Insulate Britain

29 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Nine Insulate Britain activists have been jailed for breaching a court order.  Two get three months, six four months while one gets six months.

excellent.gif.ad7418fae54a142d4ca1b071b48c2034.gif

Just now, AlbionSaint said:

That's good news. These people are self-righteous, selfish b*****ds. They will see themselves as political prisoners, of course, in the same mould as suffragettes. 

What will locking people up for a maximum of three months do, other than cost the taxpayer.

Can the be rehabilitated to stop their "offending"? Probably not.

Are they a danger to wider society? No.

Prison is not where they should be and the government is using the criminal justice system for political posturing.

8 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

I've never been to jail, but I have a couple of friends who were naughty boys in their younger days (one stabbed a guy whilst working as a kitchen hand, because his dad had just dies of a heart attack and the victim thought it was funny) and it's not a nice place to be. Forget what you read in the Daily Mail about it being a luxury hotel, it's really not. They are there to be punished.

1. What is the alternative? A day in the stocks? I suppose they could be heavily fined, but what if they refuse or don't have the means of paying their fine?

2. If you believe that these people are some sort of heroes, then I would ask yourself to consider how you would feel if you're on your way to a job interview or a hospital appointment or are trying to take your sick pet to a vet, or whatever, and you're being held up by these b*****ds. 

3. To be honest, the best and swiftest justice would have been for a group of masked vigilantes to set about them with baseball bats and for all the people held up in the vehicles to have seen nothing.

1. The alternative is to let them get on with it, obviously.

2. I’d probably be a bit annoyed, but then I’d be annoyed if I was held up because a bus broke down or two cars crashed, but I wouldn’t be wanting them sent to jail for it.

3. You’re a complete wrongun.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

4 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

I've never been to jail, but I have a couple of friends who were naughty boys in their younger days (one stabbed a guy whilst working as a kitchen hand, because his dad had just dies of a heart attack and the victim thought it was funny) and it's not a nice place to be. Forget what you read in the Daily Mail about it being a luxury hotel, it's really not. They are there to be punished.

What is the alternative? A day in the stocks? I suppose they could be heavily fined, but what if they refuse or don't have the means of paying their fine?

If you believe that these people are some sort of heroes, then I would ask yourself to consider how you would feel if you're on your way to a job interview or a hospital appointment or are trying to take your sick pet to a vet, or whatever, and you're being held up by these b*****ds. 

To be honest, the best and swiftest justice would have been for a group of masked vigilantes to set about them with baseball bats and for all the people held up in the vehicles to have seen nothing.

They aren't exclusively there to be punished though.

I don't believe they are committing a crime the criminalisation of protest is extremely dangerous something I'm sure no one wants to see.

The court order says they can't block roads well remove them from the roads then the police have the power to do so and always have even though the Government wasted even more tax payers money making new orders and laws to deal with this.

As for your suggestions for masked people to beat protestors then frankly you are a sick individual whos view of the world isn't compatible with a modern, just and fair society. Seek help.

Quite divisive this isn't it?  🤔

I'd like to make it clear I don't really want them strung up or set on fire. But they have absolutely no right to interupt ordinary people going about their everyday business. No right whatsoever :rolleyes:

Just now, Tynie Trotwood said:

What they should do for a punishment is make them drive around in the back of an suv for a few days.

The diesel van they will trundle to jail in will be enough to trigger them.

1 minute ago, AlbionSaint said:

Really? Standing in a square with a placard is now illegal? Are you sure that you're not being biased here? I mean, if it was the EDL blocking roads would you not expect them to get the jail?

Nobody should be gluing their hands to the surface of the roads and stopping traffic like this, it goes beyond protest. 

Of course, holding "DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING" signs is the only legitimate form of protest. If you want protest diluted down to that you're either an authoritarian or a complete idiot. 

3 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

The purpose of prison in this instance is primarily as punishment.

No it's not, it's a deterrent to other activists not to block roads, which is a complete waste of my and your taxes as these people have already said it won't deter them. Shrewd move by the government. 

Wanting "rehabilitation" of people asking for their roof to be insulated :lol:

Listen to yourselves. 

28 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

Really? Standing in a square with a placard is now illegal? Are you sure that you're not being biased here? I mean, if it was the EDL blocking roads would you not expect them to get the jail?

Nobody should be gluing their hands to the surface of the roads and stopping traffic like this, it goes beyond protest. 

The Scottish version of the EDL block roads all the time without people crying about missed interviews or delayed hospital visits, it's just that instead of the SDL they just do it under the guise of the Orange Order.

1 hour ago, AlbionSaint said:

What is the alternative? A day in the stocks? I suppose they could be heavily fined, but what if they refuse or don't have the means of paying their fine?

If you believe that these people are some sort of heroes, then I would ask yourself to consider how you would feel if you're on your way to a job interview or a hospital appointment or are trying to take your sick pet to a vet, or whatever, and you're being held up by these b*****ds. 

To be honest, the best and swiftest justice would have been for a group of masked vigilantes to set about them with baseball bats and for all the people held up in the vehicles to have seen nothing.

Punishment is only one part of why people are sent to prison.  Protection of the public is another (you might be able to make a case that jailing these people is protecting the public from their nuisance.  It probably isn't unless you jailed everyone from IB) but that tends to be from violence rather than inconvenience.  The third reason is to rehabilitate them.

I'm not defending their actions but jailing them serves no real purpose as punishment alone doesn't work in the thinking of our criminal justice system.

59 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

You don't believe stopping traffic, and potentially holding up ambulances and fire engines should be a crime? I'd be happy for them to stand at the side of the road with placards, but when they're being this anti-social then something must be done - hopefully by the authorities and not vigilantes. :)

If they can be rehabilitated, then fine. I think it'd be a tough job to persuade someone with very strong political views that they're misguided, though. The purpose of prison in this instance is primarily as punishment.

There were no recorded instances of emergency services being stuck in traffic.

I have seen first hand the XR protests clear the road to allow an ambulance through.

Restricting people's liberties by locking them up should only be used when the general public is at risk, it should never be used primarily as a means of punishment. Especially not to punish people who are guilt of quietly and peacefully protesting and often victims of assault.

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

There were no recorded instances of emergency services being stuck in traffic.

I have seen first hand the XR protests clear the road to allow an ambulance through.

Restricting people's liberties by locking them up should only be used when the general public is at risk, it should never be used primarily as a means of punishment. Especially not to punish people who are guilt of quietly and peacefully protesting and often victims of assault.

I wouldn't call gluing yourself to the carriageway to block it peacefully protesting.  You're causing a disturbance and therefore not peaceful.

8 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I had a summer job shifting 20k bags of rockwool.

I'd rather the world burned than do that again. 

I misread that as "I had a summer job shitting bags of rockwool".  It did seem a strange thing to be paid for.