Which Clubs in the Highland League in Five Seasons' Time?

Dev

1 minute ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Until an official statement is released from SPFL/SFA HL or LL or indeed all of them in unison then I remain very sceptical . 

You'd have thought at least one paper or broadcaster would have covered the story if there was anything in it. I suspect Official Catchup has got the wrong end of the stick, or it's still being discussed.

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Might be helpful to share those then since the only thing that gets posted about it comes from the podcast.

On 02/11/2021 at 17:33, leomessi1984 said:

With todays news......could be Fort William 🙉

On 02/11/2021 at 18:16, Gimme said:

That the 11 clubs who wanted the Old Firm colts in have given the SFA reason to remove the Highland / Lowland boundary.

...beyond that these same podcast people had Thomas Brown on to explain how the boundary issue was being linked by the SFA to the rules changes the LL needed. Anyone expecting something official from the LL at this point or for anyone to go on the record in the mainstream media should bear in mind that Thomas Brown was reported to have been subsequently contacted by the SFA's compliance officer.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Thomas Brown said there that the HL had agreed to pyramid rule changes. Did he mean about getting rid of the Tay boundary? If so I find it incredible that no statements have been made by the relevant bodies and it hasn't been mentioned in the sport pages. It's like secret negotiations and agreements between the Vatican, Opus Dei and the Jesuits or something. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Thomas Brown said there that the HL had agreed to pyramid rule changes. Did he mean about getting rid of the Tay boundary? If so I find it incredible that no statements have been made by the relevant bodies and it hasn't been mentioned in the sport pages. It's like secret negotiations and agreements between the Vatican, Opus Dei and the Jesuits or something. 

Ah but is it not a really exciting time for Scottish football according to some St Johnstone fan  on the LL thread ? 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

It's how Scottish football operates a lot of the time. How much interest do you think there is in rule changes at tier 5? The only reason this saga got any press attention from the national media previously was the Old Firm colts might get booted out angle.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9906849/Rangers-Celtics-colts-teams-involved-huge-row-concerning-future.html

Since that youtube interview George Fraser resigned as chairman of the LL due to the mess described and Thomas Brown was voted in instead.

http://slfl.co.uk/lowland-league-elects-new-chairperson/

• 1 month later...

The line of latitude boundary between the HL and LL in the Club 42 playoff rules is now completely gone apparently:

Remains to be seen if Brechin City will need to get promoted out of the HL to be able to take advantage of this in future. Would be amusing if they wind up permanently stuck in the HL and/or Midlands League and the redrafted Club 42 rule change winds up doing the square root of SFA in the larger scheme of things, but I doubt so much time and effort would have been expended on this matter for that to be the ultimate outcome. On the bright side we'll probably never see a detailed street map of Luncarty with a horizontal line throught it again on here. It was always a red herring.

• 2 months later...

Huntly and Keith would have little choice to go into the North Juniors, given the players they usually get come from Aberdeen. Selling the NCL to their squads would be all but impossible, given they're already struggling to convince Toonsers to come out that far. Huntly are starting to pick out talent from Moray, however, so they may have a plan. 

Lossie, Forres, Clach and the like, tho. Would a team rather 20-odd Superleague games and a playoff against Loch Ness or whoever, or 18 less-challenging NCL ties and then two hard playoff games against a battle-hardened Culter?

As both WB and Shaker hav stated above is probably the way it will go.....,anyone West from Rothes/Elgin/Lossie will certainly consider the NCL as the best place to play as its easier to get out off.

Also further west and north you go it becomes more alluring travel wise too,Orkney aside........

1 minute ago, Whitburn Vale said:

As both WB and Shaker hav stated above is probably the way it will go.....,anyone West from Rothes/Elgin/Lossie will certainly consider the NCL as the best place to play as its easier to get out off.

Also further west and north you go it becomes more alluring travel wise too,Orkney aside........

Orkney once a year would be a silver cloud on demotion for me! And they have plenty cups to make up for the fewer league fixtures. Bringing the whole NCL into the North Cup might be an idea too.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Orkney once a year would be a silver cloud on demotion for me! And they have plenty cups to make up for the fewer league fixtures. Bringing the whole NCL into the North Cup might be an idea too.

Totally agree wb......,that would be a cracking idea,getting all the NCL teams competing in the North Cup,they're in the pyramid now,so why not ......

On Orkney I'd be the same,trip of the season stuff  😍

I don't think there's been anything to stop clubs from the NCL signing up for the North of Scotland Cup. Except themselves. This season's had Golspie Sutherland in it. 2019-20 had them and Invergordon. Pretty sure Halkirk, Thurso, and St Duthus have been in it in the last 10 years as well.

53 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I don't think there's been anything to stop clubs from the NCL signing up for the North of Scotland Cup. Except themselves. This season's had Golspie Sutherland in it. 2019-20 had them and Invergordon. Pretty sure Halkirk, Thurso, and St Duthus have been in it in the last 10 years as well.

Golspie were scheduled to play in Grantown but didn't, either Covid in the squad or the Covid regs were too much hassle. It's a bit strange if they're all offered it but refuse, you'd think the players would be well up for it.

Edited by welshbairn

55 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Not sure of the inner workings of Scottish football, but could either the spfl, SFA, etc actually tell club 42 where they are going - and would the removal of any boundaries help their cause ? Down south we get Gloucester City in National North, absurd ,with some ridiculous away fixtures.

The SFA have apparently changed the rules so club 42 can go where they want, just as the geographical boundary has been settled and the pyramid is finally a thing. I can only think Ken Ferguson is playing the SFA from beyond his blazer days.

17 hours ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Totally agree wb......,that would be a cracking idea,getting all the NCL teams competing in the North Cup,they're in the pyramid now,so why not ......

On Orkney I'd be the same,trip of the season stuff  😍

Orkney away would be quality.

We used to play Shetland and Golspie Sutherland in a friendly every season. Golspie game was for a memorial trophy, not sure why it stopped, was a good away day, liked Golspies pitch and Golspie the place itself.

17 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The SFA have apparently changed the rules so club 42 can go where they want, ...

Bit more complicated than that. If there is a disagreement between the club and the leagues involved over the issue then the SFA board ultimately get to decide.