placard yelling "Stop Brexit" every 5 seconds or do we think he's given up by now?  How far did his peaceful non-disruptive protest get him?  Not advocating disruptive protesting btw.

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

I’d imagine they try and find cover and if they can’t, then the people relying on them don’t get the care they need. At least for a while until the Insulate Britain goons get tired and go home for a cuppa.

So once again it's in almost all cases (and as far as I can see all recorded cases) minor inconvenience then. You can just say you don't like them you don't have to keep inventing situations in your head to justify why their peaceful protest boils your piss so much pal