Insulate Britain

31 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Car drivers are just entitled as f**k. Constantly moaning about other road users whether they be motorcyclists, buses, bicycles, pedestrians, etc. Usually from a position of incredible ignorance as well... bleating on about road tax and other imaginary devices of their own invention. Yet, despite this weird self proclaimed ownership of the roads they also believe they have a right to the pavement as well for parking on. 

I pay my fucking road tax! (My car is actually exempt, but my point remains)

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I pay my fucking road tax! (My car is actually exempt, but my point remains)

No. You don't. No one does. Road tax doesn't exist. Roads are kept by the central government or local councils. Despite almost never using the roads at all I pay just as much for their upkeep as car owners. 

18 minutes ago, Left Back said:

What if you're a climate scientist trying to get to your work?

Then you should be taking the train/bus/unicycle to work. 

9 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

No. You don't. No one does. Road tax doesn't exist. Roads are kept by the central government or local councils. Despite almost never using the roads at all I pay just as much for their upkeep as car owners. 

Do you pay vehicle tax?

What is the yearly tax people pay on their cars/vans then?

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

So electric cars are bad as well?

They're better but not perfect. You're still using a national grid powered by fossil fuels (43% seems to be the figure I can see online) to charge them, and we're not quite sure how we're going to recycle their batteries yet I don't think. 

They're better but not perfect. You're still using a national grid powered by fossil fuels (43% seems to be the figure I can see online) to charge them, and we're not quite sure how we're going to recycle their batteries yet I don't think. 
So if all personal vehicles that use any sort of power are bad what's the solution to people that need to take heavy essential equipment to do their job?

So if all personal vehicles that use any sort of power are bad what's the solution to people that need to take heavy essential equipment to do their job?
No one wants to acknowledge it, and on some cases people rail against it by using the "we all have to make sacrafices" chat but if you look around you, we live in a world where convenience is the driver for everything.

EVs are better but less convenient and thats a problem. Public transport is better but less convenient and thats a problem. I gave the example already that I literally cannot use public transport to get to work on a dayshift.

Personal vehicles are here to stay until the convenience gap is bridged significantly, and until that time, pricing them out of reach would be hugely unpopular.

4 hours ago, Thorongil said:

In love protests and civil disobedience. It’s great and there should be more of it. 

sitting in the middle of the road is over that line. It’s dangerous and completely stupid, and it’s an attack on the general public rather than policy makers. 

Repeat offenders should certainly get short jail sentences.

If your line is 'sitting in the middle of the road' then, no, you don't love protests and civil disobedience.

29 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Recycling batteries is a big issue they need to address and the mining of the rare metals used in them and mobile phones for rxample is horrific . 

theres other questions too, how to fill the gap in taxes raised when electric cars are in majority, maybe theres ideas how to do that i just havent heard them yet

4 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Sorry if that's how it come across I was genuinely just wondering if you had an idea of a solution, wasnt having a go at you.

My solution would be to invest a ridiculous amount of money in our public transport infrastructure and do what Bairnardo is asking - make it extremely convenient for people to use. If you massively reduce the number of gas guzzling cars being used every day and cut the percentage of those cars using gas it would make a huge difference. We need the main grid to be supplied from clean sources as well, but I accept my solution to that probably wouldn't see me voted in as Prime Minister.